Sign in to follow this  
WilloW_737

sharing folders between 2 WIN 7 machines - a little help please

Greetings;I've two WIN 7 PCs linked in a home network via a switch. All the network settings seem OK and I can see the name of PC1 in the network section PC2 and vice versa.When you share a folder that has been created on the on the main C: Drive, is it normal to NOT be able to see this folder on the C: Drive of the other computer? I can see the folder in the network section of both computers. If I right click and select share with home network, I can see the folder in the home network section on each computer. BUT, I never can see the folder on BOTH C: Drives.Is this normal??Thank you, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

HI Iain,I can view the main C: on both computers. What allowed me to view on both was to right click on the main C: and then under Advanced Sharing checked the box 'share this folder', then clicked the Permissions button, The 'Everyone' was there under Group or user names, highlighted Everyone and checked the boxes Full Control, Change and Read then clicked OK. Sometimes you might get a warning message that you can't share certain files or folders but after closing all the open windows I used for Advanced Sharing the drives were there?Also sometimes had to "take ownership" of the folders I wanted to share. I have the utility Ultimate Windows Tweaker from Microsoft for Windows 7 http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista and one of the settings has "take ownership." One other tweak I liked was the ability to hide the arrows on the shortcut icons on the desktop. That was previously offered under Windows XP Ultimate Tweaker utility.

Thanks for your help.I did as you have suggested, however, I cannot view folders within C Drive on both machines. I can only view folders that have been shared within the home network. I've attempted several ways of sharing including everyone, home group and so forth.If I change a file in C drive on PC 1 and I cannot see the change on PC2 C drive UNLESS I am looking at the home network column - then I can see the change.I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct or not - all I now is that it's very frustrating and time consuming. Thanks for your help, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Thanks for your help.I did as you have suggested, however, I cannot view folders within C Drive on both machines. I can only view folders that have been shared within the home network. I've attempted several ways of sharing including everyone, home group and so forth.If I change a file in C drive on PC 1 and I cannot see the change on PC2 C drive UNLESS I am looking at the home network column - then I can see the change.I'm not sure if what I'm doing is correct or not - all I now is that it's very frustrating and time consuming. Thanks for your help, Iain
When you change a file on PC1 you will not see any change on PC2 c: drive because the are totally separate entities
Greetings;I've two WIN 7 PCs linked in a home network via a switch. All the network settings seem OK and I can see the name of PC1 in the network section PC2 and vice versa.When you share a folder that has been created on the on the main C: Drive, is it normal to NOT be able to see this folder on the C: Drive of the other computer?I can see the folder in the network section of both computers. If I right click and select share with home network, I can see the folder in the home network section on each computer. BUT, I never can see the folder on BOTH C: Drives.Is this normal??Thank you, Iain
YesThe shared folder will not appear in the C: drive directory listing on the second PC,You need to mount the shared drive and browse to it across the network.

When you change a file on PC1 you will not see any change on PC2 c: drive because the are totally separate entitiesYesThe shared folder will not appear in the C: drive directory listing on the second PC,You need to mount the shared drive and browse to it across the network.
Ah I see now!Share the folders to want to share to "everyone" and you can see them in the NETWORK section of the 2 computers, NOT as I thought in each C: Drive of each PC.Makes complete sense now. Cheers, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator