Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

Cold N dark

Hey all,when i am loading up cold and dark flight 747 x or fx something like that i can remember, from the load panel state, some things are not turned off, such as IRS is on nav the buttons above the bus transfors and some thing that i cant remember, and i cant click on the external power cause its not doing anything i mean i discover all this things when i saw this video:

thanks for any help,Regards, Daniel Choen

I'm going from 4-month old memory, so I could be mistaken about a couple of things, but here goes.The IRS switches as best I can recall are not saved in your panel state. They always default to 'on' however your irs alignment is saved. I saved probably 4 or 5 panel states trying to get it to work like you & never could. There are a few other switches/buttons that also are not saved in a panel state. Realistically, however, it's far more common to enter a flight-deck with the basic systems already running. IRS on, battery on, external power or possibly even the APU on.For external power to work there has to be external power available. It's possible that you're not quite in the correct position at that specific gate to trigger ext power availability (fsx gets very finicky with addon planes & their exact positions). Try slewing a few meters left, right, forward or back to see if it then becomes available. Another workaround (if I recall correctly) is to open the pmdg options menu, unselect ext power, reselect it & exit the menu. It should then be available.To avoid many potential issues, a good habit to get into with the 744 is to start the flight with a default plane like the cessna, load the 744 without ending the flight, then load the panel state you wish. (or just turn everything off in the cessna for a cold & dark 744)

I really wouldn't pay much attention to ""tutorials"" like this one...the author (whilst I mean him no ill) could have caused severe damage to the a/c & indeed seriously injured or even killed any ground crew in close proximity to the a/c within 30 seconds of applying power to the aircraft had his button pushing & knob turning sequence occurred in real life...not to mention the incorrect positioning of the IRS Switches (the IRS Switch state cannot be saved) - IRS Switches go from OFF to NAV & not OFF to ALIGN as is quoted to so many places!As stated above, create a saved flight scenario with the default Cessna parked at your favourite airport (ensure that the Cessna is fully de-powered before creating the saved flight scenario).In FS9 you must set the Zero Fuel Weight using the Load Manager that came with the product BEFORE starting FS, with FSX I believe this can be done with FS running.After loading this saved flight scenario (& to commence pre-flight in the PMDG 744) select the PMDG 744 version & once this has loaded use the PMDG Menu native to the FS Menu to select the Cold/Dark Cockpit Scenario. From here you can the use the same PMDG Menu to load the fuel requirement & crack on with the flows & scans.If at this stage you decide to load another version of the PMDG 744 (different livery or engine type) you should exit FS & restart from your saved scenario - issues can occur if you fail to do this & this forum is littered with posts discussing problems - the majority of which are caused by this underlying cause. (Please nobody dive in & flame this particular comment - these things do happen - we need to help this guy get up & running first!!!!)The manual that came with the product contains a much better set of 'Normal Procedures' (at Chapter 5) which take you from cold & dark at the departure airfield right through until cold & dark at the destination airfield (Save the IRS procedure which I mentioned above).

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

If you can spare the money, aoa's 744 training package is top-notch. It gives a solid education on systems & procedures. At the end you won't just be flipping a switch at a certain time because someone told you to. Youll understand what that switch does and why/when it needs to be flipped.

If you can spare the money, aoa's 744 training package is top-notch. It gives a solid education on systems & procedures. At the end you won't just be flipping a switch at a certain time because someone told you to. Youll understand what that switch does and why/when it needs to be flipped.
if its helping like you describe no problem i can spare some money, where can i get it??, thanks!

Just for the record, when I choose the PMDG Cold and Dark scenario, the overhead panel shows IRS, Hydraulic Demand Pump and Air Conditioning Pack selector switches all OFF but, when I select the Cessna 172SP and switch “everything” off then change to the 747-400X, all of these switches are still ON. Is there something I forgot to switch off in the Cessna?Edit: I'm oversimplifying. Instead of ON, I should say the IRS selector switches are at NAV and the Hydraulic Demand Pump selector switches are at AUTO and The Air Conditioning Pack selector switches are at NORM.

Dugald Walker

Just for the record, when I choose the PMDG Cold and Dark scenario, the overhead panel shows IRS, Hydraulic Demand Pump and Air Conditioning Pack selector switches all OFF but, when I select the Cessna 172SP and switch “everything” off then change to the 747-400X, all of these switches are still ON. Is there something I forgot to switch off in the Cessna?Edit: I'm oversimplifying. I should say the IRS selector switches are at NAV and the Hydraulic Demand Pump selector switches are at AUTO and The Air Conditioning Pack selector switches are at NORM.
It isn't a 100% translation from the cessna to a C&D 744, but it get's you really close. You could try setting everything the way you like & then saving that as your C&D panel state, but as mentioned above there are a few switches that may still be on.

What, then, is the disadvantage of using the PMDG Cold and Dark scenario as the starting point? Does FS9 not have that scenario? I know only FSX.

Dugald Walker

It's just another way to arrive at a C&D state. Some users have trouble starting with the 744 as a default flight. Starting with the Cessna & switching everything off is a good workaround that gives a lot of people a more 'stable' flight.

Hey kenneth,i have just purchased the AOA and i have one question, i saw DVD 2 takeoff technique, and the thrust limit on his plane are showing with numbers, like 99.9 and stuff, on my plane its showing 1.44 and stuff, how can i change it? i didnt see that he did something special? thanks again, Daniel

Hey kenneth,i have just purchased the AOA and i have one question, i saw DVD 2 takeoff technique, and the thrust limit on his plane are showing with numbers, like 99.9 and stuff, on my plane its showing 1.44 and stuff, how can i change it? i didnt see that he did something special? thanks again, Daniel
Edit: I misread your post. I'm not sure exactly what that could be as I don't have the 744 installed anymore. (nothing against the plane, I just prefer the ngx)Possible a us vs. metric readout?Edit2: I scrolled through the video Procedures/Normal Takeoff and the N1 after engaging TOGA does stop around 99.6 as it should. Your's is showing 1.44 for N1 after pressing TOGA?

Errmmm...how about N1 vs EPR ??AoA using a GE engined 744 & you most likely a PW version or less likley a RR version?

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'