Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Poller

Still have that speed problem....

Gotta say that SP1 improved my flight experience a lot, but i still have the main problem unsolved:bellow 10000ft the plain fails to maintain 240 knots and keeps increase speed until 270kts (forcing me to use the spoilers too much).... and when on final, i have to bust the flaps speeds and to lower gear earlier that usual to achieve the VREF speen before TD.....it makes manual landings more difficult and surely unrealistic.i don't have that problem with any other add-on i use (PMDG 747, MD11 and LevelD 767).what am i doing wrong?Can someone advise?Jonathan

Jonathan Poller

Banner_FS2Crew_Bus6.png qw787_banner.png

Make a screenshot when this is happening please.Also mention your GW and engine idle N1.Bert Van Bulck

it makes manual landings more difficult and surely unrealistic.i don't have that problem with any other add-on i use (PMDG 747, MD11 and LevelD 767).
maybe we all have to acknowledge that the NGX is neither a 747,MD11 nor 767, but a very unique plane with a special "character" tongue.png

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Gotta say that SP1 improved my flight experience a lot, but i still have the main problem unsolved:bellow 10000ft the plain fails to maintain 240 knots and keeps increase speed until 270kts (forcing me to use the spoilers too much).... and when on final, i have to bust the flaps speeds and to lower gear earlier that usual to achieve the VREF speen before TD.....it makes manual landings more difficult and surely unrealistic.i don't have that problem with any other add-on i use (PMDG 747, MD11 and LevelD 767).what am i doing wrong?Can someone advise?Jonathan
Jonathan!1. Finish all of your CDU input. "Preflight Completed.2. Check your "Take off ref" page in CDU, so your Trim was set accordingly. Also set your V2 on the MCP now.3. Check your " Act Route Leg" in CDU to verify your speed and altitude for those first wp.4. When all set up on MCP, and time for departure.......throttle to 40%...verify stable....press TOGA (TO/GA)5. 3 deg slowly lift off reaching 15 deg on PFD. Follow the "Flight bar Command" on PFD (should be V2+20)6. Raise Landing Gear, At 300´ RA, press LNAV or your Heading (=Roll mode)7. At thrust red. height (800` RA) press N1 button and verify Climb Thrust, change also speed from V2 on MCP to some 2258. At acc. height 1500´ begin your flaps retraction. After that press VNAV and then CMD A (Autopilot)To make it simpel......Set LNAV and VNAV when lined up. Press CMD A after you feel no pressure on stick or yoke.If you do like this, you only have to set V2 speed on MCP. VNAV will get the speed from FMC computer as soon it become effective.One NOTE though......LNAV wont work if your first waypoint is more > 5 NM from airfield and also in opposite dir.In that case follow your magenta plan on ND via Heading knob, until you can engage LNAV.MOST IMPORTANT IS that you don´t have some disko in your Flightplan (CDU)That could cause that you loose speed and altitude...../ Leffe

Jonathan!1. Finish all of your CDU input. "Preflight Completed.2. Check your "Take off ref" page in CDU, so your Trim was set accordingly. Also set your V2 on the MCP now.3. Check your " Act Route Leg" in CDU to verify your speed and altitude for those first wp.4. When all set up on MCP, and time for departure.......throttle to 40%...verify stable....press TOGA (TO/GA)5. 3 deg slowly lift off reaching 15 deg on PFD. Follow the "Flight bar Command" on PFD (should be V2+20)6. Raise Landing Gear, At 300´ RA, press LNAV or your Heading (=Roll mode)7. At thrust red. height (800` RA) press N1 button and verify Climb Thrust, change also speed from V2 on MCP to some 2258. At acc. height 1500´ begin your flaps retraction. After that press VNAV and then CMD A (Autopilot)To make it simpel......Set LNAV and VNAV when lined up. Press CMD A after you feel no pressure on stick or yoke.If you do like this, you only have to set V2 speed on MCP. VNAV will get the speed from FMC computer as soon it become effective.One NOTE though......LNAV wont work if your first waypoint is more > 5 NM from airfield and also in opposite dir.In that case follow your magenta plan on ND via Heading knob, until you can engage LNAV.MOST IMPORTANT IS that you don´t have some disko in your Flightplan (CDU)That could cause that you loose speed and altitude...../ Leffe
It sounds to me that his speed management problem occurs on descent and approach.

Dont know about other parts of the world but in the UK for sure you have to be at 250kts or below, below FL100. perhaps the NGX is just flying the speed constraint on the STAR. Which would be correct. 220 knots for approach manouvering 180 in the final approach turn and then no speed restriction on final approach.Which is all perfectloy normal.Wycliffe

It sounds to me that his speed management problem occurs on descent and approach.
Ahaa...maybe he meant that!....Sorry.But then he has to slow down earlier after he passed 10 000´ and use Lvl Ch and the speed window on MCP.Common fault by some....TO HIGH, TO FAST when approaching/ Leffe

Don't know where to start with this one, as I have no issue of this kind. Speed management is paramount in the NG, but it does slow down, you just havbe to plan correctly...We need much more information to debug this...Andrew

You should try flying a Cessna 421!No just kidding. Not really.The -800 is just a slippery aircraft. Also the more you weigh the longer it takes to slow, especially in a bigger jet. Use those spoilers, that is why they are there. Each airplane has it's own descent profile and the trick is to overcompensate a little (get down early) untill you get it. Altitude x 3 = distance is a little high in the -800. Altitude x 3.5 is a little better.

I have to agree here slightly, I'm fully aware of how slippery the 738 is...and the need for effective speed management etc. however I too find that sometimes following a normal standard vectoring pattern, with early speed control etc, even with use of spoilers etc that the plane fails to lose or maintain speed, instead increasing. Even when flying with a significant headwind.I vector them for real, and have spent some time on flight decks and sims of them. And although very aware of how slippery they are, I do feel that in the sim, it's a little too slippery. I find to that I'm having to use gear and flap settings far earlier on approach in order to reduce a lot of speed that wouldn't be sometimes quite as necessary. I have found that if I artificially force the throttle levers back further by having f1 button commanded to repeat on one of my throttles I can better manage the speed sometimes, as it gives me a lower thrust setting. I know that pmdg tweaked the n1 and n2 settings for the sp1 but feel it still needs further modification, the idle thrust settings at various parts of the descent and approach I feel are still too high, which results in the speed issue.I don't feel the issue is completely with how slippery it is, it's the idle thrust settings are still a little too high..or how they get interpreted by fsx.

You have the antiice systems on during that part of descent? Antiice active increases the engine thrust for the increased load. Your descent profile may have to take that into account. What rates of descent are commanded by vnav when you pass through FL100?Andrew

Thank you guys for the answers.to make things clearer:I have no problem during takeoff, climb, cruise and decent (until 10000ft). I only experience after the plane slowed down to 240kts on 10000ft. when the plane continues it's decent the speed slowly gaining until 270, and even with the spoilers deployed I can get to 250 minimum. when i am on final approach i find myself much too fast and i need to extend the flaps much earlier than i should and to lower the gear to slow down towards the VREF.N1 is showing ~40 on idle during that speeds. i just cant slow it down properly. i tested it with or without weather....same.i gotta say that with the first version of the ngx i didn't experience that..... it only started after one of the hot fixes. this is why I completely uninstalled the product and re-installed +SP1 and 600-700 model as well....i will post a picture soon after i will complete another flight

Jonathan Poller

even after decelerate part the plane is too fast and never reaches the target speeds, and on final i rarely even make it to the VREF on TD

Jonathan Poller

even after decelerate part the plane is too fast and never reaches the target speeds, and on final i rarely even make it to the VREF on TD
If you don't come up with facts (screenshots etc...) we won't be able to help you...Bert Van Bulck

Plan your descent early enough so your VS isnt too high, and use SPEED mode to set your speed instead of the FMC commanded speed. I usually start down about 30 miles before the TD and it computes it too late usually and results in too fast a descent cause speed issues. My VS initially is around 1500 fpm and lowers to around 900fpm as I get lower.

Jay