Sign in to follow this  
sluihn

Did i dream this...

I think i remember seeing a setting in Nicks FSX setup that was for photographic scenery that allowed better loading of tiles for crisper images. Was this just something i dreamt up? Thanks in advance?Steve

Are you thinking of this line from the FSX.cfg file: LOD_RADIUS=4.500000Changing to 5.5 or 6.5 can extend the diameter that textures, photo and default, are drawn. It gets reset to 4.5 any time a change is made inside FSX's setting page and would need to be manually edited again.

To meshman:I would like to try this change, but not familiar with how to do it. Any chance you could do a step-by-step instruction? Where do I go to find FSX.cfg file: LOD_RADIUS=4.500000? And, can I mess up the whole program if I fiddle with it?Thanks.Rick

Editing your fsx.cfg file, while straightforward and relatively safe, can lead to unforseen troubles. Always ALWAYS back up your existing config file somewhere safe before attempting to manipulate it.Your FSX config file is sitting in your user account directory, buried in a hidden folder which differs from XP to Vista/W7. On my Windows 7 machine, it is located in...C: Users (My User Account) AppData Roaming Microsoft FSX fsx.cfg(AppData is the normally hidden folder)This location will be different on an XP machine. A quick search on the FSX forum here at AVSIM will point you to it.Making the edit...

• Be sure FSX is closed and not running.
  • Find and open the FSX.cfg file in your favorite text editor... or just use Notepad.
  • Search the file for the text "LOD_RADIUS" and you will be brought to the appropriate line in the file.
  • Edit the number associated with the LOD_RADIUS line - it should read 4.500000... change it to the number you desire, perhaps 5.500000 or 6.500000.
  • Save and close the file.
  • Launch FSX and take a look to see if anything changed.

Remember - if you edit ANY settings in FSX relating to scenery, traffic, or other similar details, whatever change you made above will be reset to 4.5.Good luck, and if you really hose something up, just replace the messed up .cfg file with your backup. Alternatively, you can simply delete the FSX.cfg file completely and the simulator will "reset" itself to factory default settings when you next launch it, and it will re-create a clean config file for you.-Greg

Thanks, Greg! Since I really don't know what I'm doing, I'll just leave it the way it is. It works fine, I just thought having the scenery come in focus sooner would be good, but I certainly can live with the way it is. If there was just an extremely small chance that I could screw it up, I would. Thanks for the good advice.Rick