Sign in to follow this  
Nick Barber

i thought my pc was decent.. maybe not?

Hi Guys, first time post, long time avsim/msfs fan, (sorry if this post is in the wrong area, first time posting in any sort of forum..so please bear with me)i installed FSX + acceleration pack and also installed PMDG 744 with orbx australian scenery and my pc struggles to play it within bearable framerates (my guess would be about 11-15fps, most settings on normal). I honestly thought my system would have been good enough, but obviously not.. any one got any reasons as to why my system cant play fsx (i can play crysis with fairly high graphics settings bear in mind) and most importantly, any tips to make my FSX more like a game and not like a slideshow?my specs:amd phenom x6 1100t @ 3.6ghzMSI radeon R6850 cyclone edition 1gb4GB ram1TB hddwin7 64bit

FSX tends to not really use all the power of Radeon videos cards. Another reason would be the CPU, you can do some overclocking to that CPU but the fact is that Intel does usually give you a better experience for the clock frequency and core. For FSX which doesn't use many cores, u want higher powered and less cores.

ive got it overclocked to 3.6ghz at the moment, but it gets pretty hot with the stock cpu heatsink/cooler, im just not too sure of what i should do at the moment, whether i should buy a good CPU cooler and a gaming case with good ventilation/fans or just slowly start saving up for an i7 pc.... either way, its eating out of my european travel funds ha ha!

Hold onto your money and start saving up for an i5-2500k system. It's not as expensive as you might think.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

First use Bojote tweak and the shader model 3.0 , go for the hyper 212+ cooler from cooler master it is a good budget HS.The 1100 should give you decent FPS but may get lagged due to the faster HD card.Yes and if you are planning on changing from AMD to Intel than the i5 2500k should do the job.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

i just build a 2700K OC's @ 4,8ghz from using a AMD 970 BE @ 4,0ghz for a year. I see very little if any difference in FSX, same little stutters etc, and spent over 200.00+ more for a CPU! So, don't wast your money buying a new MB and CPU!
Somehow I just knew that would be your conclusion biggrin.png. Meanwhile, everybody here told you the 2600k and 2700k would show no benefit over the much cheaper 2500k. Anyway, I think you just haven't flown in aggressive enough scenery. Load up FSX and all your addons in a busy location that would typically bring FSX to its knees and I promise you will see a difference.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I saw this coming too. I don't even think he really got a 2700K

i just build a 2700K OC's @ 4,8ghz from using a AMD 970 BE @ 4,0ghz for a year. I see very little if any difference in FSX, same micro stutters etc, and spent over 200.00+ more for a CPU! So, don't wast your money buying a new MB and CPU! Now FS2004, fantastic! With a better cooler you should be able to boost your CPU clock to 4.0ghz.. Your video card should be fine! FS very,very CPU dependant not GPU. GPU may give you "prettier" but not much for performance.
You're just kidding, right?Kind regards,

just bought myself a cooler master V8 cpu cooler today, now all i need to do is learn how to overclock..

i just build a 2700K OC's @ 4,8ghz from using a AMD 970 BE @ 4,0ghz for a year. I see very little if any difference in FSX, same micro stutters etc, and spent over 200.00+ more for a CPU! So, don't wast your money buying a new MB and CPU!
What a cruel joke. LOL.gif