Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

HS748 - A perfect twin-turboprop for FSX

I am sure many of you are familiar with Rick Piper's wonderful freeware Hawker Siddeley HS748. Am only mentioning this again here as it's the reason I've come back to FSX after nearly crossing to the dark side with x-plane!If you fancy a good-looking, authentically modelled, accurate hand-flying turboprop it's worth checking out if you haven't downloaded it before.The 748 was originally designed for FS2004 so the main panel and VC aren't exactly "cutting-edge" but all you need to twiddle in the cockpit is there, most is clickable and the framerates are excellent on my system. A great feature is the auto "V-Speed" generation clickspot, authentic "fuel-trim" adjustment (a unique feature on the 748) and "water methanol" controls.The realistic and distinctive sounding Rolls Royce Dart engine sounds really complete this super freeware package.And the good thing is the 748 is an easy aircraft to fly but not so easy to fly well so you shouldn't get bored too easily.No glass cockpits, FBW, autoland or cruising at FL370. This is a real mans aeroplane;)FSX exe version available here: http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/Adam

Good post Adam - agree completely. Also his 748 comes with many many excellent repaints. Rick's other planes such as the Chipmunk are also excellent. Amazing how FS2004 aircraft can do so well in FSX. Howard

Guest bstolle

Almost finished with a completely new FDE for the Chippie, thanx to a great and very knowledgeable ex-Chipmunk pilot who's of tremendous help during testing to get her to fly exactly like the real one. Slips, snaps, spins, etc...

Rick is, without doubt, one of the (not unsung, as most know of him) hero's of flight simulation. It's folk like him that are the backbone of the freeware market.Thanks Rick...and thanks Adam for for reminding me of this bird. Must reinstall it.

Rick is, without doubt, one of the (not unsung, as most know of him) hero's of flight simulation. It's folk like him that are the backbone of the freeware market.Thanks Rick...and thanks Adam for for reminding me of this bird. Must reinstall it.
Hey Dougal,Glad to have reminded you Dougal and agree totally re Rick. I wanted to share my enthusiasm for his 748 - a wonderfully immersive freeware simulation of a great British workhorse. And yes Carabou his Chipmunk looks great and flies nicely too.

I am sure many of you are familiar with Rick Piper's wonderful freeware Hawker Siddeley HS748. Am only mentioning this again here as it's the reason I've come back to FSX after nearly crossing to the dark side with x-plane!If you fancy a good-looking, authentically modelled, accurate hand-flying turboprop it's worth checking out if you haven't downloaded it before.The 748 was originally designed for FS2004 so the main panel and VC aren't exactly "cutting-edge" but all you need to twiddle in the cockpit is there, most is clickable and the framerates are excellent on my system. A great feature is the auto "V-Speed" generation clickspot, authentic "fuel-trim" adjustment (a unique feature on the 748) and "water methanol" controls.The realistic and distinctive sounding Rolls Royce Dart engine sounds really complete this super freeware package.And the good thing is the 748 is an easy aircraft to fly but not so easy to fly well so you shouldn't get bored too easily.No glass cockpits, FBW, autoland or cruising at FL370. This is a real mans aeroplane;)FSX exe version available here: http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/Adam
I had the priviledge of being checked out on this wonderful machine for a couple of years in the late 1990's and put 500+ hours on it. We operated it into 11,000' of pavement to 2900' of gravel to private, less than great strips at northern fishing lodges. Rick's 748 ( the "Hawker" as we call it) is pretty darn good.Dave

Anyone know how to get rid of the transparency issues in the VC? It is common with portovers from FS9 in Acceleration? It also looks like there is a missing gauge in pic one. Perhaps a default FS9 gauge that is not in FSX?748_2.jpg748_1.jpg748_3.jpg

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Anyone know how to get rid of the transparency issues in the VC? It is common with portovers from FS9 in Acceleration? It also looks like there is a missing gauge in pic one. Perhaps a default FS9 gauge that is not in FSX?
Perhaps this helps: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?12380-HS-748-now-FSX-Compatible..../page2I haven´t installed that great aircraft because it seems yo be impossible to d/l FSX package. I have tried that again and again and all I get is a zip file that is corrupted. :(

Perhaps this helps: http://www.sim-outho...tible..../page2I haven´t installed that great aircraft because it seems yo be impossible to d/l FSX package. I have tried that again and again and all I get is a zip file that is corrupted. sad.png
That's odd about the zip. Maybe you should try again. It downloaded fine for me today.Thanks. Does anyone have access to the modified panel .bmp's? My membership at Simouthouse is still pending so I can't PM the user that created the fix 2 years ago? I didn't see the files listed on Rick's website either. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like his forums have a search function so I can't tell if there has been any discussion about this issue over there.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Never mind, I was able to get it from the original author. Great work!

That's odd about the zip. Maybe you should try again. It downloaded fine for me today.Thanks. Does anyone have access to the modified panel .bmp's? My membership at Simouthouse is still pending so I can't PM the user that created the fix 2 years ago? I didn't see the files listed on Rick's website either. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like his forums have a search function so I can't tell if there has been any discussion about this issue over there.
Yeah, I would also be very interested in that fix. Flew her for the first time in FSX yesterday and these issues were very disgusting.

PM sent. SOH site seems to be down at the moment.

Wide-5.jpg

I had the priviledge of being checked out on this wonderful machine for a couple of years in the late 1990's and put 500+ hours on it. We operated it into 11,000' of pavement to 2900' of gravel to private, less than great strips at northern fishing lodges. Rick's 748 ( the "Hawker" as we call it) is pretty darn good.Dave
That's good to hear Dave! You lucky man. I think it handles beautifully in FSX but not having been checked out on one in real life I was wondering how authentic it was compared to the real aircraft.For anyone wanting to see the HS748 in service, World Air Routes have a DVD featuring the 748's of West Air Europe.Great video with mainly cockpit views. Watch and see how authentic Rick's 748 sounds and acts. The only thing missed is the "minimums" callout!http://www.worldairr...om/WestAir.htmlAdam