Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Texture resizer and .air files

Forgive me for asking, but is a texture resizer for the external textures still in the works so that we dont have to manually do it ourselves using photoshop or other image editing software? It's makes a big difference for those of us still using older 32bit systems when it comes to view from the external mode if we can knock them down to 1024. Although it's a bit of a pain in the rear doing it manually and hence I have only downloaded and installed one paint since the NGX came out. Maybe if we could get some type of .bat file that we could use or something like that it would be great.Also, post SP1 I noticed that all the .air files are marked as "read only" where as all my other addon a/c are uncheck in the box. From what I remember in the past they should be unchecked but I wanted to make sure that was still the case.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just flew a few circuits around KDFW and performance is so much better it's not even funny. I'm now getting performance about like what I get in the LDS 767 which is pretty dman good.Is it just me or have the landing sounds changed? When the wheels touch down it sounds like I just sat on a bag of corn chips, dont remember it sounding like that prior.Sean Campbell

Robert? Sorry to pester, but I was hoping you could answer while your online still.Sean Campbell

Forgive me for asking, but is a texture resizer for the external textures still in the works so that we dont have to manually do it ourselves using photoshop or other image editing software? It's makes a big difference for those of us still using older 32bit systems when it comes to view from the external mode if we can knock them down to 1024. Although it's a bit of a pain in the rear doing it manually and hence I have only downloaded and installed one paint since the NGX came out. Maybe if we could get some type of .bat file that we could use or something like that it would be great.Also, post SP1 I noticed that all the .air files are marked as "read only" where as all my other addon a/c are uncheck in the box. From what I remember in the past they should be unchecked but I wanted to make sure that was still the case.Sean Campbell
"Forgive me for asking, but is a texture resizer for the external textures still in the works so that we dont have to manually do it ourselves "I was also wondering about this.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Bump for Robert since I see he's online.Sean Campbel

Try READING the information for SP1 !!!PMDG have included both HIGH and LOW Rez textures, and a way to switch between them.Just run the new "Performance manager" that came with SP1.C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XPMDGPMDG 737 NGXPerfManNGXPerfMan.exe

Try READING the information for SP1 !!!PMDG have included both HIGH and LOW Rez textures, and a way to switch between them.Just run the new "Performance manager" that came with SP1.C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XPMDGPMDG 737 NGXPerfManNGXPerfMan.exe
Come on Geoff, try READING my post before you post!I said for the EXTERNAL textures, not the VC textures, which the Performance manager doesn't touch!Please read the post before you spout off and make me out to be an idiot like I didn't know about the performance Manager and its functions.Regards,Sean Campbell

Think an apology there would be worthwhile Geoff!

I appologizeBetter than that, I will stop posting on this forum.Can't do much more than that Doh.gif

Sean try the low-res gauges. It makes a huge difference too. More so than the textures I think.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Sean try the low-res gauges. It makes a huge difference too. More so than the textures I think.
Hi Max.I have no issues with the interior or VC peformance while using the low res VC textures and lower poly VC model, but I leave the guages in High-res mode since the performance is fine.What I am wondering is if PMDG will realease some sort of a batching tool we could use to convert the external textures from 4096 to 1024? Typically I wouldn't mind doing it by hand, which is what I have done with the one livery I have downloaded since I got the NGX. However, the reason I was hoping for a batching tool is two fold. One, since I run a 32bit OS with only 2GB RAM, sometimes I cant even get the 4096 texture to open in DXTBmp so that I can send the texture and alpha channel to GIMP seperately to resize. Secondly, even I I could open these textures in GIMP with no issue, the batch tool would be great due to the time it takes to resize the alphas and texture in GIMP then reload them into DXTBmp and save. If you have 10 textures to do its almost like you have 20 since you have to treat the alphas seperately.I am pretty sure a batch type of tool could be set up, kind of like the batch tool FSDT includes for their FS9 sceneries if you want to resize them all at once. Its just that I dont know how to write a batch file to do it. I disected the .bat file that FSDT offers and took a look at the scripting, but am not sure really how i could rewrite it to batch the repaints into 1024. Besides, I though a long time ago Vin said that they were gonig to offer a tool to resize the external paints, which was originally the point of my post. Hopefully Ryan or Robert can give me an answer on this as well as the question on the .air files being marked as "read only".Sean Campbell

Hi Sean,I agree fully with what you say... I have Windows XP pro SP3 and like you : "I have only downloaded and installed one paint since the NGX came out".With 1024 textures I can push a little bit more the scenery slidders and of course I have no more "skeletton" effect and no more AOM.I have DXTBmp and I just downloaded GIMP (I have not PhotoShop). I 'm absolutly not familiar with textures.Could you please if possible and not too long for your time, indicate the process to follow ?Thank you in advance,Best Regards,Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|