Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Experience with g3d.dll errors, but not a VAS problem - HELP

In my FSX I'm currently going over very weird error: g3d.dll with high(er) LOD.I have my Autosaving enabled, so I can test any time, but the sim is acting weird:If I'm flying a high LOD, for instance 7.5, my fav, I tend to get g3d.dll error at specific moments: for instance when I'm passing some airports (AS EDDF, maybe others) or coming into area of PNW, just before TOD for KSEA.Lowering LOD resolves the problem, I can pass with 4.5, but everything above is kind of poker...VAS is not a problem, since it's still in the gree area, somewhere around 3.5GB.I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on this!

KostaIt could still be an error in the VAS, ie if there is not enough contiguous space available in the VAS for FSX with the higher LOD value to load into - even though you still have VAS left (how did you measure it BTW -it would have to be dynamically?) you will generate an error which may or may not show up as an OOM error. IMHO the higher the LOD the more chance of a VAS error due the fact FSX may be loading a 'wider' area of g3d objects resulting in a 'memory clash' within the VAS, as 2 or more g3d objects may be trying to load into the same memory address within the VAS, or the way these 'increased number of objects' objects load into the VAS and how objects are 'released' to provide the necessary contiguous space could also cause an error.Just an opinion.Money%20Eyes.gifRegardsPeterH

Guest jahman
...VAS left (how did you measure it BTW
Via VM Map.Cheers,- jahman.

JI may be wrong - but does VM Map actually measure and report the amount of contiguous space there is in the VAS or how much the application is actually using in real time? I know that it measures physical ram allocation and the various paging file elements ie virtual memory (commit charge, etc). I have looked in vain for an app that can record what is actually happening the VAS in real time. As I say I could well be wrong!pH

Guest jahman

You get block count and max size, so you can get an idea of fragmentation there for each of the different VAS uses:dd535533.vmmap.jpgCheers,- jahman.

I use the Process Explorer to see the VAS. VMMap is also nice, it shows more data, but for the most part gibberish to me Hypnotized.gifAnd no auto-refresh...I never had g3d.dll crashes, especially not under the low VAS. I don't understand why they are here now.EDIT: I updated the GPU driver to the latest, and now no crash on the saved flight where it crashed yesterday... hmm... testing goes on.

Word Not Allowed,the G3D.dll crash could drive you crazy.I have also no explaining for it and I have tested this also for some weeks.I always had g3d.dll crashes at the same point approaching LOWI (same as others have somewhere else at the same point)I enabled then in the FSX.cfg "MissingLibraryObjects" and got two messages about missing objects which where solved with LOWI update 1.2But that was surely not the reason for the crashes!!!(But enabling "MissingLibraryObjects" could beware you maybe from crashing the sim - but gives you some message popup in other areas)With higher LOD I get also crahses approaching LOWI.I currently download NVIDIAs 285.62 - is that the new driver you talk about?Would be interesting if we could nail down the G3D.dll crashes as driver related...Hopefully, you have fresh, new ideas about that ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Not Allowed,the G3D.dll crash could drive you crazy.I have also no explaining for it and I have tested this also for some weeks.I always had g3d.dll crashes at the same point approaching LOWI (same as others have somewhere else at the same point)I enabled then in the FSX.cfg "MissingLibraryObjects" and got two messages about missing objects which where solved with LOWI update 1.2But that was surely not the reason for the crashes!!!(But enabling "MissingLibraryObjects" could beware you maybe from crashing the sim - but gives you some message popup in other areas)With higher LOD I get also crahses approaching LOWI.I currently download NVIDIAs 285.62 - is that the new driver you talk about?Would be interesting if we could nail down the G3D.dll crashes as driver related...Hopefully, you have fresh, new ideas about that ...
I had a flight yesterday from EGLL to KSEA, which crashed just before the TOD. But I had an autosave enabled every 30min. So I reloaded and got the same g3d.dll. I tested then with LOD 4.5, it passed, returned to 7.5, crash... OK, LOD problem.I tried changing BP, removing tweaks, all, to no avail.Then before I went to bed, I updated the driver and shut down.Today in the morning, I loaded the same 7.5 LOD flight, and it didn't crash. I tried this load 3 times, each and every time it passed with 7.5.And yes, now on the 285.62.EDIT: Wow, update: AS EDDF passed. These g3d.dll errors were most surely caused by the driver!2nd flight now, crash... Rolling%20Eyes.gif

I have a further observation to add:I noticed if VAS is above some certain point - can't really pinpoint how much exactly, but let's say 3,5GB, if I fly over AS EDDF, sim is going to crash with g3d.dll.If I reload the flight on the spot before where it crashes, VAS is going to be below 3, and it's gonna pass the scenery without the crash. But the VAS is not going to load 500mb more (thus maybe explaining that it would go over 4GB of VAS).It's something else, and it's definitely connected to AS sceneries...I am right now at the point where I believe driver has some impact, but I don't really know how much...

I think it's still a VAS issue...No I can't prove it but it seems when we fly over certain areas in Orbx the g3d creeps up. Almost like there's some scenery file that's loading when it shouldn't be and perhaps it causes a spike in the VAS.That's my theory hehe.Oh, one more thing to add - have you tried disabling Orbx and see if you still get them? I never get g3d's anymore outside of orbx.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think it's still a VAS issue...No I can't prove it but it seems when we fly over certain areas in Orbx the g3d creeps up. Almost like there's some scenery file that's loading when it shouldn't be and perhaps it causes a spike in the VAS.That's my theory hehe.Oh, one more thing to add - have you tried disabling Orbx and see if you still get them? I never get g3d's anymore outside of orbx.
I also think it has mostly something to do with VAS and LOD. But I don't get it why doesn't it go over if I lower the LOD...For instance, it doesn't work with LOD 7.5, but it does with 4.5. So I run 4.5, it should theoretically spike up, 500MB or more. Only reason maybe is that it doesn't show... but how can you spike 500MB and not show?No, not yet. I found g3d.dll near Frankfurt and Innsbruck. Both crash with g3d.dll when higher LOD used.

No, not yet. I found g3d.dll near Frankfurt and Innsbruck. Both crash with g3d.dll when higher LOD used.
Ooh the plot thickens... I haven't received any errors outside of PNW/NRM...This error is frustrating, to say the least. Too bad the old aces' guys couldn't shed a bit of light...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ooh the plot thickens... I haven't received any errors outside of PNW/NRM...This error is frustrating, to say the least. Too bad the old aces' guys couldn't shed a bit of light...
I've been testing around a bit, I have some doubts that maybe a driver version also plays a role.

Alright, not a driver thing. DEFINITELY LOD and high VAS usage. I still don't get it why it only happens with some sceneries.My finds: ORBX PNW, Aerosoft EDDF, Aerosoft LOWI. I tested some other airports with REALLY ridiculously high LODs (between 11 and 14) to get high usage just before I have airport in sight, and couldn't get it to break - tested airports were Flytampa LOWW, UK2000 EGLL. Those will only OOM if I push the usage above 4.05 (by using the high LOD setting).Remember, these are only tests, to find why only sometimes we see g3d.dll error, and I believe I have pinpointed it. I don't believe g3d.dll error is going to happen in any other case.Anything above 7.5 really looks great, but you are calling for trouble if used.

Guest jahman

You might want to read an ORBX team member says missing objects can cause CTDs, and of course as you increase LOD radius more objects get picked-up, so a missing object (or worse, a duplicate object) could get cloaked as an OOM CTD.Cheers,- jahman.