Sign in to follow this  
John Regan

FSX will not start

Hello everyone,I recently tried to reinstall FSX. When FSX starts up, I get an error message that windows has a problem and is shutting down. I ran FSX on this computer without any problem. Anyone know of a possible solution for this problem?Thanks,John

Guest jahman

Check the Event Log and report back (Control Panel --> Systems and Maintenance --> Problem Reports and Solutions --> View Problem History).Cheers,- jahman.

Hello everyone,I recently tried to reinstall FSX. When FSX starts up, I get an error message that windows has a problem and is shutting down. I ran FSX on this computer without any problem. Anyone know of a possible solution for this problem?Thanks,John
Try removing your fsx.cfg file (it could be corrupt) and let FSX build a new one if it restarts OK.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked in the app data folder for the FSX.cfg file. There is not a file in the folder. FSX will build scenery database then quit afterwards.

FSX.cfg is in Usersyour usernameAppdataRoamingMicrosoftFSXSceneryfile is in the ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX - you might take a look inside it - deleting it is going to remove all your custom scenery

That is the folder that I looked in. The cfg file is not in there at this time. I think that it part of the problem.

Make sure you have ''show hidden files and folders'' checked in folder options.

That is the folder that I looked in. The cfg file is not in there at this time. I think that it part of the problem.
In that case... reinstall as far as I can see dry.png

Guest firehawk44
Thanks for the reply. I have looked in the app data folder for the FSX.cfg file. There is not a file in the folder. FSX will build scenery database then quit afterwards.
The 'cfg' extension to FSX.cfg will not be showing when you look in the directory. Look for FSX and delete that. That is the FSX.cfg. If you see no FSX or FSX.cfg in that AppData folder, then restart FSX, and FSX will rebuild the config for you.Best regards,Jim

Here is the event log from the problem report:Problem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: fsx.exeApplication Version: 10.0.60905.0Application Timestamp: 44fd0a92Fault Module Name: ntdll.dllFault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18327Fault Module Timestamp: 4cb7341cException Code: 80000003Exception Offset: 00010004OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3Locale ID: 1033Additional Information 1: ed42Additional Information 2: d67a8df53cb923b26bc4c2dfc836c8ebAdditional Information 3: 641cAdditional Information 4: 720853abbcf4acd327975e9172425edcFSX crashes before it can build a cfg file.

Did you attempt to install FSX new?ntdll.dll is a system error. Not FSX.But if you can't find fsx.cfg, it either isn't there, which would worry me, or it is there, thus the problem is in the system.This can come from anything - over windows fault, drivers...

hey John,Are you overclocking your rig? I see this error a lot when systems are clocked to the max. Windows may not have the wherewithal to actually create the FSX.CFG file on installation. Also, always run the setup.exe as admin (unless UAC is disabled) and also run FSX as admin (I'd just disable UAC; it's easier!)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

In that case... reinstall as far as I can see dry.png
The 'cfg' extension to FSX.cfg will not be showing when you look in the directory. Look for FSX and delete that. That is the FSX.cfg. If you see no FSX or FSX.cfg in that AppData folder, then restart FSX, and FSX will rebuild the config for you.Best regards,Jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you have ''show hidden files and folders'' checked in folder options
Put bluntly, Failure to heed this advice will have you searching for the FSX.cfg file untill you dieYou cant find it b'coz it hidden....?....Your system is hiddin the cfg file becuase you have probably installed into C:Program files.Program file are protected to stop you changing somwthing that will stop a program running...so the perfect example is a CONFIGURATION FILE (.cfg...fsx.cfg...) of a program..HENCE WHY U CANNOT SEE IT!...Enable ''Show hidden Files and Folders'' in folder options...i.ve seen this so many times on so many diffrent systems, so im quite confident in what i say.If for some reason this does not cure your problem,and you want to ask for more help, then please give us some tools to work with.Like:System SpecOperating systemLocation of installUser Account Control..on or off?Without this info we are all only guessing.Hope that helps you John.

I have similar issue some time ago and nailed last logbook entry - deleted it and FSX was working. You can try to move logbook.bin somewhere else and try to start the app.