Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Does my phenom II give its best ?

I have upgraded an AMD X2 6000 to a AMD Phenom II X4 965BE 3.4 GHz. I experience significant improvement in FSX performence. Still one thing makes me wonder if my CPU is utilised to its best. I have a hardware monitoring program called Dual core which among many factors monitors the CPU clock. During idle it displays 800 MHz and during gaming I see it goes up to 2200 MHz. But my CPU is a 3.4 GHz CPU.Does it detect the lower load when exiting FSX (or other game) so it downclocks to fast for me to see the max used CPU clock? Or could my CPU be underutilised?

You have some setting in your BIOS that are controlling the CPU speed. Disable those and your CPU will run at full speed all the time.

Disable Cool N quiet

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Disable Cool N quiet
Cool N quite was set to auto in BIOS. I changed that to disabled. Then the CPU clock was reported to always be 1800 MHz both idle and a stressed FSX.

What does your Windows report for the CPU speed? That is on the system properties screen.

What does your Windows report for the CPU speed? That is on the system properties screen.
From control panel and system I have a item for view amount of ram and cpu speed. That says that my CPU is a phenom at 3.4 GHz (as do the BIOS). My impression as that this info refers to the CPU itself and its specifications. I also have a 5.9 Windows expertience index (where the harddrive is the lowest) the CPU has a index of 7.4.

Your CPU is now running at full speed.
Because of the 7.4 index? Well I enabled cool and quite again since this index was measured with it enabled. Dual core have the option of several presets with cool being default and what has being used. I tried another setting called game which raised the FSB somewhat but that immdiately lead to instability.

No, that Windows says your CPU is a Phenom at 3.4 GHz.

Another system utility like your "Duel Core". If Windows is reporting the correct speed then you are all set. At this point you are worrying about nothing.

Another system utility like your "Duel Core". If Windows is reporting the correct speed then you are all set. At this point you are worrying about nothing.
Are you sure? For that CPUZ application reports the same as dual core and that the multiplier is changed when the clock speed change.