Sign in to follow this  
tjeuten

Help me decide: Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0 or PMDG 737-NGX

NGX. Best modern airliner made for a desk top sim to date in my opinion.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you all for your replies. Think I will follow most of your advise and go with the NGX. Will decide in the next few days. Thanks again

Mathieu Souphy

Thank you all for your replies. Think I will follow most of your advise and go with the NGX. Will decide in the next few days. Thanks again
Before you jump, what are your system specs? The NGX is a very demanding lady (especially memory), and if your system isn't up to it, you may be better off with the Citation X. You will find it hardest, if you are running a 32bit OS. You can still get it to work, but you may have to jump through some hoops, like reduce settings or alternatively (Which is what I did) disable unused (3rd party addon) Startup DLL's. CPU wise, minimum I would say is 3.0Ghz, if you can tolerate a little jitter at busy airports, higher if you want it totally smooth. Also if you have a video card with a large amount of Graphic memory, you may have trouble, since that space needs to be allocated in the Virtual Address Space, leaving less available to the App (FSX). Remember FSX is a 32bit Application, which limits it to 4GB VAS, even on a 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I7 2600K 3.4Ghz, 8GB of RAM (Windows 7 Ultimate 64), NVidia GTX 580... should be ok with that I think

Mathieu Souphy

I have no experience in OC'ing but I've read the sandy bridge lets itself overclock pretty easily. Do you happen to have a "noob" guide to OC'ing these things ?

Mathieu Souphy

You'll need to overclock it until at least 4ghz.
Actually a stock SB cpu will do pretty well with high settings in FSX. But yeah, OCing is key for more power! I just made a SB OCing Guide post in the hardware thread, see this:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/350929-new-rig-finally-ordered/page__view__findpost__p__2140213

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's very easy to overclock from the motherboards bios. I only have experience with Asus. Perform a search for your board.

I7 2600K 3.4Ghz, 8GB of RAM (Windows 7 Ultimate 64), NVidia GTX 580... should be ok with that I think
Nice system! The only thing that may give you some trouble is the GTX580, (memory wise) I believe that's a 1.5GB card?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Board is an Asus P8P67 Deluxe. Tried the "fast" autotune setting with the Asus AI Suite II, it OC'ed it to 4.4Ghz but on a test with Prime95 the CPU was hitting 85°C temp so I quit the test and reverted to the "optimized values" in the Bios. Cooler is a Noctua NH-C14 Think I should be able to OC it safely to 4Ghz but will need to find out how to do that without using the AI Suite autotuner...

Mathieu Souphy

You should be able to go to 4.6 easily. I'm running an i5 and it peaks around 58 in FSX.