Sign in to follow this  
Christoph Langguth

More than 999 scenery layers?

Hi everyone,while browsing around the posts here, I noticed how some people were discussing what happens when there is a LOT of addon scenery installed.My question isn't so much about what the maximum number of layers is with FS still working properly -- (that would still be an interesting aspect though, so feel free to answer and let's find out who has the most sceneries installed LOL.gif ). Personally, I'll probably never get anywhere close to 1000.Rather, it's about how they are actually represented in the scenery.cfg. The background is that I'm the author of autower, and autower reads the scenery.cfg. Because of the format of the section names (e.g. "Area.001") until now I was convinced that the maximum area number is 999 (and my program behaves accordingly). However, if more than 999 layers are supported (and installed), the consequence is that the program will simply be ignoring some layers -- which would be a bug.So, for those of you who have more than 999 layers installed -- could you please let me know how areas "beyond" 999 are named in the scenery.cfg? Is it as simple as "Area.1000", "Area.1001", etc.? Or is it encoded in some different manner? Maybe it's easiest if you can just post a corresponding snippet of the configuration file...Thanks for your help & cheers!Chris

So, for those of you who have more than 999 layers installed -- could you please let me know how areas "beyond" 999 are named in the scenery.cfg? Is it as simple as "Area.1000", "Area.1001", etc.?
Yes.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Hi everyone,while browsing around the posts here, I noticed how some people were discussing what happens when there is a LOT of addon scenery installed.My question isn't so much about what the maximum number of layers is with FS still working properly -- (that would still be an interesting aspect though, so feel free to answer and let's find out who has the most sceneries installed LOL.gif ). Personally, I'll probably never get anywhere close to 1000.Rather, it's about how they are actually represented in the scenery.cfg. The background is that I'm the author of autower, and autower reads the scenery.cfg. Because of the format of the section names (e.g. "Area.001") until now I was convinced that the maximum area number is 999 (and my program behaves accordingly). However, if more than 999 layers are supported (and installed), the consequence is that the program will simply be ignoring some layers -- which would be a bug.So, for those of you who have more than 999 layers installed -- could you please let me know how areas "beyond" 999 are named in the scenery.cfg? Is it as simple as "Area.1000", "Area.1001", etc.? Or is it encoded in some different manner? Maybe it's easiest if you can just post a corresponding snippet of the configuration file...Thanks for your help & cheers!Chris
[area.1092]Title=Alpha Ventus WindparkLayer=1092Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=C:FS2004SCAlpha Ventus WindparkRemote=[area.1093]Title=PeopleLayer=1093Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryPeopleRemote=[area.1094]Title=Static Objects LibraryLayer=1094Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=Addon SceneryStatic Objects LibraryRemote=[area.1095]Title=ExcludesLayer=1095Active=TRUERequired=FALSELocal=C:FS2004SCExcludesRemote=Guenther

I believe you can have as many as you want - BUT once you hit that magic number of sceneries that FS9 will limit you to (not sure if its 1000 or a little more) - you can't use FS9 itself to add the sceneries into your library.You will have to manually edit the scenery config from that point on as the scenery list inside FS9 will only show a set amount of sceneries.This is all, as far as I know.If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.I rarely use FS9 itself to add my sceneries anyways as you have to add them and then exit and then go back in for it to become active.I work in the IT field so working with the files isn't that big a deal for me but I can see it being bothersome for some that aren't as computer savy.Thanks.

Hi,just to follow up on this: based on your replies, I've been experimenting a bit with the scenery.cfg to see how different changes are reflected in FS9 itself. What I've come up with is the following:The section name as such, in fact, does not matter at all. As long as it starts with "Area.", FS will consider it. For example, section names such as "Area.LIMC" are perfectly acceptable to FS, and are correctly considered. The ordering (in terms of priority, as shown in the built-in scenery library) is established solely through the "Layer" attributes of the individual sections.I realize that this information is probably not terribly relevant to the average user; however, it might be useful if you need to programmatically make sense of the scenery.cfg.Well, in any case, thanks again for your input!CheersChris