Sign in to follow this  
wingclip

TOO MANY LIVERIES!

Hi Folks,I have way too many variations of the same aircrafts that FSX must open each time I want to pick one out. I know that there are a lot of people who like the different liveries but I personally don't care for more than 2 or maybe 3 maximum.If there's nothing different about the plane but the paint job I'd like to get rid of them in such a way as to reinstall them should I desire. So does anyone have a suggestion on how I can remove or at least make my extra planes "invisible" not only to me, but to the FSX program?Keep in mind that the goal is to get FSX to load faster and speed up the time it takes to open the window to choose a plane. My first guess is to surgically 'cut' the extra versions from within the "Airplanes" folder and paste them into a marked folder on an external drive.Is there a better way? A very few planes have a 'mission' attached to them in some way such as Aerosoft's F16. In those cases I'm almost sure I would have to figure out which plane they're using for the mission before I cut them out.Thanks

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

Put "off" at the end of Panel= in the aircraft.cfg for every variation you don't want to see. Panel=OffIf you have a bunch of variations and only want a few, using notepad "Edit/Replace" panel= with panel=off and then remove "off" for the ones you want.No panel, no show, but still useable as AI if called.I don't know if it will reduce loading time...Don

Thank You Don, I'll definitely give that a try and see if my loading time is reduced. But it's hard to say on a guess because technically the variations are still there so they may be still read.I'll let you know what I find out. It'll take a little while because I would probably have to do that to at least 40% of the unwanted plane liveries I have in order to be able to see a difference in the load speed. Thanks again

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

I'll be interested to know the result too.It may be that there's little effect because all the liveries are includde in the .cfg file for the aircraft which will still be read, regardless of how many liveries there are in it

What I have done is remove/delete the textures that I do not want.Care needs to be taken ! ! !STEPS:1. View the FSX loading panel check each texture and make a written note of those to be deleted.2. Go to FSX , then open the Aircraft folder , you see all the texture folders.3. Delete the texture that you want to remove , write a note of that textures name.4. Open the 'Aircraft cfg ' with notepad . go through each and every texture listing , and delete each texture element that has the same texture name that matches the texture folder that you had deleted.5. Carefully go through the cfg list and make absolutely certain that the elements are numbered from 0 , 1, 2 .... in a continuous number sequence until the last elementMAKE a BACKUP copy of your aircraft folder before you begin.Be CAREFUL and keep written notes as you proceed.I recently deleted 7 GB doing the above.Test fly the aircraft to ensure no errors were made.Extreme care need to be applied where a Aircraft type has multiple complete aircraft folders, each containinga panel folder , often the panel will be aliased to a master panel containing the instruments .If you accidently remove that master aircraft folder then the remaining aircraft will not work ,a further trap is that there can be more than one master aircraft folder.In these cases each and every panel folder MUST be opened and examined.If you are dealing with a complex aircraft , then my advice is leave it aloneAll of the above assumes that you are comfortable working with aircraft folders and are thorough and methodical.The operative word is take care ( and backup beforehand or pay the price for any minor errors) .CheersKarol

I cannot say that this will work in FSX because I do not know the makeup of the acft.cfg file in the aircraft/airplane folders, but here's what I do in FS9 if I want to remove a plane, but not lose the ability to have it again.Within the aircraft configuration file (acft.cfg) are all the liveries entered as [fltsim.0], [fltsim.1], etc, etc. I simply place "//" in front of the entries I no longer want to see, but if I ever do want them again I simply remove the "//". So:

//[fltsim.8]//title=CS Legendary C130 8//sim=C130//model=2g//panel=g//sound=
Randy

As I posted earlier it's a lot easier to just make panel=Off. Three letters, easy to reverse, and still allows the plane to be used as AI...Don