Sign in to follow this  
RestUnknown

Does it really climb and accelerate that slow?

Hi all Lovely aircraft, but I have some questions.When I pass 30000 ft, the vertical speed is about 500 f/s. When I'm barely reaching 300 f/s, I tried to level off and tried to accelerate to mach 2.0 (I know I'll be at overspeed, but just wanted to check). But it takes AGES, lets say in 5 minutes I've gained 0.05 mach if I'm lucky. Is this because it's just too heavy or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Sounds as if it is an OAT issue. What is the SAT (Static Air Temp) showing for 30,000 ft on that climbout? Are you using a wx program, ASE, FSINN? Standard Air Temp at that altitude should be -45C! You should be getting much higher climb-rate under normal conditions until you reach above M1.7 when afterburners cut out. It then begins to climb more and more slowly and usually won't reach M2.00 until about 50,000 ft or so. BTW the plane is not designed to accelerate to M2.00 at 30,000 ft! I will outline the normal procedure for you. Initial climb is 390 KIAS / M .95 to FL280. At acceleration fix, afterburners are lit and a slight pitch up to maintain 400 KIAS until passing M 1.00 then engage Max Climb and the aircraft will continue to accelerate as it climbs. In standard conditions expect M 1.03 at FL300M 1.20 at FL350M 1.40 at FL385M 1.60 at FL420Then at M 1.70 cutoff afterburnersM 1.80 at FL455M 1.90 at FL480and then with reducing climb rate will gradually accelerate to either a RAT of just below 127C or M2.00 by FL500 A good book (if you can still find it) by Brian Calvert called "Flying Condorde" is a detailed description of an entire trans-Atlantic flight from startup to shutdown. I use the Concorde FSX model and it performs right by the numbers on all phases of fllght for me.

The static air temp is -45°C, it's just the default setting from FS itself (I'm using FS9 btw) "fair weather". Is there perhaps a setting I forgot? Although I followed the tuturial spot on...Perhaps the engine intakes not configured correctly? Although the VFE is engaged. Now at 33000 I have about 76000 kg's of fuel left. But I don't think being too heavy is the issue, cause as I accelerate the simulation rate, it keeps climbing at 400f/s (altitude is set at 50000, max climb engaged, throttle manually at full and afterburners lit) How long does it take to get you from FL350 to FL400?

It seems I can't achieve full throttle, when I engage AT and let it acquire 400 knots, N2 goes to about 110. But when I do full throttle manually (as it should be) and engage max climb, my N2 reduces to 105-106, which isn't sufficient to even maintain speed at a level flight. Any solutions for this? PS: Pressing F4 doesn't help either. I see the throttles go to max positions, but immediately go back down by 2 millimeters

If i remember correctly 105/106 is tha max for N2. If you are unable to climb/cruise at this setting something else is wrong with your set up. Concorde needs to climb to accelerate, so dont expect M2 at 30,000 feet ...it cant be done.climb from 350 to 400 should not take long. you will have reheat on at this stage. Is the cog correct ?ps. Do you have airspeed in FS9 set to "indicated" ?Peter

Peter Schluter

Is the FSLabs concordeX ?If so, you climb with autothrottle off and IAS ACQ lit up at 390 knots. That way it climbs at full power to maintain 390 knots.If this is an initial climb out and you at ALT ACQ engaged, you can engage the A/T at 20,000ft or something so that it levels out at 27,000 and maintains 390 knots.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

What do you mean with is the cog correct?Yep, airspeed is indicated.At Mark, it's the PSS for FS2004.I'll try to follow the tutorial again.But can you guys check the throttle issue out? If it acts the same with you, then I know for sure it's some kind of setting.So disengage A/T and then go to full throttle and watch your levers. Do they jump a little bit down?Thanks!

No problem! I've taken a screenshot when I was at FL310, full throttle and max climb engaged. I got 1100 f/s (which isn't normal I guess).VFE is engagedhttp://i55.tinypic.com/1zptxjt.jpg

All your settings are fine (the tank 11 de-air pump should be on though !).You are in the transonic climb phase... the plane will be accelerating and climbing on full manual throttle plus reheat. Your vertical speed will vary, but as long as you are accelerating dont worry about the vertical speed. At points it will drop to 500f/m, or even descend depending on wind/temperature...that is how cruise climb works on Concorde.Your a/c weight is showing as 166,000 kg. From the cruise/climb performance charts you wont get above FL520 until your a/c weight is 140,000 kg (at standard ISA temperature)I think you are expecting to climb too quickly. The concorde tables i have suggest it will take 55 minutes to get from FL310 to FL500 at your present weight.

Peter Schluter

I can confirm max N2 is 105.6 during reheat use...maximum 15 minutes use. Without reheat max N2 is 105.3. So if you get a higher N2 with the autothrottle I suggest the PSS does not model that correctly.Cog : centre of gravity.

Peter Schluter

All your settings are fine (the tank 11 de-air pump should be on though !).You are in the transonic climb phase... the plane will be accelerating and climbing on full manual throttle plus reheat. Your vertical speed will vary, but as long as you are accelerating dont worry about the vertical speed. At points it will drop to 500f/m, or even descend depending on wind/temperature...that is how cruise climb works on Concorde.Your a/c weight is showing as 166,000 kg. From the cruise/climb performance charts you wont get above FL520 until your a/c weight is 140,000 kg (at standard ISA temperature)I think you are expecting to climb too quickly. The concorde tables i have suggest it will take 55 minutes to get from FL310 to FL500 at your present weight.
Really, 55 minutes? I thought the climb would be over in 15 minutes or so because of the power of the engines...I'm indeed quite heavy, I started the flight on the runway and didn't wait before I was above the ocean to break the sound barrier...Thanks for the help and looking on a low resolution picture! I'll have another go at it in a few minutes.
I can confirm max N2 is 105.6 during reheat use...maximum 15 minutes use. Without reheat max N2 is 105.3. So if you get a higher N2 with the autothrottle I suggest the PSS does not model that correctly.Cog : centre of gravity.
Yeah with A/T engaged the N2 got to 109/110, but I'm glad 105-106 is normal, thanks!EDIT: well it seems I just wasn't patiented enough, FL350 seems to be a turning point where it needs to accelerate and then she's literally off, at FL400 I'm achieving a climb of 2500f/s and accelerating quite fast. Ok I lowered the fuel to about 40000kg's, but if it was a normal payload, I'd still probably get 1500f/s.Thanks for getting me to wait! Now to learn the INS and I can get my EGLL - KJFK flights going.Thanks to all!

you were at the weight that is normal for a transatlantic flight. I have only rarely achieved 60,000 feet on a flight. most times i need to begin decent from around 52-56 ,000 feet. Good luck with the PSS a/c. It is a lovely model, but i had issues when on descent /approach with the handling. I now use the SSTSIM concodrde for FS9.The key thing to remember is that in order to climb to the higher flight levels it needs to burn off the fuel.

Peter Schluter

I've read better reviews from the SSTSIM too, but when getting the PSS I didn't do the necessary research...But I'll see if I have the same issue, if so I'll probably buy the SST.Thanks again for the help man!

Climb at 390 kts approx 1000 feet/minWhen you reach Mach 0.91 Hold your altitude2 Disengage the autothrottles3 Dial in 50,000 ft4 Engage the afterburners5 Push the throttles to 100%6 Engage Alt Acq7 Engage Max Climb8 When reaching Mach 1.7 disengage the afterburners9 Max Cruise will engage automatically(the first 7 stages are carried out quite quickly)Climb at first is approx 4,000 ft/min but drops down steadily. Concorde cruised between 50,000 to 60,000 ft depending on the Total Air Temperature;at subsonic cruise the TAT was around -50C but at Mach 2 the kinetic energy of the air rubbing on the airplane skin made to TAT around +100C.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.