Sign in to follow this  
VirginAus737

Huge Spike in HDD Prices

Well I have only been following here in Australia but there seems to be massive spikes in HDD prices. I am talking a Caviar Blue 1TB going from $60 to $110. Its CRAZY. Any ideas?

Ahh, just found it was due to flooding in the factories in Thailand, mainly WD. But I think some others have been effected.

Well here at our main PC store (PCCG) they are already out of numerous HDD models from WD. Although this is in no way the worst thing that is happening. We must send our thoughts to the victims and people effected by these floods. I hope everything can get better for WD and all the victims from the floods in Thailand.

Apparently they are experiencing the worst flooding in 50 years and it is effecting all kinds of production as it's causing a ripple effect on manufacturing in the region. On a side note, the 2 TB WD Caviar Black that I bought in August for $135 CDN is now $240 CDN and stocks are dwindling fast. I was told that things should get back to normal in about 2 weeks after the wholesalers start to release product but the prices may stay where they are, ah the magic of supply and demand.... Joe wholesaler's kids are going to have a great X-MAS.

\Robert Hamlich/