Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

Flaps! Help!

I love the JustFlight Flying Club X PA28. Basic looks and VC but flies just like the real thing. Apart from the flaps. When you bring in some flap the aircraft flips up like a startled horse. Bring in two stages at the same time and you'll end up looping the loop. BackwardsHypnotized.gifActually it's not THAT bad but I'd really like to reduce the effect the flaps have on the pitch of the aircraft.Can this be done in the aircraft.cfg? (I have looked but was too scared to try and change anything..).If not I'll just have to accept it but would be interested to know so if any more knowledgable forumites could help then please let me know!Thanks,Adam

Hello, Adam!I could be wrong about this, but I think the amount of pitch up/down is set in the .air file.I take it you're a RW pilot (by your avatar) so the question I have for you is:Could you adjust the Elevator Trim to compensate before extending the Flaps? For that matter, it probably isn't prudent because that would lower the nose too early placing you in a shallow descent... I'm not a RW pilot so I'm curious.Alan

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Hi Alan,Yes I suspected it may be an .air file adjustment so I guess I'll just have to live with it,When extending or retracting flap I was taught to anticipate what the aircraft will do (ie flap down - aircraft pitches up, flap up - aircraft sinks) and make a prompt (but smooth) pitch adjustment using the yoke/stick whilst operating the flaps. Once you've completed the manouever you then trim the aircraft.All aircraft react differently to flap changes. Some are more sensitive than others. The PA28 can balloon or sink quite rapidly if you don't get on the yoke soon enough but not to the extent that the JustFlight model does.Apart from that minor niggle it still flies beautifully and to the book figures.Cheers,Adam

Guest jahman

Don't be afraid to edit the aircraft.cfg file liberally! Yiou will *not* have to answer t the NTSB! Big Grin.gif(but make sure you make a backup copy first!)The variable you want to look for is: "pitch_scalar" in the "[flaps.0]" section. I would assume values > 1.0 increase the pitch moment beyond what's defined in the .air file, while values < 1.0 decrease the effect.Alternatively you can dive into the .air file itself via Air Wrench (see. p. 17 of the User's Guide) or also freeware AAM - Aircraft Airfile Manager v. 2.2.Cheers,- jahman.

Aircraft Airfile Manager. The section you're looking for is 1101 Primary Aerodynamics, pitch section, Cm_df Pitch Moment - Flaps, 0.XXThe XX representing the numbers which will alter the amount of pitch, leaving your aircraft.cfg all neat and pristine. Use a negative number(-0.XX) for nose up, and positive number (0.XX) for nose down.AAM will make a backup of your existing airfile.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.