Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

LOT emergency landing at Warszawa, Okecie.

I'm no real pilot but even I can tell that the work of the pilots and emergency services at Okecie airport today was just superb. No casualties - fantastic :-)News in Polish only but the film is self-explanatory:http://www.tvn24.pl/0,1722771,0,1,klopoty-boeinga-nad-okeciem,wiadomosc.html

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest bstolle

I am a real 767 pilot (and surprised that such a fault can happen on a 767) and I'm very impressed. This landing was absolutely 100000% perfect.

Wow..I'd be more than happy to fly with that pilot again! Shocked.gifGoing by how soft the landing was, do you think the plane will fly again?Couple new panels, bit'a sticky tape .. maybe a zippy tie LOL.gif

I'm a real pilot but not a commercial pilot... But I have been on LOT Polish Airlines and have flown from OHare to Okecie 14 times on these same 767's on LOT. I've always been impressed with their crews.

Guest bstolle
Going by how soft the landing was, do you think the plane will fly again?
Definitely yes

Isn't that the sort of landing that elicits remarks like, 'Are we down yet?'Didn't look like the pilot needed the gear...

I saw that on the news earlier today. That took a LOT of luck (pun intended) as well as consummate skill to pull off so successfully!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wonder how you say Sully in Polish?Very impressive. Even more impressive is two such landings in a little less than 3 years with zero injuries to speak of.Aviation is a very safe means of travel, even when things go wrong.Braun

According to Sully (in an interview on CNN today), this is the first time a 767 has had a failure of all 3 landing gear.If I recall correctly, there was a famous incident involving an Air Canada 767 in the 80's (the Gimli Glider) with total engine failure and loss of hydraulics, and landed with a collapsed nose gear.The image of the Air Canada incident in my mind was the first thing I imagined while watching footage of the LOT landing.

Yep, some of the pax where asking if they already landed, others thought they have normaly with gears. Just some knew and have been very scared and went out in panic.Fantastic job that the pilots have been able to do a belly landing by the book like they have trained in simulator many times.Now the investigations will be on the go how it could happen that all of the gear did not came out! But better so than if only say the left and front would have... to land with such an situation i mostly inpossible without much big damage.

Guest bstolle

the 767 checklist and manuals state that landing with any available gear is preferable to landing without gear.You never train that in the sim. It's either one of the mains that doesn't extend (or collapses upon touchdown) or the nose gear during these sessions as it's very unlikely that none extends :wink:On the 767 it's just a small guarded toggle switch that starts the alternate gear extension. If switch doesn't you are out of options.

There's a fan page of Cpt Tadeusz Wrona at FB:http://www.facebook.com/KapitanWronaFP?sk=wallHe will become a hero here, in Poland. I think he truly deserves this.I heard in the news, that pilot is an amateur of gliders, and the skills trained in silent wings helped him a lot landing in an unusual wayThe 767 still rest on the runway. Okecie (EPWA) Airport is consulting with Boeing how to remove the 100 Tones from the runway.Passengers were not aware of the landing failure, to keep them far from panic.

I noticed that the ground spoilers didn't come up on landing... A good call by the flight crew to keep the aircraft from crushing the engines?? ( keep stable ) Full/Partial hydraulic failure to the spoilers too or pilot option ?? Yeah I know there was no WOW (Weight on wheels) LOL!Anyhow -- WHAT A GREAT JOB BY THE CREW!Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

This amateur video gives a good impression of the speed of the aircraft when landing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUoqzG67-w&feature=player_embedded#!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Um, spoilers were UP in this last video...Bernt, is the emergency toggle still hydraulic systems dependent? I'm surprised that there isn't a means to unlatch and use gravity drop for the gear...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator