Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Whole Computer Freezes on EHD Plug In... HELP!

Hi everyone!So, I have a WD Elements External Hard Drive (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002QEBMBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319506065&sr=8-1 to be exact) and EVERY time I plug it into my computer, it will automatically start freezing the whole computer.... Like first Skype freezes if I'm using it, then Chrome freezes, then Windows Explorer freezes, causing the whole computer to mess up and just come to an unstable state.... What is going on over here? Once the computer freezes, I usually manually shut the computer down (pressing down power button) and when it restarts, I can normally replug in the EHD with no problems, and I can do whatever business I would (and should) be doing. Then, after a while of not using the EHD, (say I went on vacation and I have a couple of pictures to import) I would replug it in, and BAM. Everything freezes again, and then I must force shut down, etc. etc. etc.Please, has anyone experienced this before? I Googled this and it came up with THOUSANDS of results with many people with the same problem (some even with the exact same EHD).

Which PSU do you have ? does the HDD work properly on any other machine ?It could be a problem with the HDD too.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Well, I have a standard 300 watt PSU. But the EHD has a power adapter, so it isint powered by USB.
Have you tried the EHD on an other machine ? Could you also try connecting the EHD on different USB ports and also connect it before starting the machine and see if the machine boots up.

Have you tried the EHD on an other machine ? Could you also try connecting the EHD on different USB ports and also connect it before starting the machine and see if the machine boots up.
I did try it on some other machines, and the USB port think is the same thing. I'll try to contact Western Digital tomorrow to see if they can help me. Hopefully I don't have to return it. Worried.gif

I did try it on some other machines, and the USB port think is the same thing. I'll try to contact Western Digital tomorrow to see if they can help me. Hopefully I don't have to return it. Worried.gif
The worst part is the data when you have to return it for repairs.

Did it work on any other machine? Or same thing? If the same, you might have to return it, and if you have data on it, think about taking it apart to save your data, in 99% cases it's the USB electronics than HDD itself. You can connect it via SATA directly. If you can easily take it apart and put it together again, then it's good, maybe doesn't even void warranty.Otherwise it's your choice, loss of what, 100€ or your data. If important data, you can be happy that it "only" costs you 100€ if the disk is working...I saved 2 external harddisks that way. And bought a cheap tray to insert them. Excellent for backups.

Did it work on any other machine? Or same thing? If the same, you might have to return it, and if you have data on it, think about taking it apart to save your data, in 99% cases it's the USB electronics than HDD itself. You can connect it via SATA directly. If you can easily take it apart and put it together again, then it's good, maybe doesn't even void warranty.Otherwise it's your choice, loss of what, 100€ or your data. If important data, you can be happy that it "only" costs you 100€ if the disk is working...I saved 2 external harddisks that way. And bought a cheap tray to insert them. Excellent for backups.
Word Not Allowed, it works. The problem like I said before is just that sometimes it freezes the entire computer. I'll call WD, and see what they say.

Guest jahman

As Word Not Allowed said, it's likely the USB interface electronics that are at fault. If warranty is not a problem and you're up to it, you can always take the HDD out of the external enclosure, hook it up directly to a SATA port on your motherboard and see if you still get the freezes. Likey 99.999% you will not, especially since the WD HDD Diagnostic tested your disk and read the internal SMART Registers and said the drive was good.Cheers,- jahman.