Sign in to follow this  
Brittfrog

User's tweaks causing CTDs with NGX... needs help resolving...

ok in answer to leffe,yes deleted via windows installer, did not find the files in simconnect, antivirus is left on, uac is off , fsx is configured to always start by admin, rebooted ,and as you say started in free flight say for example yhba, fmc programmed for a flight to ybbn as soon as i pass 11000 feet without exception i get a ctd, if i fly manually i can then get close to ybbn , if i then program the fmc to fly an approach it crashes at some point on the approach. it is definitely a memory issue because when i manage to land manually most of the runway and taxiway texture has disappeared and one has to wait several minutes for it to return. uiautomation thingy is the same one that worked perfectly before with version 2922. and is a good one that took some finding.Srdan the lod radius i use is 8.50000 this worked perfectly in 2922, i have not tried to return to 4.5 since installing sp1reducing the cockpit texture to low res has no effect at all, in fact i cant see any difference when changing from hi res to low.as a matter of observation the current version for me is far worse than the original version before hotfixes , i managed with a bit of fiddling to get that to work quite well with very few ctd's, if any

Nigel.Porter

8.5 is an absolutely *RIDICULOUS* lod radius setting. That setting MASSIVELY increases memory load, it's one of the worst setting to increase if you're having OOM crash problems (which is almost certain what this is).

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

LOD 8.5 is WAY too much for usage in ORBX, NGX, addon airports etc.If you look into FSX forum, you will see my current thread on this subject.I have found out that some sceneries make calls, which I don't have any explanation for, if VAS goes in usage above 3.4GB, it will crash with some sceneries. G3D.dll error.Right now, I'm not sure if it's possible to run more than 5.5. It all depends on how much VAS usage goes up. If you reach around 3.5GB usage, you are in dangerous waters.And what I like so much about these complaints, is that they are completely uneducated! Like, my FSX is crashing with OOM, I am using high LOD and I don't care if then it only happens with NGX... there is a reason for everything.

hi just tried the same flight set at 4.5 well at first it seemed better but it still ctd'd whilst making the turn onto final. so i managed another 10 minutes flight with far less visual qualityi hear what you are saying Ryan about 8.5 being high, but it worked perfectly in 2922 so why not Sp1???I am thinking i will going back to 2922 because i see no benefits of Sp1it will be interesting to see what others find i see there are a few others with ctd probs

Nigel.Porter

Gents-When tweaking your FSX to get the performance/visual settings you want- please please please please PLEASE keep in mind that you are running a very advanced simulation in the NGX.It wants resources....It needs resources...There is a massive amount of computational work going on under the hood, and if you soak up all the available resources with really nice looking terrain and scenery, you are going to have to user your noggin' when it comes to things like LODs...I have a "decent" machine that I use for development and testing, but I am also a bit of a scenery 'ho thanks to the input of Dr. EV(il) and I love nothing more than flying the NGX in and out of medium sized fields all around the OrbX PNW. I do not have CTDs... and I have the added load of running the simulator AND the dubgger at the same time.But I have made realistic decisions regarding the LODs etc.I guess what I'm saying is: If you don't understand what you are doing with all the tweaks and configs- then you may just want to leave them alone. Just because you read in a forum that someone else has his LOD set to 2,853,291 (Shocked.gif) doesn't mean it is smart, nor does it mean that it will work on your particular machine...Thus far with SP1- nearly every CTD we have researched has been the result of the user doing something whacked out with the manual tweaking, or has been a problem unrelated to the NGX... I'm NOT saying the NGX is flawless- but I am saying that the NGX will push your tweaking into CTD territory if you don't REALLY understand what you are doing...Nigel-I have changed the title of this thread to put it a bit more on target... Lets see if we can't get some experienced tweakers to join the discussion and find you a solution...You shouldn't have the problems you are having around SEA... So we have to "undo" whatever problems you might have created there while striving for improvement.I'm sure there are enough experts around here to get you running...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

LOD 8.5 is WAY too much for usage in ORBX, NGX, addon airports etc.If you look into FSX forum, you will see my current thread on this subject.I have found out that some sceneries make calls, which I don't have any explanation for, if VAS goes in usage above 3.4GB, it will crash with some sceneries. G3D.dll error.Right now, I'm not sure if it's possible to run more than 5.5. It all depends on how much VAS usage goes up. If you reach around 3.5GB usage, you are in dangerous waters.And what I like so much about these complaints, is that they are completely uneducated! Like, my FSX is crashing with OOM, I am using high LOD and I don't care if then it only happens with NGX... there is a reason for everything.
I take exception to this last remark as you have no idea of my knowledge or experience with fsim it may surprise you to know that fsx runs at 8.5 for everything except ngx in fact I have run it higher but found that 7.5-8.5 was a sweet spot with 2922, but you would know that as you know it all it seems, ---notI also know and accept that as ryan says it increases memory usage enormously but it handles it!! and you get the added benefit of no shimmering scenery even with orbyx that is why i find it strange that sp1 cant handle it.

Nigel.Porter

Nigel-Take exception to anything you like- but I think the results speak for themselves. You have been digging in with the personalized tweaks, and you have created a situation where the NGX pushes your setup beyond the limits...The folks that know this product the best are trying to help you- so you can take offense- or you can be open minded to the fact that maybe you've got something bunged up...We've all got everything to gain by helping you sort this out- but you have to be willing to accept the fact that the problem AND the solution both involve you.This whole forum is here to help if you want it.

Gents-When tweaking your FSX to get the performance/visual settings you want- please please please please PLEASE keep in mind that you are running a very advanced simulation in the NGX.It wants resources....It needs resources...There is a massive amount of computational work going on under the hood, and if you soak up all the available resources with really nice looking terrain and scenery, you are going to have to user your noggin' when it comes to things like LODs...I have a "decent" machine that I use for development and testing, but I am also a bit of a scenery 'ho thanks to the input of Dr. EV(il) and I love nothing more than flying the NGX in and out of medium sized fields all around the OrbX PNW.I do not have CTDs... and I have the added load of running the simulator AND the dubgger at the same time.But I have made realistic decisions regarding the LODs etc.I guess what I'm saying is: If you don't understand what you are doing with all the tweaks and configs- then you may just want to leave them alone. Just because you read in a forum that someone else has his LOD set to 2,853,291 (Shocked.gif) doesn't mean it is smart, nor does it mean that it will work on your particular machine...Thus far with SP1- nearly every CTD we have researched has been the result of the user doing something whacked out with the manual tweaking, or has been a problem unrelated to the NGX... I'm NOT saying the NGX is flawless- but I am saying that the NGX will push your tweaking into CTD territory if you don't REALLY understand what you are doing...Nigel-I have changed the title of this thread to put it a bit more on target... Lets see if we can't get some experienced tweakers to join the discussion and find you a solution...You shouldn't have the problems you are having around SEA... So we have to "undo" whatever problems you might have created there while striving for improvement.I'm sure there are enough experts around here to get you running...
Robert, thank you as well for your answer, and I agree with all you say , however I am not some 16 year old that has no fsim experience i also am an atpl that flies airbuses in europe (my other 1179 is a 727 adv) , i have also used fsim since fs2 and there are not many on this site that can say that!I agree completely with the fact that increasing lod causes problems but it worked in 2922 I have over the years arrived at a level of knowledge by trying what others suggest , a suck it and see approach i guess , and perhaps i dont have your technical knowledge, but i am a lot better than some of your beta testers given the snags they didnt pick up in the first issue of ngx.But I am not here to criticise your product , i think it is marvelous and praise it wherever i go with other pilots I would just like a solution that has raised its head since installing sp1and as for those that criticise a high lod i have run much higher than 8.5 with other peoples add on scenery with spectacular results.I will try going back a few steps and see what happens i will re-uninstall ngx with spi and go back to 2922 and see if that works as it did if i use the windows uninstall should i also remove any mention of pmdg in the registry or leave that alone?

Nigel.Porter

I take exception to this last remark as you have no idea of my knowledge or experience with fsim it may surprise you to know that fsx runs at 8.5 for everything except ngx in fact I have run it higher but found that 7.5-8.5 was a sweet spot with 2922, but you would know that as you know it all it seems, ---notI also know and accept that as ryan says it increases memory usage enormously but it handles it!! and you get the added benefit of no shimmering scenery even with orbyx that is why i find it strange that sp1 cant handle it.
Sorry, that last remark was NOT targeted directly at you. The remark was general, just like Robert said, I read lots of posts, and I see often people complaining about OOMs, CTDs, but then I put a simply question about some tweak, usually targeted to pick what in my opinion would be the cause, not revealing the solution and often real bull comes out...I am not saying that YOU don't know what you're doing. I have no idea about that.That out of the way...Of course sim is going to run with 8.5, but apparently YOU don't know that there are only "places" that cause problems. Which I found out about just today.And running 7.5 or 8.5, yes, you were successful with 2922, but it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the aircraft.It all comes down to the VAS usage and where you fly. And how you fly.And I tested from NGX, 747 and default 737, and I have been able to cause the errors on those places with all 3 aircraft.While they happen in one situation, they don't happen in the 2nd flight... all because of what you do and if you manage to make the VAS go over approx. 3.4GB.I would suggest you keep an eye on your VAS. If you know how to read it?Trust me on this one, I just spent 2 days testing and tweaking, searching for an answer... and I have found it.You will not be able to run LOD 7.5 with NGX without the risk of OOM and/or g3d.dll error. While OOM won't happen that often, g3d.dll is surely going to, especially in FTX areas.LOD does not benefit to shimmering, it benefits to further sharper textures. Sharp textures don't mean less shimmering, if anything, than more.You are clearly wrong, even Robert has told you, I pray that you accept it.

Nigel-Okay mate- I've tried.I'm an ATP that is rated on the 744... That doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to FSX, computers or tweaking. It means precisely nothing.I'm trying to help you find a solution and you are hurling insults at the folks who invest thousands of hours helping to make this product great.I understand that you are frustrated- but Ryan and I are both trying to help you- but it appears you aren't interested.Best of luck- I hope someone here can talk you through a solution.

Robert, thank you as well for your answer, and I agree with all you say , however I am not some 16 year old that has no fsim experience i also am an atpl that flies airbuses in europe (my other 1179 is a 727 adv), i have also used fsim since fs2 and there are not many on this site that can say that!I agree completely with the fact that increasing lod causes problems but it worked in 2922 I have over the years arrived at a level of knowledge by trying what others suggest , a suck it and see approach i guess , and perhaps i dont have your technical knowledge, but i am a lot better than some of your beta testers given the snags they didnt pick up in the first issue of ngx.But I am not here to criticise your product , i think it is marvelous and praise it wherever i go with other pilots I would just like a solution that has raised its head since installing sp1and as for those that criticise a high lod i have run much higher than 8.5 with other peoples add on scenery with spectacular results.I will try going back a few steps and see what happens i will re-uninstall ngx with spi and go back to 2922 and see if that works as it did if i use the windows uninstall should i also remove any mention of pmdg in the registry or leave that alone?
Nigel, you clearly are somewhat educated in this matter, but either you are not showing it or not saying it, but there are quite a lot of missing links here.And I wouldn't go into waters of insulting the team, doesn't do you any good.
Nigel-Okay mate- I've tried.I'm an ATP that is rated on the 744... That doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to FSX, computers or tweaking. It means precisely nothing.I'm trying to help you find a solution and you are hurling insults at the folks who invest thousands of hours helping to make this product great.I understand that you are frustrated- but Ryan and I are both trying to help you- but it appears you aren't interested.Best of luck- I hope someone here can talk you through a solution.
Robert, well said. I give up.

It appears that we are losing something in the difference of our language from one side of the pond to the other ok thats life, i have come across it before, no sweat, since staring this thread all i wanted was an answer for why my system wouldnt run as it did with version 2922 it seems to have ended up getting nowhere just upsetting people , as a matter of information for those that are interested in getting better results out of fsx i tried my system with the stock lod of 4.5 and still experienced several ctd's however i have now increased my lod to 7.5 and just flown 2 flights with no ctd's at all so I am now a happy bunny again,thanks for all the input guys ngx is a good product i just dont understand how everyone got their knickers in a twist over such a trivial issue.

Nigel.Porter

in the meen time i am just curious about the uiautomationcore.dll . Does it do anything good regarding the OOM (memory control)?Its just that i might see a positiv developement in VAS after installing this in the FSX root or it might be Placebo?/Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

in the meen time i am just curious about the uiautomationcore.dll . Does it do anything good regarding the OOM (memory control)?Its just that i might see a positiv developement in VAS after installing this in the FSX root or it might be Placebo?/Michael Moe
No.Placebo.Never tested myself though, only telling what other said.