Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Setting up multiple screens, 1:1 gauges and radios for IFR

Ok, so, here's what I'm trying to do:Set up what will eventually (probably) be 3 screens for IFR training. FYI I am running pretty low levels of everything, except maximum detail to get custom airport buildings, trees, etc. in place and visible, and I have the ground texture highest res for when I use TileProxy. Pretty much everything else is way down, though, and this is on a Dell Optiplex 330. I'm set to 20fps and have been maintaining that. I am now using the RXP T and N as well as the 430. Pretty smooth!I've been working on the "main panel" which is basically a six-pack, 2 vors, adf, the clock, whiskey compass, GPS/VOR feed for vor 1, and so far that's it. The background is a simple textured rectangle that fills the whole screen.I only have a dual-monitor card currently, so on the 2nd, I set up my radio stack, GPS (RealityXP 430) and a small out-the-window view. Eventually, I want to move the out-the-cockpit view to a position above the main view and have it fill the monitor and be the only thing on there.Except for the cockpit view, everything is just about 1:1 and I'm using two 19" 4:3 LCD monitors. (Ok, sometimes the cockpit view is 1:1 but you know what I mean..) I am not going to be using the VC.2 main questions:1) Is there a reliable way to get the various undocked windows to behave when I restart?2) Is my best bet to go with Matrox to add the third monitor?A secondary question is whether there is a guide that provides "performance hit" info and tweaks. As noted, for IFR, it's only got to be pretty minimal stuff. This is for RW IFR practice.By the way - do the runway lights always pop into life two at a time as they get closer? I couldn't find a setting to get them all to appear simultaneously.Thanks - any and all thoughts/suggestions are very much appreciated.cheersAndrew

2) Is my best bet to go with Matrox to add the third monitor?
As for your hardware question, I think there are more pertinent forums to go to for the answer, like Hardforum.com, or another AVSIM forum such as the more general FS9 or FSX forums (in the event you didn't do this in the first place). I'm sure you're aware that people will probably focus on upgrading your Optiplex 330, however, before they offer ideas for a triple monitor solution. In my opinion, there are much better triple monitor solutions available than the Matrox (triple head to go, or something like that), but they require more modern mobos and/or graphics cards.Good luck,Bob

Thanks Bob -In fact, I thought about posting the 3-monitor question in the hardware forum, but thought I'd try here first since 2 of them will primarily be to host 2D panels. I honestly don't know how much system overhead is needed to do basic instrument-only screens though.I'd still like to hear any suggestions you have for a multiple-monitor solution.Thanks,Andrew