Sign in to follow this  
Alaaar

Engine Throttle & Temperature puzzle?

Hello all, I apologies if this issue was brought up before or if it is clear at the manuals, before I started this thread I did a forum research and as well QRH couldn’t find any related information: I was commencing the engine start procedures as always from a cold & dark situation, APU = OnAPU Generator = OnAPU Bleed Air = OnBoth Packs = OffIsolation valve = AutoFuel Pumps = On I started to run Engine 1 using the ENGINE START switch to GRN position till N2=25% then turn fuel pump up and Engine 1 running perfectly, no problems. I did the same for Engine 2 and its working fine or so I thought. Then, Engine Generators = OnAPU Generators = OffAPU bleed air = OffEngine Bleed air = OnPacks = Auto Now when I started to taxi, Engine 2 throttle did not respond / move (on the EPD) and the plane needed close to 70% N1 to start moving, the other thing is I noticed that, while the TAT =17C, Engine 1 Oil Temperature = 104 which is normal but Engine 2 Oil Temperature stayed at 17C, the "bleed air duct pressure indicator" did not look right as one of the indicators pointed to 0, there was no error warning, what possibly I did wrong here. Best regards

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Engine 2 didn't start...isolation valve should be closed for the start. So that you have enough bleed air to start it. You should also have both engine bleeds on for start.

Engine 2 didn't start...isolation valve should be closed for the start. So that you have enough bleed air to start it. You should also have both engine bleeds on for start.
If you close the isolation valve, how'd you expect air to get from the APU to Eng 2? It should be open.

Thanks James & Jordan, the puzzle is it is that engine 2 already started but it wouldn’t respond to thrust, I think because the oil temperature was too low, the question is was this a known failure or was it an error or something wrong I did?

Alaa A. Riad

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Then engine should have started in your configuration. The Isolation Valve will be in the open position given your conditions during the start if the ISO VALVE switch is in auto.What are your engine indications after you've started both engines? Are they the same?(I think most operators leave the ENG BLEED switches on during all conditions except for bleed-off takeoff or QRH procedure.)

Matt Cee

Thanks Matt, any clue regarding oil temperature dropping for engine 2?

Alaa A. Riad

Alaa,Make sure that your engine did indeed start (basically check idle EGT should be around 400). The rule is 2-4-6 i.e. 20-ish N1, 400-ish EGT 60-ish N2.Try pressing E then 12 in order to make sure that both throttle levers operate. (I think this will solve your problem).V.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

If you close the isolation valve, how'd you expect air to get from the APU to Eng 2? It should be open.
Oops sorry yes that what I meant...should be down for open...

Thanks emvaos

Alaa A. Riad

I have had this happen to me several times, not sure if it applies in your case but it sure seems like the same problem I had. I think it has something to do with FSUIPC and a conflict somewhere, especially if you have your throttle AXIS assigned in there. If you do have any axis like throttle assigned in FSUIPC make sure they are not also assigned in FSX cause they could conflict. Open FSUIPC and test a few axis to refresh it

Well Paul the FSUIPC theory could be right, because last night I read a thread about it and how to apply axis assignment through it instead of FSX, I did gave it a try and didn't save it, or I might did this could be it, I will give it another try today, however, I don't know about oil low temp. it's really a mystery to me.Thanks a lot

Alaa A. Riad

Update: Not sure if I am going to uninstall FSUIPC and install again so everything is new. But I think I made the mistake of setting up my AXIS with the Aircraft Specific Box. Probably should not have used that so that all aircraft use the same AXIS. Example is instead of loading up the NGX today I wanted to check out some new airport scenery so I loaded the default bell helicopter. Course my axis would not work. I had to go into FSUIPC and uncheck the aircraft specific in Axis setup, and then assign it the default that I had setup for the ngx and after that it worked again. Its a little flaky but always a good idea to check your axis controllers are functioning before you get ready to push back.You can tell if your AXIS are not functioning right by going into FSUIPC and under Calibration Tab move your controllers back and forth. If the numbers do not change you gotta go back to AXIS Tab and play around with it to get one of the AXIS working. Once you go back to Calibration and its working again the other ones usually are too. Can be a pain in the butt at times but its worth the 30 seconds or so it takes to fix it before each flight. The reason being using FSUIPC Axis assignment is so much smoother than FSX. It makes hand flying your planes so much more enjoyable you will find yourself using the autopilot a lot less.And for the Ultimate in Smoothness put the following line in FSX.cfg under [CONTROLS]stick_sensitivity_mode=0