Sign in to follow this  
redfire66

Upper air winds

I was wondering where to get the wind strength predictions for high level flight (35000 ft) in order to get more accurate fuel calculationsRed

I was wondering where to get the wind strength predictions for high level flight (35000 ft) in order to get more accurate fuel calculationsRed
To get a general view of winds aloft you can go here: http://aviationweather.gov/adds/winds/ none of these will give you a highly accurate fuel prediction they are general forecasts.However to get an ACCURATE compilation of winds aloft for fuel calucations you need to do the following:1. Generate your route of flight with all waypoints2. Go to each waypoint that reports WX along your route of flight and pull the Winds Aloft forecast for each one. http://aviationweather.gov/products/nws/fdwinds/3. Average the wind speed and direction for all of your waypoints for your chosen flight plan level3a. If the flight level of your route of flight is not part of the chart (i.e. chart shows winds aloft at FL330 and FL350 but your route is FL340) then you need to extrapolate the difference (assuming you know how to extrapolate).4. Factor in your direction of flight in relation to the average winds aloft to get your average winds relative to your aircraft. This is the figure you want to use to calculate fuel.ORGo buy Active Sky Evolution. It does all this for you in two clicks.

Hi,I'm Steve and I'm writing Ideal Flight to get the most out of FSX.With Ideal Flight global weather simulation, it has the most advanced winds simulated, and also the most complex winds and environment available to FSX. And no chopping winds between weather cells. For example; IF will create Jetstreams which you can fly in and can save time on cross Atlantic flights going east. Even though over 100Knots, you can slip in and out of them. The planner will auto create your plan with NAT WPs. The fuel calculation, which is the most accurate available for FSX, works it out to a few Kg in a 747, and an ETA to within a few minutes.You have got to enter the correct range for the aircraft, so you basically fly at cruise and alt with a general load of cargo and fuel, fly steady and choose the fuel report menu item that IF adds to FSX. You also get a more accurate fuel report once you get your de-brief. Your briefing shows you the route, airports, and everything you need to know. The routes are the most advanced auto planned available with minimum atitudes and TOC/TOD. Version [rg] a big upgrade out any day now, includes Ground Effect for helicopters. Please see the report page on the site.Best regards.cl_if_sky6.jpg

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

redfire66, just so you know, you posted in the wrong subforum. This one is for the upcoming "Microsoft Flight."

Brandon Filer

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.