Sign in to follow this  
Chock

A quick look at JF's new FSX Vickers Viscount

Thanks for that about the DME.I don't have the JF Viscount anymore (I returned it) but as I remember there were quite a few inaccuracies, such as interior at night looks like all the warning lights are on, and if I remember rightly there were modern radios on the roof? If so why not just add the DME anyway?I also remember that the engine start-up was not modelled well. The props just start spinning suddenly, like the captain sim Hercules series, and unlike aerosoft's "Otter" where some clever programming disguises the FSX limitation. I think my disappointment with this aircraft, and also the Comet, was that there was no custom programming under the hood. It's basic FSX functionality - but I got the impression from the description that there was more to than that. I am quite a demanding simulation enthusiast, so I'm sticking with A2A aircraft for older ones. The B-377 with Accusim is a really nicely modelled flight deck. I'd say it's about mega_shok.gif per cent functional, compared to the real one. May be I'm spoiled. And in the B-377 I navigate the old way, using dual ADFs ;-). They have a poor range so it's not quite enough, so some dead reckoning comes in there too, along with some with some star fixes using the add-on sextant gauge.I did some research on turbo-props of the era, and some engines were fitted with pitch control levers of sorts, such as the P&W PT-6A. I have a Flight Manual for a Dash 7, which I believe had a PT-6 variant. While there is no mention of any propellor pitch levers on the flight deck, levers that are discussed in various checklists are engine condition levers and power levers. The manual mentions the following settings for the engine condition levers : FUEL SHUT OFF; NORMAL FLOW; MAXIMUM RPM. For the Power levers: MAX REVERSE; DISC; FLIGHT IDLE; TAKE OFF.The last entry for the "After Take Off" checklist states that climb torque should be set, presumable with the power levers and charts. Condition levers were set in an earlier checklist to max RPM. Yet underneath the "After Take Off" is a note. It says: "When decreasing power, reduce engine torque before reducing propellor RPM". I guess that means that the power lever is doing torque, and then the condition lever is doing RPM? It seems that the power levers control both propellor pitch and fuel flow and hence power; but the condition lever is also able to control fuel flow.However, the Viscount had Rolls-Royce Dart engines I believe, and I have little information on those, though I suspect the engine controls will be similar to the Dash-7.Anyway, both the Viscount and the Comet by Just Flight are quite nice looking, and to be honest, for money, are ok.Anyway, the Viscount looks quite good, and so does the comet. I kept the Comet, but returned the Viscoutn due to my being so disappointed.Regards/Jason.

Edited by JasonD210

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, I should have remembered this right off (duhh) as I work on Dash 8 equipment (RW). Yeah, in fact multi-engined turboprops DO have prop levers. This certainly includes the Dash 8, Dash 7, Fokkers, and so on. They do function like combination Condition levers and prop levers in some machines, but once started they do control the RPM's of the props via pitch changes. So if that's what FJ is calling them, I'd be willing to bet they are exactly right :).

Guest BeaverDriver
The last entry for the "After Take Off" checklist states that climb torque should be set, presumable with the power levers and charts. Condition levers were set in an earlier checklist to max RPM. Yet underneath the "After Take Off" is a note. It says: "When decreasing power, reduce engine torque before reducing propellor RPM". I guess that means that the power lever is doing torque, and then the condition lever is doing RPM?
We are crossing posts <LOL>. Yes, you are quite correct about what you said above. The same lever will also feather the prop in the Dash 8 (and I believe in the 7 as well). Different manufacturers do things differently of course so it's not a set-in-stone rule.I agree completely regarding the radios. If they are modern, yes, they should have a DME in there. If it's flying today, I would suggest in most places it's on the MEL and not an option.Your other points though are well taken. It does give me something to think about. Thanks for this input - it's always good to have 2 sides. Appreciate it :).

OK, I should have remembered this right off (duhh) as I work on Dash 8 equipment (RW). Yeah, in fact multi-engined turboprops DO have prop levers. This certainly includes the Dash 8, Dash 7, Fokkers, and so on. They do function like combination Condition levers and prop levers in some machines, but once started they do control the RPM's of the props via pitch changes. So if that's what FJ is calling them, I'd be willing to bet they are exactly right :).
I'd need a Dart or Viscount manual to know, but I'm willing to bet that they are not simple pitch levers as shown in the Viscount, but more like in the Dash 7 ;-)