Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

New AI TIMELAPSE vid for XP10

Maybe the other thread is getting too polluted with 'technical' discussion, so let's start fresh and positive here?http://youtu.be/dmX6n26VQSAI can watch those landings all day

Looks pretty good. Lack of AI aircraft and an interactive air traffic control system are two primary features that kept me from making the switch from FSX to X-Plane (the other is an easy-to-use flight planner). If XP10 can deliver at least two of those features then it would be enough to make me seriously consider a purchase.

Maybe the other thread is getting too polluted with 'technical' discussion, so let's start fresh and positive here?

I can watch those landings all day
Your impressed with that? One, the planes are taking off at weird angles. They climb then descend? The landings (or should I say crash landings) are even harder then even FS AI! Oh and was that a go-around I saw at 2:26, before even reaching the threshold? Definitely not a proper missed approach pattern. With the information from the blog posted in the above thread, stating AI is still limited to 20 aircraft, and that they will follow you around, means they won't be following any kind of flight plan. This to me is a big let down, and shows X-Plane still has a long way to go in this department. Maybe in the future it may improve, but for now it doesn't look good!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Your impressed with that? One, the planes are taking off at weird angles. They climb then descend? The landings (or should I say crash landings) are even harder then even FS AI! With the information from the blog posted in the above thread, stating AI is still limited to 20 aircraft, and that they will follow you around, means they won't be following any kind of flight plan. This to me is a big let down, and shows X-Plane still has a long way to go in this department. Maybe in the future it may improve, but for now it doesn't look good!!
Keep in mind this AI/ATC is all new for X-Plane so I assume it still needs some fine tuning etc. The landings could look harder than they are because of the time lapse.I agree that 20 AI for now is quite a limitation. However keep in mind that they don't simply follow you around, I quote Chris Serio (X-Plane AI/ATC developer, from http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/10/atc-description-of-a-system-pt-1/ ):"Planes are spawned in a certain radius around YOU. If you just happen to file to the same airport as one of those AI planes, and you leave around the same time as him, and you have similar speeds as him, he’ll be with you the whole time. What that means is that AI planes are not spawned just to buzz you and then disappear, they’re all on real routes with real intentions to get from airport A to airport B. If they happen to get outside of that certain radius, where you can’t see/hear them, they’re deleted by the system and respawned somewhere useful to you.So if you flew from Heathrow to Gatwick, there would be planes departing and arriving Gatwick as you arrived."Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Keep in mind this AI/ATC is all new for X-Plane so I assume it still needs some fine tuning etc. The landings could look harder than they are because of the time lapse.I agree that 20 AI for now is quite a limitation. However keep in mind that they don't simply follow you around, I quote Chris Serio (X-Plane AI/ATC developer, from http://www.x-plane.c...-a-system-pt-1/ ):"Planes are spawned in a certain radius around YOU. If you just happen to file to the same airport as one of those AI planes, and you leave around the same time as him, and you have similar speeds as him, he’ll be with you the whole time. What that means is that AI planes are not spawned just to buzz you and then disappear, they’re all on real routes with real intentions to get from airport A to airport B. If they happen to get outside of that certain radius, where you can’t see/hear them, they’re deleted by the system and respawned somewhere useful to you.So if you flew from Heathrow to Gatwick, there would be planes departing and arriving Gatwick as you arrived."Marco
Yes but he goes on to say"If they happen to get outside of that certain radius, where you can’t see/hear them, they’re deleted by the system and respawned somewhere useful to you. Which means it's still simulated to keep traffic in your area."This is simply not realistic!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Your impressed with that? One, the planes are taking off at weird angles. They climb then descend? The landings (or should I say crash landings) are even harder then even FS AI! Oh and was that a go-around I saw at 2:26, before even reaching the threshold? Definitely not a proper missed approach pattern. With the information from the blog posted in the above thread, stating AI is still limited to 20 aircraft, and that they will follow you around, means they won't be following any kind of flight plan. This to me is a big let down, and shows X-Plane still has a long way to go in this department. Maybe in the future it may improve, but for now it doesn't look good!!
Who said it was finished!? Geez, some people have nothing good to say!

Danny

Yes but he goes on to say"If they happen to get outside of that certain radius, where you can’t see/hear them, they’re deleted by the system and respawned somewhere useful to you. Which means it's still simulated to keep traffic in your area."This is simply not realistic!!
Uhm... I think that's the best solution to cope with the limitation to 20 AI. In other words, if an aircraft gets out of the radius where you can see it, why continue using resources for it?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hey Tom, once an AI plane gets a certain distance away from you in FS 04 or FSX, the very same thing happens. Don't think that FS is running worldwide AI for you.

Hey Tom, once an AI plane gets a certain distance away from you in FS 04 or FSX, the very same thing happens. Don't think that FS is running worldwide AI for you.
Of course graphically it doesn't, but it does in Database form. When an AI aircraft goes out of range in FS, you don't suddenly get a new one spawned to take it's place. That is what is stated in the developer blog how X-Plane is modeled. In FS, you only get the planes that should be there, from the beginning of the flight to end of it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Hello JimToo right, loads of folk love Ultimate Traffic 2 and that program just spawns the ai 20mins before departure.

Of course graphically it doesn't, but it does in Database form. When an AI aircraft goes out of range in FS, you don't suddenly get a new one spawned to take it's place. That is what is stated in the developer blog how X-Plane is modeled.
Well my hope is there will be a logic in the spawning... No aircrafts spawning in the middle of the sky from nowhere eheh.E.g. when an aircraft gets out of the radius, a new aircraft could appear at the outer limit of the said radius, closing in. Or a new aircraft on the ground could contact ATC and begin the pushback/taxing etc.However I agree that giving users/developers the possibility to input flight plan schedules (as in Ultimate Traffic etc.) would be an essential feature to make ATC/AI interesting and realistic.Marco

Tom,"What that means is that AI planes are not spawned just to buzz you and then disappear, they’re all on real routes with real intentions to get from airport A to airport B."Just like the AI planes in FS.

Hello JimToo right, loads of folk love Ultimate Traffic 2 and that program just spawns the ai 20mins before departure.
As stated, I'm not questioning the distance of when AI gets spawned. In FS if you have 3 aircraft, in your area, say AA1 DL4 and UA6, and AA1 leaves, you will be left with DL4, and UA6. With X-Plane though you'll now have SW2113, DL4, and UA6. Understandable with the 20 aircraft limit, but still not realistic.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Tom, try to keep the imagery in the "Default" area. This is default AI. No one knows whether 3rd party AI with realistic airlines and flight plans can be implemented into XP10 yet. It's a "wait and see".

Your impressed with that? One, the planes are taking off at weird angles. They climb then descend?
I've watched the video again. Quite a few planes do not lose altitude, as they must be light. The ones that lose alt are banking quite tightly, as you know this can reduce lift. Then they convert altitude into speed and off they go.Anyone notice all the little GAs in amongst the big boys? Cool!