Sign in to follow this  
tfm

Squawk mode "charlie"; and "squawk ident"

On Vatsim using FSInn, I use the FSInn control panel to set "squawk mode charlie". Am I correct in thinking that this is the virtual equivalent of setting the transponder mode to "TA/RA"? (If so, I can probably find a way to assign a single key to do what's necessary in the NGX and FSInn simultaneously.)Also on Vatsim I use FSInn when asked by ATC to "squawk ident". Is there any "real world" equivalent for "squawk ident" and, if so, how is it done in the NGX? (Again, if there is an equivalent function in the NGX, I can probably assign a single key to do what's needed in FSInn at the same time as in the NGX). ThanksTim

On Vatsim using FSInn, I use the FSInn control panel to set "squawk mode charlie". Am I correct in thinking that this is the virtual equivalent of setting the transponder mode to "TA/RA"? (If so, I can probably find a way to assign a single key to do what's necessary in the NGX and FSInn simultaneously.)Also on Vatsim I use FSInn when asked by ATC to "squawk ident". Is there any "real world" equivalent for "squawk ident" and, if so, how is it done in the NGX? (Again, if there is an equivalent function in the NGX, I can probably assign a single key to do what's needed in FSInn at the same time as in the NGX).ThanksTim
Tim you will see on the transponder an ident button, When you push this ident button on VATSIM and Real life your Blip on the ATC Screen will Flash Bright for 2 or three seconds, This enables ATC to identify your Aircraft along with Transponder code/Hdg/Speed/Acft Type, as for FSINN double click C Button and it will cycle blue, this will function the same way, Good luck with the Assignments.Rick

tpewpb-6.png

About sqauwk mode charlie.This is not the same as TA/RA, which comes from the TCAS system coupled with your transponder.So in my C172 i can squawk code charlie which means that my transponder is sending data like airspeed, alt and the transponder code. I believe squawking mode A(lpha) onlysend thetransponder code.When TCAS is installed, this system will communicate with other TCAS systems and transponders to see if other aircraft are not coming too close and canprovide alerts (TA - Traffic Alert) and TCAS II even avoidance guidance (Resolve Advisory - RA) which givesguidance to the pilot to climbor descend.For online flying FSInn squawk charlie will show the ATC controller your full data tag on his screen. One of the reasons VATSIM wants you to turn it off when taxiing because of clutteringthe scope.In real life there is an IDENT button which make your radar blip light up on the ATC scope so he can find you more easily amids all other blips.Normally in RL - often also simulated - a transponder has an IDENT button.Sometimes - depending on the add-on - pushing the IDENT button on the panel does trigger the highlight on the ATC scope. Else use the FSinn interface (which has an IDENT button)

Just remember that when using FSInn you need to click the yellow square at the top right of the FSInn control panel to squawk C and double click to Ident. Changing the mode on the aircraft transponder or clicking ident on the aircraft transponder does not work for some reason.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thank you all very much for your replies.I'm sure I'm being dim but can you help me out here with this follow-up?1. On the NGX transponder panel, I can see an "Ident" button: I don't think I need more help with this.2. But on the NGX transponder panel, there is no separate control for "Mode C". In real life, is "Mode C" engaged by moving the knob to a setting OTHER than "STBY" (ie, including the RA and TA/RA options?) Or is there some other way, in real life, to set "Mode C"?Thanks again.Tim

So in my C172 i can squawk code charlie which means that my transponder is sending data like airspeed, alt and the transponder code. I believe squawking mode A(lpha) onlysend thetransponder code.
Airspeed too? Sure about that? Bert Van Bulck

Airspeed too? Sure about that?
Thats a good question. Because theoreticaly you have the Groundspeed providet by the radar, and airspeed is also useless because of winds.

Thats a good question. Because theoreticaly you have the Groundspeed providet by the radar, and airspeed is also useless because of winds.
I don't see a Mode C transponder sending airspeed, and a mode S (with EHS) in a Cessna....Maybe NASA? :)Bert Van Bulck

Thank you all very much for your replies.I'm sure I'm being dim but can you help me out here with this follow-up?1. On the NGX transponder panel, I can see an "Ident" button: I don't think I need more help with this.2. But on the NGX transponder panel, there is no separate control for "Mode C". In real life, is "Mode C" engaged by moving the knob to a setting OTHER than "STBY" (ie, including the RA and TA/RA options?) Or is there some other way, in real life, to set "Mode C"?Thanks again.Tim
Before my second post (above) gets lost in the chat about Cessnas, is anyone able to answer these questions?TaTim

is "Mode C" engaged by moving the knob to a setting OTHER than "STBY" (ie, including the RA and TA/RA options?) Or is there some other way, in real life, to set "Mode C"?
no! --> setting it to "ALT RPTG OFF" disables the altitude reporting and is strictly speaking a MODE A reporting, not a MODE C.so MODE C is engaged whenever selecting -XPNDR-TA only-TA/RAHave a look at the FCOM2, page 830Bert Van Bulck

no! --> setting it to "ALT RPTG OFF" disables the altitude reporting and is strictly speaking a MODE A reporting, not a MODE C.so MODE C is engaged whenever selecting -XPNDR-TA only-TA/RAHave a look at the FCOM2, page 830Bert Van Bulck
Perfect: thanks.Tim

Mode C is altitude encoding only, it's fairly common for someone to have their transponder set to the right code but not transmitting their altitude. Which is where you hear the "squawk Mode Charlie"

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

About sqauwk mode charlie.This is not the same as TA/RA, which comes from the TCAS system coupled with your transponder.So in my C172 i can squawk code charlie which means that my transponder is sending data like airspeed, alt and the transponder code. I believe squawking mode A(lpha) onlysend the transponder code.
You're mostly correct. Airspeed is not reported, however. Controllers only see groundspeed as determined by the radar's calculations of "you were at Point A the last time I saw you, and now (4.8 seconds later) you are at point B, which is 220 knots." Your speed through the air is irrelevant to a controller, and that's all aircraft could report in terms of speed that we don't already know wink.png

Kyle Rodgers

Just to add in relation to VATSIM, not all aircraft add ons will transmit transponder settings (mode C or ident) via FSINN or SB. Not certain re the NGX but you may still need to change FSINN to mode C or ident. I believe this is due to differences in FSUIPC and simconnect but someone with more technical knowledge may be able to help.Phillip