Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sorensen_DK

NGX (video)memory use

Hi all.I have a OOM problem that I would like to have fixed. I seem that when I fire up the sim with NGX I use appx 85% of my video memory (55 - 60 % with the default BE58). When I undock windows on 2nd monitor and look around etc. the memory builds up, and I get around 99%. My RAM memory are around 50% (4GB on WinXP 32bit system).My though was to change the old "GTX280" with a new 2GB "GTX-somthing smart", but I read somewhere that if I did so, I was really if for a rough ride, as FSX is a 32bit software and cannot handle more than a combined 4 gb memory. I think Ryan from PMDG Support was supposed to write an article about this, but I have not been able to find it.Can anyone help me with this issue?Another thing that I do not understand is that my FPS is almost allways the same - not really good, not really bad (around 15 - 25) But it is hard to either improve it or even trying to get lower FPS. If I use REX HD clouds or 512x512 - no difference. Thunderstorm clouds in multiple layers or no clouds - same, same..This makes me believe that my performance problems is not in my videocard, but more a CPU problem, but I can see that almost no CPU resources are used by FSX, and having a i7-2600K CPU (not overclocked) with an old GTX280 videocard I would think the bottleneck would be the videocard. I do not know much about computerhardware, and just asked my fried to put together a computer that kicked &@($* together with my old GTX280 card....but I really did expect more :-)But LOVE the NGX, only problem is that its not for FS9 Money Eyes.gifBest RegardsBjarne Sorensen/Denmark

Upgrade to Win 7 64-bit, Win XP 32-bit can only utilise 3.5gb of RAM (and it's not very good at it). The extra 500mb should solve your OOM's.I run NGX, ASE, RC, REX 4096 textures, FS Recorder, EZDOK, Shade, add on airports on 4GB RAM with 7 x64 without any problems.Next step would be to upgrade the video card.

CRAIG MACPHEE • Core i5 4690K • GTX 460 1GB

pmdgswitch.jpg

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

45%
    $11,475.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now