Sign in to follow this  

A sad day in flying for me....

Hi all,Today I had to do something today I have been dreading for weeks, I had to go to my local airport(EGNT)and cancel all my flying lessons. The company(www.darkblack.co.uk) who I worked for went into liquidation on monday and I am now unemployed, and as such I cant afford to fly any more. Its been 4 weeks since I last had a lesson and I miss flying so much. I only had 12 hours flying time and I had just started doing my circuits (got 3 in, spent 45mins holding on my first lesson doing circuits, my holdings now great!), Wouldn't have been long before I went solo. I hope to get flying again soon but I am not holding my breath. Sorry for the rantAsylum.

Guest RiddlePilot

I'm sorry to hear of this horrible occurence. Just keep studying anything and everything you can when you're not busy. It'll make you that much of a better pilot when you do get to start flying again.

Thanks Travis,I was starting to get ready for my Airlaw exam before all this happened, It just gives me more time to revise. I will start flying again its just a question of when? I think all the staff and my instructors at my flying school were more dissapointed than me today when I went to see them. (I will start flying again no matter what just dont know when?)Asylum.

Sorry to hear it. Hope you find a way to fly again soon. Like Travis said, just keep studying for all those tests. ;-)Matt

Hi. Stay close to airports and see if you can find pilots / instructors / flying clubs etc. that you may be able to fly with. See if you can contact some pilots from this forum. in your area, Peter Sidoli? and you may be able to ride with them for free, and learn some more at the same time. When you get a job you will be ready to go again without loosing too much of the "feel". Too bad you are not in LAX area where I could be of more help. Hang in there. TV

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone,I have not given up on flying at all (I have the bug!!)I just think it will take me a bit of time to get back into it after such a long break. Im am going to start taking my flight tests when I have revised enough so that when I get back to flying all I have to worry about is flying. If I can sit in on any ones flights I will, I love just being in the plane and flying around, and if I get to fly I see it as a bonus.Asylum.P.S:- is Peter Sidoli in my area? Ive seen him post here so much in the past.

I'm very sorry to hear this! :-(It's a bad day for you, but it was a great day for me. I did my first solo today. I'm sure that you will get to do it as well!!You can read my report if you wish to (www.rhodesyell.com/fly/).I wish you good luck in finding a new job.

Guest RiddlePilot

Yeah, find a couple of guys and observe all you can. They encourage us to do that here at school, as it helps you know what goes on in later lessons. My instructor had me do 2 back seat flights this week because I took my private at home in Virginia, so I didn't know the VFR area around Daytona worth squat. Now, not only do I know the area, I see the faults that other pilots made and I know now not to do the same. 2 for 1...and all for free.

Don't ever give up. I did 10 years ago, then a CFI I work with pushed me and I got my ticket last Feb. As others say, go watch planes (like the one you flew in) on weekends, and maybe get a small radio so you can watch them while listening to their comms at your home airport- I did this and am so glad I did.Good luck on getting more work. How's the economy in the U.K.? We're having a hard time on this side of the big pond.Bruce.

Congrats Lufthansa!Thats a nice site you got there. Im sure it wont be long before Im back in the cockpit.Asylum.

Hi Bruce,Things over here are fine at the moment, the only problem is the job I do will mean I will have to move away if I want to keep doing it and I like it where I live. Looks like a career change is in order.

Asylum, look at it from my prospective.... I was a fairly young man and had worked my way up to but not including an ATP and had a job offer on a YS-11 hauling freight in my hand... I had always had short periods that my heart would race for about 5 to 10 seconds all my life but it was happened so rarely I never paid any attention to it... THEN one day it didn't stop.... I had to go to the hospital for treatment and my medical was almost due... It has only happened twice in my life but that is all it takes so here I sit at the age of 56 with a pocket full of tickets and no medical... So, my friend, it can be worse, you can go back to flying when your position gets better, but unless the FAA passes the recreational pilots ticket I will never be able to on my own... So keep the faith up and study all you can and be ready when the time comes....Ron

Sorry to hear that Ron,I am definately going to get flying again as soon as possible. In the mean time however Im going to get all my exams out of the way, seems to be an ideal time to do so :-)Asylum

Guest David20UK

Hey AsylumBelieve it or not but my local airport is EGNT too, great little place isnt it!!!Im hoping to go flying soon for a first proper lesson, but nothing has beat the ATC Bulldogs so far, such fun flying with the RAF.Well hello from a fellow Newcastle liver,David Johnson

Hi David,EGNT is a cool little airport, especially the club house a real friendly atmosphere.Asylum