Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emcott

Stalls

Guest Emcott

This aircraft like so many others from Carenado has a despicable FDE. Thanks to Brent for his fixes, they're pretty damn good, but this aircraft can't stall. The level stall, power on or off is a total joke. It just floats on down as you maintain yoke pressure fully back. This is my last from them, can't even imagine buying a KingAir from these guys. thanks again Brent, for your work.

Guest bstolle

The 210 is not my work and I haven't made any fixes for the Centurion.The C337 nicely snaps and spins and the A36 doesn't stall with full flaps and 2 pilots on board, exactly as the real one (but she can be forced into a spin).

Guest Emcott

Your right, it was my bad, that was PropDrvr's mod. But you do some great work yourself.

Guest BeaverDriver

I'm sorry, but do you mean to tell us that because a 210, a high flying, meant for cruising, medium to long distance prop machine, doesn't STALL correctly (according to your criteria), you're going to write Carenado off? Just out of curiosity, how much of your time in the air in something like a 210 do you spend doing stalls and spins?? If it's a lot, then maybe you should be redefining the type of airplane you want to fly. Seems to me a Decathalon or Citabria would be more your style. Now, have you ever flown a 210 for real, never mind stalled one? You might find it interesting to know that when I was doing my Commercial license, my instructor (who also taught aerobatics) had me try and spin a 172 for about the 5th time. The previous 4 times were unsuccessful because this airplane was so well behaved that we just couldn't get it into a spin no matter what we did. This 5th time we got really aggressive. I did exactly as he told me, and I did see the earth go around for one revolution before we found ourselves somewhat nose-high (but only slightly), mushing gently towards the ground with just the occasional wing drop. Sounds a lot like what you said your 210 was doing, doesn't it? Yes, we were stalled, but because of how we entered it (we actually accidentally ended up doing a snap roll and rolled out of it in an upright, stalled condition) we were in exactly the position you described above.My point is, if you want an airplane that stall perfectly, maybe look for an aerobatics aircraft. If you want one that is meant for cruising, then you have a pretty damn good airplane in the 210. The FDE's in it are actually very good right out of the box. And unless you've personally stalled a 210 MANY times IRL, how do you know what it's "supposed" to stall like under most conditions? In 17 years of RW bush flying, I think I stalled any one aircraft once or maybe twice in a year for the checkout. Otherwise, stalls were to be avoided at all cost because the airplanes I flew were meant to get people from point a to point b. They weren't meant for aerobatics. If you were planning on not buying the King Air because it won't stall according to how you think it should (and how many times has ANYONE done a full stall in a King Air - most King Air drivers I know are only required to do approaches to stalls), then probably your decision to stay away from a King Air is a good one - but not because Carenado can't do FDE's. Far from it.Please, a little common sense, if you don't mind.

Guest Emcott

The point is, it should in my opinion, have the ability to stall. It does not. There is a certain amount of immersion factor knowing that, under the correct conditions this can occur. Other developers have seemed to manage it quite well. even within the constraints of FSX. I'm certainly not the only person that has been upset with Carenado's FDE's. They have quite a history in this department. So don't go throwing around the common sense remarks. I'm by far not in the minority with this opinion. I've read countless threads by other real world pilots, such as myself and yes, to your disappointment I'm sure, I do have hours in both the 210s as well as several Kings. I graduated up from172s twenty five years ago, not that there's anything displeasing about that aircraft. I just don't wish to offend 172 drivers, you, I could care less about.

Guest BeaverDriver

Well, your loss.

I could care less about.
Since you choose to make it personal, the feeling is very mutual, I'm sure :)

Emcott: I have my private ticket and have spent most of my time in Tomahawks, RC Airplanes & Helicopters and the sim since 2000. I was wondering how close the rest of the flight model of the 210 is. I used to love to spin the Tomahawk. Almost killed myself once. Can't afford to keep up on the full scale anymore so here I am.Thanks,

This aircraft like so many others from Carenado has a despicable FDE. Thanks to Brent for his fixes, they're pretty damn good, but this aircraft can't stall. The level stall, power on or off is a total joke. It just floats on down as you maintain yoke pressure fully back. This is my last from them, can't even imagine buying a KingAir from these guys. thanks again Brent, for your work.
My question is this: why would you WANT to stall? It's not something I ever try to do when flying, nor should it be! If you have a different attitude with regard to stalling, then perhaps you should find another hobby.