Sign in to follow this  
Wendall

I found the COOLEST little PNW airport to land in...

The airport is 3S7, Nahalem Bay State airport, and I love itsmile.pngNothing special, but in my experience, the 33 approach is kind of (some airport with a close-to-airport turn, near water and many tall obstacleswink.png )I started by approaching RWY 15, but I had to much altitude, so I decided to go for 33...Losing Altitude rather quickly, and still at 150 degrees, I realized I had to clear some mountains about 850-1500 ft. tall.I got scared at about 880 feet and 55 KIAS,(did I mention I'm in the Carenado Centaurion?), so I pulled the 180 and leveled off at 400-500 ft.follwing my awesome approach, I COMPLETELY botched the landing, and parked with shame...Not really educational, and maybe I only find it fun, but I encourage ORBX PNW flyers to try it. ( to get there, take off out of KAST then turn to 180 degrees, once you see mountains go to 150 degrees, figure out the rest once you can see the airport.)Again, I encourage you to try it!

A video of a landing there narrated by Mr. Rogers.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The PNW sceneries provide so many scenic and challenging places to see/land at, a sim pilot could make it his lifes work to fly in and out of every one and never be bored. I've been flying up there for over two months now and see no end in sight. I've installed the complete PNW/Rocky Mountain series.

My wife and I were out visiting family in the high desert area of OR this past summer, and after we left we drove down the Columbia Gorge through Portland, and out to the coast where we stayed at Seaside- which is the next airport to the north of 3S7, about 20 miles (we weren't flying so I never even went to the airport, too busy walking on the beach!). We did drive south on US101 through the area where 3S7 is located- the PNW scenery certainly does this justice in FSX. This area of the country is really wonderful- the more I travel to the PNW the more I want to go back. Makes my home state (CO) seem like a desert!I tried the airport last night in FSX and love the approach over the high ridge to the north, a great place to practice short field landings over a large obstacle.....Thanks to the OP for the great suggestion to go try it.Bruce.

As a 152/172 only pilot, I have to say the speed of the Mooney makes me a little nervy!Great location though....

I did this flight last night, thanks for the suggestion. I set the sim time to 3PM local for yesterday afternoon and let ASEvo do it's thing. Nice cloud depiction, winds were fairly calm. I flew my current favorite, the Carenado Skymaster and used rwy 31, took me two tries, I was way too high on the first approach. Nailed it the second time though, turned around like the Mooney guy in the video did and took off on rwy15. From there I flew over to Tilamook (S47). I closed the sim to put in some different sky textures in anticipation of a couple more flights in the area, but unfortunately never made it back into the sim, maybe I can continue this evening.Another neat flight I did recently in the PNW is 1WA6 Fall City to S93 Cle Elum. The flight basically follows I-90 up and over Snoqualmie pass. I did it in the Accusim Cub and had a great time. 3500' MSL is plenty of altitude to clear the pass, at that altitude you'll need to maneuver a bit to get through the pass, fly higher if you want a straight line. It's really neat when you crest the summit and see the big lake out in front of you. There's a grass strip (Easton?) you can T&G on before continuing to Cle Elum. Cle Elum itself is just another nice little Orbx default airport currently, and it's not part of PNW, it's actually in the very NW corner of CRM.Jim

I gotta try that one.An approach that I really enjoyed recently was the approach on Rwy 10R at Boise, Idaho with the 737NGX in orbx' Central Rocky Mountain scenery. You come in right over town and the industrial district with that cool bridge right in front of the runway and the mountains in the background. It really looked amazing in the light of the setting sun.

Flew it. Loved it. Saved my plane at both airports for future flights. Cool liittle challenging airport that's populated with other GA planes. Thanks for the heads up on this. There's so much to explore in PNW that I may have never found it. This is a GREAT IDEA for the future. That is, letting other simmers know about discoveries in this absolutely wonderful scenery area.Thanks again.Stan

I've been flying into/out of Forest Service strips--remote in the extreme and pretty much all with difficult and dangerous approaches. I look at the FTX coverage in Google Earth to plan a flight. You can certainly get a lot of good ideas that way. The texture sets and runways at those remote strips are amazing. Think runways that rival Lukla for being on a decided hill. Bumps and grinds abound. Orbx flying is nuts.

If you want to try probably the toughest airport in the PNW, search 'Dewey Moore'. An 800' uphill dirt strip located at the bottom of the gorge. Great fun.

In post #10 above I closed the sim at Tillamook (S47) so I thought I'd update what happened from there :smile:I took off from Tillamook in the Rockwell Commander and flew back north up the shoreline, did a T&G at Nahalem Bay again, continued north and did another T&G at KAST (where we started out to begin with). From there I flew inland up the Columbia, did a full stop at Kelso/Longview (KKLS) where I switched to the C210T. Another quick hop over toTroutdale (KTTD) where I finally parked it for the night. This worked out to about 140 nm all together, great flight, sim date/time 10/27/11 at around 3:00PM local with ASEvo "locked to sim time". Sort of a boring Wx depiction, clear skies all the way and light winds, the previous day at the same time yielded a better Wx depiction.Anybody been to KSHN? I think I'm going there next in the Skymaster, with maybe a stop at Chehalis-Centralia (KCLS) along the way.Jim

If you want to try probably the toughest airport in the PNW, search 'Dewey Moore'. An 800' uphill dirt strip located at the bottom of the gorge. Great fun.
Launched out of SMN to check out Dewey Moore. Finally found it. Is that a campfire there in the scenery, or the burning wreckage of the last pilot who attempted to land there in the sim?

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Hi,Is Dewey Moore actually in PNW, or is it in CRM? kinda confusingSilly.gif

I did this flight last night, thanks for the suggestion. I set the sim time to 3PM local for yesterday afternoon and let ASEvo do it's thing. Nice cloud depiction, winds were fairly calm. I flew my current favorite, the Carenado Skymaster and used rwy 31, took me two tries, I was way too high on the first approach. Nailed it the second time though, turned around like the Mooney guy in the video did and took off on rwy15. From there I flew over to Tilamook (S47). I closed the sim to put in some different sky textures in anticipation of a couple more flights in the area, but unfortunately never made it back into the sim, maybe I can continue this evening. Another neat flight I did recently in the PNW is 1WA6 Fall City to S93 Cle Elum. The flight basically follows I-90 up and over Snoqualmie pass. I did it in the Accusim Cub and had a great time. 3500' MSL is plenty of altitude to clear the pass, at that altitude you'll need to maneuver a bit to get through the pass, fly higher if you want a straight line. It's really neat when you crest the summit and see the big lake out in front of you. There's a grass strip (Easton?) you can T&G on before continuing to Cle Elum. Cle Elum itself is just another nice little Orbx default airport currently, and it's not part of PNW, it's actually in the very NW corner of CRM. Jim
I've just completed Fall city to Cle Elum, breathtaking all the way, however i didn't realise Elum wasn't part of PNW. I have PNW and NRM installed, but as yet to get CRM. Perhaps it was just the GEX textures i was seeing, still looked petty cool.