Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

FSUIPC and NGX = Smooth as Butter - Well Almost!

I have always assigned my AXIS in FSX and none in FSUIPC cause it was recommended not to. On top of that with all the options in FSUIPC it looked a little intimidating. Last night I decided to play around with it and see for myself how it worked with the NGX. I also flew a flight from VTBS (Suvarnabhumi ) to VRMM (Male Atolls) to test it out from gate to gate. My findings? The NGX never handled so well before. It is a complete joy to hand fly at any stage of the flight. FSUIPC is way beyond FSX in terms of smoothness and there really is no comparison. So I am sharing how I got started so that if anyone else is interested they can try this as well.Before I get into FSUIPC I want to point out that I am also using the following line in FSX.cfg This line goes under [CONTROLS] section in your FSX.cfg file. stick_sensitivity_mode=0The first thing I did was to delete ALL Assigned AXIS in FSX. It is best to do this so there are not conflicts with FSUIPC, and of course at this point your controlls will cease to function.Now that you have done that go to the link below for a tutorial on how to setup FSUIPC AXIS. You start by asigning an AXIS then Calibrating it and repeat the steps for each AXIS you want to assign. Once your done and do your first flight you will be amazed at how silky smooth the NGX handles compared to FSX. http://www.md80proje...0Part%20III.pdfImportant Note: I assigned all my AXIS through FSUIPC EXCEPT for the Reversers. Maybe some of you have been able to make this work with consistency but I have not. The problem is whenever you assign it to your throttle controls or even use a seperate axis to deploy them it seems to take a long time for them to kick in and they do not always do so. Even when they do operated you have to move it slightly to deploy it, wait a second then move it all the way to full. Sometimes this can take 2 or 3 seconds which can be an eternity on a short runway such as SBRJ which is only 4300 ft long. I need consistency and the reversers to kick in right away on touch down for airports like these or I will end up in the water.I have also noticed it tends to mess with the auto throttle at times. So with that in mind I still use the Trigger of my X52-Pro with the FSX command to decrease throttle to engage my reversers immediately without delay. Other than the above issue with the reversers everything handles like butter. Before when flying with FSX AXIS and without the stick_sensitivity_mode=0 line in my FSX.cfg the NGX as well as my other PMDG planes seem kind of jerky and when trying to apply small corrections on final it seems to go too far. Now when I try to do that everything acts very smooth and sensitive. You can use the Slope option to fine tune how sensitive each plane is. (Ie making the 737 more sensitive than the 747)Finally it is a good practice to make sure before leaving the gate that you open FSUIPC and test a few buttons and make sure your controllers are functioning. Whenever you open FSUIPC it refreshes all your settings. Example if you are sitting at the gate and your controllers get disconnected for a split second then FSUIPC would probably stop working correctly but by opening it up and testing your controls it refreshes and all works fine again.So other than the Thrust Reverser issue this configuration is totally awesome. Try it and see for yourself.

Thank you Paul,I've been looking at this for a few days now.Just trying to figure out how to activate reverse thrust using a button as I'm only using a joystick with a throttle, not a yoke and seperate throttle. Any takers if that can be done?? I have tried, but just can't seem to get it to work properly.Thanks again Paul.Just read your post again - I will try programming F2 to a button and see if I get better results!!

Edited by matelot2011

The best way to do the reverser's on a button in FSUIPC is to program "Throttle_dec" to the "button press" and "Throttle_cut" to the the button release, you must also remember to tick the box "repeat while button held" for the "Throttle_dec" command otherwise you will only get reverse idle. That way reverser's will work full power while the button is held then immediately stow the moment you release the button, its not totally realistic but it works.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi GavinThis may or may not be of use to you but I will tell you how I have my Saitek throttles set up for reverse thrust. When the throttles are pulled back,they come to a detent which is idle. Pulled further back activates a reverse feature in the Saitek set up. I have assigned F2 ("Throttle..Decrese Quickly" in FSX) to one of the throttles reversers in the Saitek profile that I have set up and pulling the throttles past this point activates reverse thrust. As soon as you push the throttles back into the idle position they are canceled and the throttles return to idle. So may be you can just press F2 if you don't have this "detent" feature in your joystick and as soon as you move tour throttle forward a little it should cancel the reverse thrust.Hope this is some help to you.Dennis

Dennis Elliott

The besmust also remember to tick the box "repeat while button held" for the "Throttle_dec" command otherwise you will only get reverse idlet way to do the reverser's on a button in FSUIPC is to program "Throttle_dec" to the "button press" and "Throttle_cut" to the the button release, you
I tried this too last night with the throttle cut off. Only problem with doing it this way it works fine as far as cutting off the reversers , but the Spoilers still stay up until you hit another key to retract them. Just seems a lot easier, more reliable and less hassle to just assign a button to the reversers and when your done with them move the throttle foward and back real fast to get everything to disengage all at once.

I did all my axis assignments through FSUIPC, with exception of the throttles.They will work perfectly when running through FSUIPC, but mine tend to spike and mess up the autothrottle.Apparently, it's not possible to disable throttle input when auto throttle is turned on if FSUIPC controls the throttles.That was the only drawback I've found so far.

Dave P. Woycek

Search for a post I made on this months ago...there are ways to set throttles up, and reverses so that, one in doesn't mess up autothrottle, and also so that a lever works as reversers allowing you to apply reversers as you want rather than button pressing.Basically you use some of the extra features of fsupic to command actions when your levers are also at a specific point, and only action if moving down or up as you need.An example being my lever which applies reverse, as for the first part of the movement of the lever the command throttle cut, this is due to some of the issues the ngx as with the various idle settings(in essence its too slow at commanding idle on touch down) as you move the lever further it continues to apply reverse, like wise on moving back down, you can set it to command throttle cut on part of the scale, and or spoilers down to if you wish(can someone clarify if in real life the spoilers automatically clear unless high power applied) One final point with using fsupic is to ensure when calibrating is to actually not set values at the full ranges of lever, so when setting up move lever fully forward then back a bit before clicking the button. This helps with spikes...I also tend to find that on initial start up of sim it's worth moving your levers around, before starting engines etc, just to clear it out, so you don't get the reverse spike thing.

I spent most of today setting my CH Eclipse and pedals in fsuipc, and wow!!! it is a totaly different experience. I can now taxi at just above idle (before it was about 36% N1) and brakes now work as they should ( Thanks to Richard for his settings) and now have a working lever to operate reverse thrust. A big thanks to Paul Denner.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Search for a post I made on this months ago...there are ways to set throttles up, and reverses so that, one in doesn't mess up autothrottle, and also so that a lever works as reversers allowing you to apply reversers as you want rather than button pressing.Basically you use some of the extra features of fsupic to command actions when your levers are also at a specific point, and only action if moving down or up as you need.An example being my lever which applies reverse, as for the first part of the movement of the lever the command throttle cut, this is due to some of the issues the ngx as with the various idle settings(in essence its too slow at commanding idle on touch down) as you move the lever further it continues to apply reverse, like wise on moving back down, you can set it to command throttle cut on part of the scale, and or spoilers down to if you wish(can someone clarify if in real life the spoilers automatically clear unless high power applied)One final point with using fsupic is to ensure when calibrating is to actually not set values at the full ranges of lever, so when setting up move lever fully forward then back a bit before clicking the button. This helps with spikes...I also tend to find that on initial start up of sim it's worth moving your levers around, before starting engines etc, just to clear it out, so you don't get the reverse spike thing.
Thanks for your post. But I don't have any problems with the reversers. I've set them up myself to work on a separate axis, with certain actions being triggered when the lever travels through certain ranges.My point is about assigning throttles (I do not use reverse on the throttles, like I said, I have a separate axis for the reversers) through FSUIPC.Everything will work, but when setting up the NG to ignore any throttle input when AT is active, throttle input will *not* be ignored when the throttles run through FSUIPC. Throttle input will only be ignored as requested when the throttle axes are sent as normal FS axes.Since my throttles tend to spike, AT might disconnect and thrust levers will move uncommanded because the "ignore throttle input when AT is active" setting doesn't work with throttle axes running through FSUIPC calibration.This is especially annoying when taking off.

Dave P. Woycek

Thanks for your post. But I don't have any problems with the reversers. I've set them up myself to work on a separate axis, with certain actions being triggered when the lever travels through certain ranges.My point is about assigning throttles (I do not use reverse on the throttles, like I said, I have a separate axis for the reversers) through FSUIPC.Everything will work, but when setting up the NG to ignore any throttle input when AT is active, throttle input will *not* be ignored when the throttles run through FSUIPC. Throttle input will only be ignored as requested when the throttle axes are sent as normal FS axes.Since my throttles tend to spike, AT might disconnect and thrust levers will move uncommanded because the "ignore throttle input when AT is active" setting doesn't work with throttle axes running through FSUIPC calibration.This is especially annoying when taking off.
well must be something still not doing right - and I have same set up as you in that I use a seperate lever to do the reverse. I have two SAITEK throttle quadrants one of which tends to spike a bit more and with how I have it set up one engine throttle is on the one and the other engine on the other.However I have no issues with the levers not commanding when they shouldnt as it were using the same setting in the FMC. So there must be something else that needs doing...I'll try and think and see what I can suggest to help.

+1 to whatever. I just want to be able to get back to this thread at a later date. I'm sure there is a better way, but until I figure it out, this is it. I would very much like to get reversers working properly on the props or mixture levers.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

And what about using LINDA to set the joystick appropriately? Did anyone tried or is it too hard?I am currently using FSX and FSUIPC for the joystick setup/calibration but I would like to use FSUIPC only (or LINDA?).

Edmundo Azevedo

LINDA only allows you to program joystick buttons, it does not deal with a joystick axis in any way.

Cheers, Andy.

Although Linda is a great addition to setting your yokes and switches up, to use Linda you need fsupic anyhow. I use fsupic for all my axis and Linda handles all the buttons.