Sign in to follow this  
anakletor

Kg vs Lbs

Which unit are you european fellows using? I wonder whether european airlines (except for UK?) use Kg as their fuel unit.

Yeah I agree with Matthew and can speak on behalf of any of my employers as using KG, in particular an Irish airline who operate solely the NG.

Metric is the way forward over here in Europe... odd that it never seemed to hold for altitudes though ;)Andrew

Yeah I agree with Matthew and can speak on behalf of any of my employers as using KG, in particular an Irish airline who operate solely the NG.
Ryanair lol? :D

Ryanair lol? :D
Couldn't possibly say yes but a sly wink ;) haha

I agree. It's quite simple, 1000kg (= 1t) is about (a bit less) the weight of a Porsche 911. Love.gif
Haha! I've never seen a dispatch showing fuel load as 6.4 Carreras!

Which unit are you european fellows using? I wonder whether european airlines (except for UK?) use Kg as their fuel unit.
UK airlines use kg as far as I'm aware. Well, Virgin does anyway.

I'd guess most of the world is metric. I don't know of any European country which is not metric, certainly as regards flying. It's mainly the USA which is not, but in terms of the numbers of aircraft movements that's a very large proportion of course.The UK, like the USA, is not fully metric, but our metrication has gone further and aviation is in KG, deg C and HPa. It gets confusing with visibility as RVR is in meters but visibility is in statute miles. European visibility is reported in kilometers, IIRC.Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg

Metric is the way forward over here in Europe... odd that it never seemed to hold for altitudes though ;)
Seems like the Russians are the only ones who are consequent in this regard... Whistle.gif
It gets confusing with visibility as RVR is in meters but visibility is in statute miles. European visibility is reported in kilometers, IIRC.
That is correct. RVR is meters, CMV is meters or kilometers above 5km (IIRC) as well, no mix of units here. Everything is meters, period. Kinda like it. Angel.gifsig.gif

Seems like the Russians are the only ones who are consequent in this regard... Whistle.gifThat is correct. RVR is meters, CMV is meters or kilometers above 5km (IIRC) as well, no mix of units here. Everything is meters, period. Kinda like it. Angel.gifsig.gif
Yepp, I think the Chinese are using purely the metric system, too and one day....However, I would prefer the metric system as well. If you are reading reports from Boeing they are also using metric runway length and elevation data. Outside aviation the (whole) world of scientific and research is metric. Nonetheless, due to flightsimming for about 25 years I'm used even to think in feet and knots (but not in PSI and things like that).

Regards,
Axel

The UK, like the USA, is not fully metric, but our metrication has gone further and aviation is in KG, deg C and HPa. It gets confusing with visibility as RVR is in meters but visibility is in statute miles. European visibility is reported in kilometers, IIRC.Kevin Hall
All vis in the UK is reported in meters, RVR or otherwise.