Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

First BSOD in several months? Why now?

A few months ago when my overclock was unstable I played with the voltage until it passed prime95 tests. It proved stable and the voltage and clock speed were the ones you see in my signature. I ran several FSX Flights (%70 over 7 hours of flying), Played the heck out of Battlefield 3 since release, and so on. All with no problems, but for some odd reason today the bsod happened again.It ALWAYS happens under the following circumstances:Only when watching youtube videos have I ever got the 0x124 bsod. Weird, huh? Last time I checked youtube wasnt as instensive as running fsx or playing BF3.BSOD Error:Stop 0x124I will upload the dmp file, but im pretty sure its the same error as before. (unstable Overclock)

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

A few months ago when my overclock was unstable I played with the voltage until it passed prime95 tests. It proved stable and the voltage and clock speed were the ones you see in my signature. I ran several FSX Flights (%70 over 7 hours of flying), Played the heck out of Battlefield 3 since release, and so on. All with no problems, but for some odd reason today the bsod happened again.It ALWAYS happens under the following circumstances:Only when watching youtube videos have I ever got the 0x124 bsod. Weird, huh? Last time I checked youtube wasnt as instensive as running fsx or playing BF3.BSOD Error:Stop 0x124I will upload the dmp file, but im pretty sure its the same error as before. (unstable Overclock)
I have read (I think in connection with the OCZ Vortex 3) that the 124 error might be related to the hard disk drive.However, personally, with an overclocked system I do not think it matters what the error message says. A more likely explanation is that the overclock has caused your kit to degrade. That was the conclusion to which I was driven in the case of my i7 975 which oc'd nicely to 4.4GHz for about 18 months and now won't really hold an oc at all.Tim

the computer is only 5 months old! all the parts are brand new! If the over clock has damaged the computer, I guess I will run with no or very little overclock. If its the hard drive, Im sure glad all my school and other files are backed up ;)More info on the HDD: I ran a test a couple months ago, and it came back healthy. As the hard drive has always been a concern (clicking at boot and shutdown) but I have ignored that issue for the most part.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

If they are often, then raise your Vcore. 0x124 is 99% of the time too low Vcore. Just give it 0.01+. Or if that doesn't fix it, try 1.4. 99% of time this is a safe voltage still... heck, I say 1.5 is also safe. But who am I to judge the whole internet?