Sign in to follow this  
RogerD

Speed Tape jumping up and down

Anyone know why when I am flying at random times my speed tape starts jumping up and down and needles start jumping in time with it .It makes speed unable to control and keeps increasing.Wind indicator blinks along with it.

Roger  Deloge :Cuppa:

You answered your own question in a round abut way. As the speed tape is Indicated Air Speed, it shows relative velocity. As wind affects relative velocity, your IAS therefore changes and in turn so does the speed tape. Wind shear is an abrupt change in the velocity of the wind and can cause sudden changes in IAS.You should therefore try to plan to remain under Vb if there is turbulent weather enroute, or if Vb is not established in the Pilot Operating Handbook, then Va or Vno to the best of my knowledge. One of the anomolies of FS flying is the upper winds tend to produce major wind shear when they update if you use real world weather in my experience. Some addons smooth this out, but I do not know of any that are perfectly realistic.

Tutmeister- Could you name some of these addons? I have this problem also sometimes with real world and I'm trying to find something to fix the abrupt wind/speed changes.Chris Bugyi

I also experienced this problem with the Queen and the ngx too. Make sure to disable turbulence in fsx settings and use the wind smoothing feature of the registered version of fsuipc. I would not say this resolved this issue but definitely got better. I can send my fsuipc settings tomorrow if you wish.

As xamil mentions, a registered copy of FSUIPC is the best solution I know of, as it allows you to smooth winds. I also believe HiFi Simulations ActiveSky Evolution smooths upper winds out, but am not certain. There is also a freeware, but I can't remember the name and the upper wind direction is said to be contested (ie. not true to real life when flying with real world weather).