Sign in to follow this  
GraemeBr

Transition altitude problem

As I mainly fly the NGX in the UK I generally set the transition altitude to 6000 rather than the default (US standard) 18000. I noticed on my last few flights that this worked properly during the climb but on descent the FMC seemed to forget the 6000 setting and prompt me to reset the QNH when passing through 18000. I am sure this used to work properly i.e. before the last hotfix. Has anyone else noticed this issue.Also does anyone know if it is possible to edit some config file entry or whatever to set 6000 as the default transition altitude?Thanks

You can change the default Transition Altitude from 18,000 to 6000 in the CDU Equipment options.That will solve your problem.

Not all in the UK are 6000, Manchester is 5000 i got caught out so i brought a load of charts and there are a few which are 5000..

Not all in the UK are 6000, Manchester is 5000 i got caught out so i brought a load of charts and there are a few which are 5000..
That is true !Ireland is 5000.

As I mainly fly the NGX in the UK I generally set the transition altitude to 6000 rather than the default (US standard) 18000. I noticed on my last few flights that this worked properly during the climb but on descent the FMC seemed to forget the 6000 setting and prompt me to reset the QNH when passing through 18000. I am sure this used to work properly i.e. before the last hotfix. Has anyone else noticed this issue.Also does anyone know if it is possible to edit some config file entry or whatever to set 6000 as the default transition altitude?Thanks
You have to set the arrival transition altitude in the DESCENT FORECAST page. After all it may well be different to the departure altitude.According to FCOM Vol 2 Page 11.40.32 the correct departure transition altitude should be automatically selected according to the chosen departure procedure (with manual override). It would be really great if it worked as aircraft in the NGX.Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg