Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Any need to put OS and FSX on separate . . . SSDs?

Was guessing maybe it's much less of an issue w/ SSD's over HDD's. What do you know for sure re this?Thanks in advance!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Was guessing maybe it's much less of an issue w/ SSD's over HDD's. What do you know for sure re this?Thanks in advance!Noel
I had my System and FSX partitions on the same SSD up to the last couple of weeks. Due to the need for more space I acquired another SSD and now have FSX on it having left my System partition where it was. I haven't noticed any difference in FSX or System performance after this move.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Maybe thats why i get stutters around big cities/airports. I have FSX and WIN7 on the same partion, on the same hard drive! I knew i had forgot to do something when i installed FSX.. Too late now.

Guest jahman
Maybe thats why i get stutters around big cities/airports. I have FSX and WIN7 on the same partion, on the same hard drive! I knew i had forgot to do something when i installed FSX.. Too late now.
If the HDD was the problem, you wouldn't be getting stutter, you would be getting blurries. Stutters are more a CPU/RAM sort of thing.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest jahman

Well, while your CPU is OK, in you sig you say it's running at 3.3 GHz. To get rid of the stutters in cities/airports you would have to OC to 4.5+ GHz (is what I have been reading others post, my PC is rather old).Cheers,- jahman.

I had my System and FSX partitions on the same SSD up to the last couple of weeks. Due to the need for more space I acquired another SSD and now have FSX on it having left my System partition where it was. I haven't noticed any difference in FSX or System performance after this move.
That is good to know thank you. It's much easier to clone a backup on one drive than 2 or 3!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well, while your CPU is OK, in you sig you say it's running at 3.3 GHz. To get rid of the stutters in cities/airports you would have to OC to 4.5+ GHz (is what I have been reading others post, my PC is rather old).Cheers,- jahman.
Its at 4.6 fella. Its got that i intend to OC to 4.5 after the 3.3ghz bit, although i went to 4.6 instead.
Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz. Will aim to take it to 4.5ghz

If the HDD was the problem, you wouldn't be getting stutter, you would be getting blurries. Stutters are more a CPU/RAM sort of thing.Cheers,- jahman.
jahman,I have noticed when certain .wav files load from ATC or sometimes other, there is often a pause in FSX's displayed video. When the sound is re-played the pause does not occur, which I assumed was because the call to execute it came from memory now that it was loaded on the first pass. I've always assumed this was from hard-drive reads. Another example of this quality of pause occurs for me when I was using ActiveSkyX and a weather update was occurring. I assumed this had to do w/ writing data to disk. Stop and start writes.Given these possibilities, do you think stutters, which one might argue are clusters of short pauses, is occurring from HDD operations, perhaps only w/ larger files, or when there are so many other competing demands from fsx runtime that the addition of the a minor HDD operation was enough to manifest a stutter?Noel

Noel

Guest jahman

Stutters are due to CPU overload and are generally reduced by increasing CPU and RAM speeds. Lack of HDD BW shows up as scenery blurries, not stutters.Cheers,- jahman.

Maybe there is a difference between "stuttering" and "stutters".I agree that stuttering generally means that the CPU is overloaded,but here are certainly occasional stutters that arise when a sound file needs to be loaded, as an example.Not sure what the SSD contributes on my system other than it is very smooth and quiet!

Bert