Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

Cost index

Hey,i am finally can can enjoy the ngx 737, with the new sp1, now i have question about the cost index because i think that what causing my problem.when i am doing a flight and filing the perf page after i fill the index the max cruise altitude is 157, i am filing the cost index with 100, the zfw i am just clicking on the 3L twice and it fills it automatic, so what am i doing wrong how can i make the max altitude be higher? thanks in advance,Daniel(:

I always use about Co of 20, whats your flight plan

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

my flight plane is not always the same(: but i always do shorts flight as i am using vatsim( i need to be next to the computer all the time) so i filled it with 100 as i said earlier, thanks(:

I found that using too high of a cost index will have you fly too fast. I use 25 usualy and 30 when in a hurrytongue.pngI guess you could use 100 if there is no wind and you are not afraid of overspeeding the AC. RW ops usualy use around the same as I do.Just my 2 cents

I use 28. I fly NGX in airBaltic livery and I think this is the index they use for their Classics.

SWA uses 20 for their cost index. But I've see as low as 8 and up to 74 for different aircraft.

hey thanks, does it really metter how much index i take? to the altitude?
It does matter for the whole of your flight. CI of 100 is way to much./ Leffe

If those short hops are too short it may limit your cruise altitude. Try setting up a longer flight with the same payload/fuel to see if it goes up.

A CI of 100 is too much for the 737. I use CI 25. GOL Airlines uses 27. I think that even though the CI seems to be low, It doesn't make much difference in speed. It will only vary between M0.78 and .79, .80 perhaps. For flights the 737 usually does, a M0.02 difference in speed doens't make much difference in EET, if at all. The fuel spent when using a high CI doesn't compensates for the 5 minutes, if that much, that you'll gain. And a high CI will give you a heck of a headache on descent, because you'll be going down like a rock. CI 27 will give you a good descent speed, of 267 KIAS.

Matheus Mafra

If you use a cost index of 100 and then try to descend with VNAV your going to be doing a 330 knot descent. Good luck slowing down! cool.png Example, a cost index of 36 would give you a 280 knot descent which is more reasonable.

I do appreciate that it can be pretty intensive reading, but it's detail like this that makes the study of the manuals SO important and enlightening.I would have to agree that using anything over 80 is waaaaay excessive, and causes many issues, especially on descent.I've settled on 22 and 33

I started a flight from Wichita, KS to Dallas Love recently and set the cost index at 30. Weather was 25C. Gear up flaps up and autothrottles set at climb power and the 600 would only climb maybe 500 ft/minute at 180 kts. A clean bird at climb power should be going through 10K climbing at 3,000+. Whats the problem?

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)