Sign in to follow this  
ga

Any one having the diffrent range on APP, Center etc.

1. ok just wounder any one having the diffrent distance range on teh diffrent controllers like Approach, Center, Departure etc. how far out they reach and shold take contact....2. And another question, I usely ask the ATC for Initial climb alt for takeoff , is this bad or lacy, should I have cehcked it my self ;)3. On ATIS info you get also "Trl50" etc. this means that you should get QNH to STD at FL5000 right?

1. Approach and Departure usually fall within 30 to 40 nm of your departure or arrival airport. Outside of these limits you are under control of Center. Center is divided into sectors called FIRs geographically. In addition there are several vertical level stratus where altitude becomes the dividing border as well.In the real world there are in the US high traffic density areas preferred routes where local control (departure and arrival) may pass an aircraft through much of its route without transitioning to Center. This is not emulated in FS ATC to my knowledge.Also in the real world some areas like in the UK have both an approach and local radar controller so approach is divided into two distance zones.2. If you want a stepped ascent file a lower cruise and then as you burn off fuel request a higher cruise altitude.3. FS9 and (as far as I know FSX) have hard coded transition altitudes to my knowledge globally unlike the real world. If you are flying let's say in Europe and you use the 'B' key to set the altimeter it will always set the standard pressures for flight levels at a fixed transition altitude of 18,000 feet. I assume FS ATC operates accordingly. If FS ATC does announce a transition level then set the altimeter pressure to standard above that altitude. The 'B' key still functions incorrectly however.FWIW the Radar Contact ATC product does have and respect transition altitudes established at different regions. I don't know about other products.

3:) not quite but you are not far. Transition level is when you go from STD to QNH and transition altitude is QNH to STD Transition altitude is always the same( in one region) and transition level is changing with the QNH.

Can't speak for other add-on ATC applications but for RC users we state that if ATC commands a new altitude by flight level then use standard altimeter reference and if it commands an altitude in feet the use QNH (local pressure) needs to be set as advised.

Yes that is the way in real world also when atc tells you flight levels that is in STD

1. Yes, ranges can be different. That is because different airports have different sizes of the APP zones. Circles that you see in VATSPY doesn't represent the real borders af the APP zones.2. If you ask this to the ATC that provides you with the clearance, he/she should give you the initial climb altitude, however it is a common practice in many airports not to do this, because usually you have Init. climb altitude given in the charts. And you must have them onboard! ;)If, for some reason, init. climb alt will be different from the one you see in charts (some changes in airspace, or whatever reason) then you will be instructed by ATC on your IFR clearance. If you dont hear "initially climb xxxx feet, it means LOOK IN THE CHARTS. :)3. you got the answers.

Thx Gents ;)