Sign in to follow this  
Nixon

New monitor for NGX

Hi everyoneAm thinking of getting a bigger monitor for my computer. I have thought of a 27" monitor or for a similar price I can get a 32" HD TV with HDMI connections. Could I use that as a monitor and would the quality be as good as a bespoke monitor?Any advice will be gratefully received.

I have the 27" Dell ultra sharp.....very pleased with it. Worth the money.Dave

Hi everyoneAm thinking of getting a bigger monitor for my computer. I have thought of a 27" monitor or for a similar price I can get a 32" HD TV with HDMI connections. Could I use that as a monitor and would the quality be as good as a bespoke monitor?Any advice will be gratefully received.
Don't get an LCD TV. You get the extra screen real estate at the expense of resolution. I finally got my hands on a 30" HP ZR30W (at 2560x1600). You actually have to turn your head to look from side to side. I can't imagine going back to low resolution tiny monitors.

I currently have a 24" NED monitor (bought 3 years ago) on which I run FSX in non windowed mode. I also have 19" Samsung monitor where I put the ATC window and FSX log. I also use that monitor for various 2D panels that form part of Simcheck's A300 and FS labs Concorde engineer's panel. So am wondering if an upgrade to a 27" monitor will make much difference especially as the resolution will not change?Trevor thanks for your reply and I have decided not to buy a 32" HD TV.

I have a 24inch ASUS HD Monitor the color and sharpness is outstanding.

It doesn't really matter what display one is using, resolution is what matters.And resolution is what bring your fps down.I have lowest class of NEC professional 24" displays because I need it for my work -photography post-processing. I need display I can calibrate, and that has IPS orsimilar panel technology.So happens I also use it for flying and of course I run it at native 1920x1200 resolution.I struggle for fps even though I have what may seem a decent rig for FSX (not the best no, but decent).

Stay away from LCD TV's, I just bought a HANNS-G 28" 1920x1200 at Newegg for $250, a very sweet large screen! :)This is my secong HANNS-G, got one at work and love not only the size but also how bright it is and the colors are outstanding...

I bought a 27" Samsung monitor recently, I wanted something that would work at 120Hz, although with the new Samsung 3D technology it is not compatible (without work arounds that are available) with the NV GPU's (only for 3D Vision, other than that it works fine with NV). With v-Sync it's very smooth other than the occasional stutter.Mine is a 1080 resoltion widescreen. That's higher than what I had before with a 5-6 year old 21" LCD, however the ppi is less since I increase screen size more than the resolution increased. However, all that aside, I love it- it provided a much more realistic experience for me- and the NG looks amazing, especially at night.Thanks, Bruce.

I bought a 27" Samsung monitor recently, I wanted something that would work at 120Hz, although with the new Samsung 3D technology it is not compatible (without work arounds that are available) with the NV GPU's (only for 3D Vision, other than that it works fine with NV). With v-Sync it's very smooth other than the occasional stutter.Mine is a 1080 resoltion widescreen. That's higher than what I had before with a 5-6 year old 21" LCD, however the ppi is less since I increase screen size more than the resolution increased. However, all that aside, I love it- it provided a much more realistic experience for me- and the NG looks amazing, especially at night.Thanks, Bruce.
I have the 27" Samsung SA950 as well--I'm more than pleased with its smoothness at its default 1920 x 1080 resolution. This monitor is available at NewEgg or Amazon for $700.Maury Pratt

Maury Pratt

I say get the HP 2011 series (specifically the 2011x)... Probably the best monitor I have used in my life. Comes with DVI D and VGA cables, 3,000,000:1 Contrast dynamic ratio, 5 MS response, WLED (no more crappy CRTs yay!) and 20". Yep, fantastic monitor for the price.

I use my 52" 1080x1920 HDTV for my simming. The detail is awesome in my opinion. I sit 5ft away in my "pit on wheels" I just wheel my control column I made that contains my yoke, pedals, switch/button/dial panels and throttle quadrant in front of my tv. I have a nice comfy leather chair I use when I fly. My rig has a small cabinet I built into it that houses all my maps,charts, plates and plotting tools. Oh, and a beer holder!