Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Question about phonetic alphabet

Hi,There's always been one thing I've never really understood about aviation, which is the phonetic alphabet. I know how it works (Alpha = A, Bravo = B etc.), and I know this all out of my head, but I just don't always know what those letters stand for. For example with ATC ATIS, it's saying something like "weather information Papa", what does the P here stand for? Or when coming in for approach the pilot is saying, "Tower, PMDG001, with Oscar, to land." Why the O? What does the O stand for in this case? I can't really find good info in Google that clears this up for me, could anyone please explain? Thanks,

The ATIS is updated at fixed intervals or when there is a significant change in weather or other circumstances. Each new version gets a new alphabetical designation in sequence. When you got your ATIS on approach you note the letter down because by the time you get to talk to the tower the ATIS may have changed. So by saying "with information Oscar" the tower knows you 've got the latest version or advises e.g. "Information Papa now transmitting" to let you know a new version is out. I hope this helps. The letter itself is not an abbreviation, don't let that confuse you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Terminal_Information_Service:
Automatic Terminal Information Service, or ATIS, is a continuous broadcast of recorded noncontrol information in busier terminal (i.e. airport) areas. ATIS broadcasts contain essential information, such as weather information, which runways are active, available approaches, and any other information required by the pilots, such as important NOTAMs. Pilots usually listen to an available ATIS broadcast before contacting the local control unit, in order to reduce the controllers' workload and relieve frequency congestion.The recording is updated in fixed intervals or when there is a significant change in the information, like a change in the active runway. It is given a letter designation (e.g. bravo), from the ICAO spelling alphabet. The letter progresses down the alphabet with every update and starts at Alpha after a break in service of 12 hours or more. When contacting the local control unit, a pilot will indicate he/she has "information" and the ATIS identification letter to let the controller know that the pilot is up to date with all current information.

Ah ok, ik snap het tongue.pngThis clears up a lot for me. I know what ATIS does and stuff, but what are NOTAMs? I heard of them quite a lot but what are they?
"Notice to Airmen"They are brief notices containing important timely information on airport and flight conditions. Such as construction going on near the clearway of a runway, taxiway closures, etc.