Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

VATSIM event with the NGX

My new Audio FX Pro Headset came by FedEx today. It was the very last thing I needed to try flying online. I have registered at VATSIM, and done a lot of reading. I am very confident flying the NGX. I can manipulate the FMC in the air to any forseeable ATC direction. The only thing I am a bit worried about is the unknown. I don't have a clue what to expect from ATC from the gate to departure. After that, I would be okay. Even arrivals don't worry me much. I am also a little confused about how to hook up your computer to VATSIM. Some of the tutorials and videos are conflicted.They have a big event scheduled for tomorrow. I know a lot of people on this forum fly VATSIM, and I was wondering if you think a complete noob like me could participate, and what I should expect. Step by step. Thanks in advance.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Before I go into details. Are you setup on VATSIM already with an ID and have either Squawkbox or FSINN installed?

Well, no. I am registered and have an ID number but am not setup with either Squawkbox of FSINN. Which is better? I've read conflicting reports, but trust your opinion, Paul. I'll do that as soon as I get your recommendation.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Yeah FSINN is better than squawkbox but it has a bit of a learning curve. I would go get that and set it up and leave any questions you have about it here in the forum and I will check later tonight If you cant wait that long I'm sure somebody else will respond to any questions you have.You can download FSINN here. http://www.qva-airwa...ine/connect.htmand the tutorial here: http://www.qva-airwa...ected/fsinn.htmI would take the time to learn how to use FSINN and get connected etc before getting into an event like cross the pond tomorrow. That is a huge event and very crazy and its hard enough when you know how everything works. Best bet is to get familar with things first and maybe wait the next event.Best way to learn is get FSINN setup and Logon and sit at an airport that has some traffic and just listen for awhile and you will pick up the procedures. There is a program called VATSPY you can download and it has a map and you can see all the controllers that are currently on, and all the pilots as well. Recommend you get this too. This is a stand alone program and you can run it anytime even if FSX is not running.http://www.metacraft.com/VATSpy/But just for some of the basics here is how it would work. Your sitting at the gate and Center, Tower and Ground are online. Since Ground is on you would tune to their frequency and say. Example: Good Morning LAX Ground UAL115 with you requesting IFR Clearance to Honolulu. They would tell you to stand by and look up your Flight Plan and then give you clearance. After they are done you read back their clearance to confirm you understand.Of course before you call for cleance you should have your flight plan filled out and sent in.After that it is fairly easy and self explanatory. After you read back your clearance they will say something like Readback correct, push and start approved call for taxi. So then you would push and start and when your ready to taxi you call them back and say Ready to taxi to 25R (Whatever Runway you were assigned).You taxi to runway Ground hands you off to Tower. Then you get takeoff clearance and Tower hands you off to Departure, then Departure hands you off to Center. It all works pretty much just like the real world, just follow their instructions and if you have any questions tell them your new and request further clarification on anything you do not understand..Now your not always going to see Center, Approach, Tower, Ground, Delivery all at one time. So when your at the gate if Delivery is not on you call Ground, If Ground not on then Tower, if not Tower then Departure. if none of those is on and Center is then you call them for IFR clearance. Basically call whoever is lowest on the totem pole for clearance. Usually you would start with Delivery.Now if no controllers are on in your area then you would just announce your intentions on UNICOM which is 122.800 for most of the World, In Brazil its 123.450 and in South Africa its 124.800KLAX Traffic UAL115 Push and Start - Then when ready to taxi you would say. KLAX Traffic taxing to 25R. - Then when you get to the runway. KLAX traffic lining up and taking off 25R PERCH NINE Departure, DINTY Transition. (Whatever the SID your using at the time).After your airborne you can pretty much climb up to cruise without saying anything else unless there is traffic in your immediate area and you want them to know your intentions.When you get near your arrival airport if controllers are online there you will start with Center, Approach, Tower, Ground. That is if they are online. If they are not Center will do his best to get you all the way to the gate himself. If Center is not online but Approach is then he will call you when you enter his Airspace etc etc.If there is no ATC at your Arrival then you would say something like this. UAL115 Leaving FL380 and descending on Maggi Three to 10,000 at BAMBO.Starting your downwind you could say. PHNL traffic starting right downwind 08L. Announce when your on final approach and have the LOC, and finally announce when leaving the active runway so traffic knows your clear.You only have to announce your intentions if ATC is not online. If they were online you would just read back all the stuff they tell you. Example: UAL115 Turn left hdg 050 descend and maintain 3000 and 180 knots. You respond with Left Hdg 050, Down to 3000 and 180 knots.Once you comfortable doing all that then its time to learn how to do Cross the pond flights. Read up on the VATSIM Pilot Documenation there is a lot to learn in there and it explains everything you need to know.http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/But just for a quick example on crossing the pond. Oceanic is on and calls you for a position report.The format for the report is: Last Waypoint and Zulu Time, Altitude and Mach Speed, Current Waypoint, Next Waypoint.Here is an example. We are flying to Dublin from Boston and the Flight Plan is.BOS J55 ENE J581 TOPPS N137B REDBY 5450N 5440N 5430N 5320N MALOT GISTI OLAP3UYou have just passed 5450N and starting your report.UAL115 Reports LAST 5450N 12:34z at FL370, Mach .80 Estimating 5440N at 12:34z NEXT 5430NThe FMC wil have all the times and waypoints just look there for the info for your report.You only have to do this kind of report when your flying in Oceanic Airspace because any other time they can monitor you by radar and you do not have to position report. If no Oceanic is on then you do not need to report.Finally while this all seems like a bit much and might be a little intimidating to some it only takes a couple flights to get used to it. Once your comfortable and everything comes naturally you will never want to fly offline again.If your on VATSIM send me a private message and say hello. My callsigns are either UPS202 or UAL115.Example on private Chat. You use the .MSG command with a period before the msg and then the callsign of whoever you want to talk to..msg UAL115 Hey Paul hows it going? Once you do that the first time a tab will show up with UAL115 and you can just type in there without using the .msg thing anymore. Only time you gotta use .msg again would be if your close the UAL115 Tab.Good Luck and see ya in the skies....

I prefer Fsinn since it is much smaller on the screen than Squawk box. the only problem is getting started with it. It takes about 2 hours of troubleshooting until Fsinn works but when it works it is much better (according to me) than squaw box. Regarding the unknown, I was really nervous the first time I went online but then it quickly faded out. To begin with, most airport have no active controller so most of the time you are busy just looking left and right so no one is taxiing into you. If there is ATC online ask him if you are unsure about something, most of them are happy to teach new stuff. The only thing you shouldn't do is to go somewhere where there is a lot of traffic and start asking questions, that they usually don't like at all.If you want to see where there is traffic and ATC online I would suggest downloading VATSPY http://www.metacraft.com/VATSpy/. It is a very good tool for looking up the traffic in VATSIM.If you have trouble understanding what the tower says, start flying using text (you enter /T/ in the flightplan remarks section) and then they will contact you with text. It is also good since you easily can get back and check what he just said.Remember, VATSIM is made to have fun and have realism, try to be as professional as you can and everything else will sort itself out.About the event I would be a bit patient with it. If there is a big event and you get some kind of technical error (communication problem, fsinn error, ....) it would disturb them alot. There are loads of big events on VATSIM, just check the homepage. My suggestion is that you shouldn't fly a big event as long you still have the "unknown" felling. After that, go for it!Good luck flying and see ya in the airManfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

The event tomorrow is Cross The Pond Eastbound, and there's supposed to be (like always) 400+ aircraft above the Atlantic scattered across 4 NATs usually. This even requires good (close to perfect) knowledge of position reports to Oceanic Control (Shanwick on the EU side, Gander on the US side) and at some points there might be up to 50 aircraft on 1 frequency, making it very difficult to hear your callsign between all the other blatter!But, if you feel you are good enough for this event, then sure do! I'm afraid I can't join it for the 3th time in a row due to personal commitments, damn it...

Personally i fly on ivao because i can kick the ivao window out of my screen. Is it possible with sqwakbox? And which one is more professional? VATSIM or IVAO?Kaman BA

Personally i fly on ivao because i can kick the ivao window out of my screen. Is it possible with sqwakbox? And which one is more professional? VATSIM or IVAO?Kaman BA
I have heard that VATSIM has more experienced ATC but I have never flown on IVAO so don't quote me on it.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Dennis, one important thing you have to remember about the event is the range and delays. I am not sure if the NGX can perform both as there tends to be long delays on the GND prior to departure and then at the arrival airports, depending on the time you fly. Moreover, if you don't have a slot, you will have to wait for some time to get one, again, be smart about it and wait at the Gate than with the engines running on the taxiway.But if you can fly the non-event NATS and are familiar with the Oceanic procedures etc, go for it. You can also fly between two arrival airports or two departure airports which are much closer to each other in range and delays will be much less and still enjoy gate to gate ATC.SqkBox or FSInn...both have their challenges and quirks. (They both have windows you can push outside the sim window btw). At this time FSinn's automatic acft matching service is offline, so unless you have a large model set and can perform the steps required for matching it, you will end up seeing the same few planes over and over again. With SqkBox, you may even see ? marks and Paper planes...unless of course you know how to do their model sets.Remember, tomorrow's event is a lot of aircraft, and a lot of radio banter, be calm and pay attn and you can have fun in there. And be prepared to take control of the a/p outside your FMC flight plan or just hand fly it when it comes to it as there may be vectors for traffic and hold coming very fast at you :)Hope you get to have fun and if you pass through Moncton FIR after 1500z, don't forget to say Hi.

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

I dont think flying Cross The Pond as your first flight on VATSIM would be very enjoyable at all, but I do think that flying a short regional flight when the planes depart of arrive during the event would be a good experience. You would be guaranteed some traffic and ATC. Be ware tho, its really hectic during Cross The Pond (but thats what I love about it). Make sure that you truly understand what youre supposed to do and what not to do when it comes to ATC instructions and flying your plane

OK, great. Nix on the big event, but I am definitely up to some local stuff. FSINN is it, and I'm off to figure it out. Thanks for all the replys so far. If nothing else, can't I just park the plane and watch the event takeoff over here then log out park the plane over there and watch them fly in without actually flying myself?

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

They actually will tell you to just slew yyour aircraft out the area, like outside the airport wiwith a view, tune your radio, and listen first. There are atc on in different areas all the time. I use qutescoop to monitor wherr aarc is . It will also show you their current arc position and frequency, I run this oon my second monitor. I chase atc and love it. Once you fly online, you wont stop, the only times i aam ever ooffline is when testing new addons or taking photos.....Any questions about it, except for FSINN, ask away, the prc on the website also have real good info, like correct radio manners ans such...wish you the best.My first flight online was a mess, but the most fun I ever had. I screwed up clearance and my flight plan, but....vatsim controllers are very nice aand always willing to help.

I just park the plane and watch the event takeoff over here then log out park the plane over there and watch them fly in without actually flying myself?
Excellent Idea.. Will be so many people online if you just sit there and listen you will pick up alot on your first time. If you feel comfortable enough you can always wait till the events well underway and then takeoff off behind them. That way by the time you get across pond most of the traffic will be light and it will be easier for you.