Sign in to follow this  
curt1

Frame rates - they mean nothing now

I can't believe the flight I just had with the NGX SP1. My frame rate counter still shows around 18 fps in the VC, but the smoothness now is unlike anything I've ever experienced in FSX. I flew from FSDT KLAS to FSDT KLAX and it felt like I was getting 40 fps the entire flight! I don't know how PMDG managed to smooth things out to this extent, but I no longer need a new computer. Great job, PMDG, you just saved me hundreds of dollars!!smile.png

are you using the low res textures via the new performance manager, i am picked up a few frames and cant notice and difference in the textures

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I can't believe the flight I just had with the NGX SP1. My frame rate counter still shows around 18 fps in the VC, but the smoothness now is unlike anything I've ever experienced in FSX. I flew from FSDT KLAS to FSDT KLAX and it felt like I was getting 40 fps the entire flight! I don't know how PMDG managed to smooth things out to this extent, but I no longer need a new computer. Great job, PMDG, you just saved me hundreds of dollars!!smile.png
A silly question: How can I see the frame rate counter??? I need an add-on?

A silly question: How can I see the frame rate counter??? I need an add-on?
Shift+Z.And to the OP, you're right. It feels REALLY smooth now (I'm still using the high res textures)

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

are you using the low res textures via the new performance manager, i am picked up a few frames and cant notice and difference in the textures
No, I'm still using the hi-res textures. They are a bit slow to load if I switch from an exterior view, but I can put up with that for the quality.

Same feeling here!!Last night after I finished the uninstall then install with SP1 I did a fligth from FSDT's KDFW to FSDT's KLAX, then onto FSDT's KLAS and was getting 25 to 50 FPS the whole way! Plus like you mentioned, even when I was down to 25 FPS it was still super smooth without any lagging or stuttering. I am now getting performance that rivals the performance I used to get in the LDS 767.Like you, I need to upgrade to a 64bit OS and more RAM/new CPU at some point, but until then, performance in the NGX is still more than fine. You can always DXTBmp and GIMP/Photoshop to downsize your external textures to 2048 or 1024 to make them load quicker as well which is what I have done and the difference is quality is very hard to tell unless you zoom close in.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You can always DXTBmp and GIMP/Photoshop to downsize your external textures to 2048 or 1024 to make them load quicker as well which is what I have done and the difference is quality is very hard to tell unless you zoom close in.
I thought that PMDG was gonna integrate this functionality into the livery manager. It would be great if they did.

I thought that PMDG was gonna integrate this functionality into the livery manager. It would be great if they did.
I thought so as well. I remember Vin mentioning it a long time ago that they would do something regarding the external texture sizes for those wishing to use the 1024's or 2048's. Then, like you I thought they were going to include a tool for the external textures as well if we want to down size them. I posted last night asking this question while Robert was online answering questions but he never replied. I bumped it a few times and still got no response. Maybe in the next day or so I will ask again. I've only installled one paint to this day due to the time it takes to downsize them since you need to be carefull to not wreck the alpha textures. Also, the 4096's are so big that sometimes I cant get DXTMBmp to load them without crashing the program, which was another reason I was hoping for some type of batch file tool to do this.Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is nice to.hear as i have stutter on ground.i will test fly later .hopes it will give me more smoothness even with HD VCMichael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

That functionality did become available with SP1, they just didn't integrate it with the livery manager. It's a separate program named "Preformance Manager" , its listed in the PMDG programs folder along with the manuals and the livery manager.Arthur Fabre

Yeah i have noticed it being much smoother. If for arguments sake i'm at EGBB and i have weather , traffic and it is an xtreme uk2000 airpot in the VC i get on average between 25-27 FPS. Very nice.

That functionality did become available with SP1, they just didn't integrate it with the livery manager. It's a separate program named "Preformance Manager" , its listed in the PMDG programs folder along with the manuals and the livery manager.Arthur Fabre
The "Preformance Manager" only mentions "cockpit" textures ... does it also change the external textures?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW