Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Fire in Wheel Well? RED LIGHT near fire extinguishers during flight

Alarm bell sounded. Light remains lit. Don't know how to put out fire.????Also, brakes stopped working during taxi prior to takeoff??? what's up with that?Luckily I was cleared for takeoff so I just rolled out onto the runway and took off.Alarm beep beep beep during flight similar to exceeding noise abatement limits when I am at FL300 no message on CDU have no idea how to stop that annoying noise (same one if you try to apply power when parking brake is set)Anyone/?thanks.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

You overheated your brakes on the ground, and they heat soaked when you pulled em up after takeoff and lit your plane on fire. I think you need to drop your gear in flight to put the fire out (not 100% though, check the QRH?)

Yup, You overheated the brakes most likley during Taxi.If your in the air and you got the alarm, You have to drop your gear and stay below 250 knots I believe it is to cool them down. Which takes a VERY long time IMO. but yes thats the right thing to do. If this did happen, You can expect to have no brakes when you land. Both times this has happened to me I had the brakes cooled right down to 0 and they would not stop my aircraft at all once I landed (Most likely cause i burned them right out)

Derek Lane

Passenger Division Vice-President

AirHaul Airline Alliance

how come you guys are riding the brakes during taxi?
The first time It happend to me my brakes were stuck on and I didn't notice the until the last second. The second time it happend it just did it, I only applyed the brakes 2-3 times while taxing but for some reason those 2-3 times caused them to over heat.I havent had this issue since however. I'm just posting to give the OP some info

Derek Lane

Passenger Division Vice-President

AirHaul Airline Alliance

Guest dlrk

Sometimes the NGX loads with brakes failed. Also, ASX wind shift stabilization causes wheel well fires.

Did you just use FSX Push Pack with your wheels still chocked? Should always remove your chocks with the Ground Crew option and use the FMC Pushback option.

Brake temperatures on the Lower DU are displayed in 100s of degrees Celsius. Once they turn amber (500 degrees C, from memory) you should probably get them cooled before doing anything else. If you manage to hit 1000 degrees, your brakes will literally be up in steam.

I think it is easy to think the push crew will pull your chokes for you. It appears they will but this will screw with the programming somehow.

Often if the aircraft is light, it will run away if you don't use brakes. The correct technique is to allow it to accelerate, then brake down to a slow speed, then allow it to accelerate etc etc. Although at normal weights it shouldn't be necessary.