Sign in to follow this  
billg1949

Is GEX Landclass software?

i have both GEX NA and scenerytech NA installed. do they complement each other or is one redundant? i also have orbx PNW installed. what order should they be (higher to lower priority) in my scenery library?is GEX a landclass.....if not, what is it?thanks..........Bill

i have both GEX NA and scenerytech NA installed. do they complement each other or is one redundant? i also have orbx PNW installed. what order should they be (higher to lower priority) in my scenery library?is GEX a landclass.....if not, what is it?thanks..........Bill
Gex is purely texture replacement, no landclass. When using PNW you don't need to worry about scenery priority, just use the FTX mode switcher...it will take care of any priority issues.Bryan.

If you have installed any of the Ultimate Terrain X series of programs, then there is a specific placing of any landclass necessary. Even though the FTX switcher does indeed take care of things for you, I'd still install any landclass below the FTX entries in the Add-On scenery library.

I'm surprised that you bought GEX and Scenery Tech and have no idea what you bought. The product description of each product states what they do and what they are. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just surprised you made two purchases not knowing what they do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think a problem can exist in that the term "landclass" is often used in a casual way. I think it is more useful to think of a "landclass process" by which a texture is created by positioning and blending terrain landclass bitmaps. As a side effect, because Autogen objects are typically tied to x-y locations on the terrain landclass bitmaps, the "landclass process" also results in the placing of these Autogen objects. Several types of files are referenced in the "landclass process" via the control file lclookup.bgl and configuration file terrain.cfg.One file type is land classification data which is commonly referred to as "landclass". The purpose of the file is to assign land use/vegetation assignments to land areas. The basic land classification is modified by region data, season data and local elevation gradient data to determine a set of terrain landclass bitmaps (variations). Additional "mask" files are used to determine how the bitmaps are to be blended, and specific variations used when the bitmaps are combined into the final texture.Any of these files can be modified (really, superseded) by addon files of the same type in higher priority scenery areas. In practice, most scenery addons that indicate they change "landclass" do not supply the actual bitmaps, instead relying on the defaults.GEX works (mostly) by replacing the default textures in the "landclass process" bitmaps, changing where autogen objects are placed, and replacing the autogen textures. Note that in addition to the "landclass process" bitmaps, there are bitmaps associated with terrain vector data (features such as roads, lakes, etc) and typically these vectors have their own texture bitmaps and autogen. So it is necessary to ensure that these vector texture bitmaps look realistic when "layered onto" the final texture. That's why GEX also provides replacement bitmaps for certain of the UTX vector texture bitmaps (an important part of UTX is this terrain vector data and bitmaps).scott s..