Sign in to follow this  

What distance do you turn your APP on ?

It seems that after SP1 I can't no more catch the glide despite I always hit it at the correct altitude, around 10NM from the runway depending on the airport and runway of course.Of course this seems to be my fault but which is the distance from the runway you turn your APP on ?My LOC works like a charm but my APP it always fails also to turn on after SP1 and yes I have both F/D on, both course set and both ILS properly set , I can see on the efis the correct ILS runway ID.I check the glide distance into my FSC 9 and I should be fine regarding the distance but it seems I miss it by lot of Nm when I am precisely on the glide.I am puzzledThx

It seems that after SP1 I can't no more catch the glide despite I always hit it at the correct altitude, around 10NM from the runway depending on the airport and runway of course.Of course this seems to be my fault but which is the distance from the runway you turn your APP on ?My LOC works like a charm but my APP it always fails also to turn on after SP1 and yes I have both F/D on, both course set and both ILS properly set , I can see on the efis the correct ILS runway ID.I check the glide distance into my FSC 9 and I should be fine regarding the distance but it seems I miss it by lot of Nm when I am precisely on the glide.I am puzzledThx
This has happened to me as well-probably something that I'm doing (or not doing). I too have everything set correctly.

It's not a matter of distance, but when it's live on the PFD. Once the needle begins to drop, gear down, flaps 15, and arm APP mode.- John

It's typical to arm the app mode as you are capturing/ have captured the LOC. The only difference is when you have captured the LOC and you are descending and you are still above the glide slope. In the real world you have to be careful in this situation so that you don't capture the infamous false glide slope. But you don't have to worry about it in FSX.

After cleaning up and then pressed VNAV, after that CMD A. Usually some >1500'/ LeffeEDIT!!!Ha ha...missread that OP post. LOL.gif APP usually when one line left for the diamond to go.

I usually hit the approach button wen I am abouut 10 miles out; but once the pfd need drops on the right it is and us abiout i dot button above the main line that usuually when i hit it.

It happens on each runway I tried recently, let's say 4-5 different runways among third party airports like f.i. Fly Tampa Vienna or Zurich from aerosoft.To be on the safe side I usually tend to stay slightly lower than the perfect altitude, just to avoid to bump over the glide you know what I mean.@ Sesktifire : Do you mean the option in the FMC to catch the glide before the LOC ? If you refers to that nope, I left it as default because I do not like take the APP before the LOC.I tried a manual approach once, just to test, I was approaching far far away and it worked but I was around 30nm away from the runway and you know that some approaches point you straight almost into the glide maybe just after a 90 degrees curve, that's my nightmare. If I approach straight a glide from 30nm then it seems to work fine, at least in my single test instead.-

A screenshot would be very very helpful !!!!As John said above................does your glidslope come alive on the PFD ??Are you sure it is a full ILS runway that you are landing at ?
1) I will try to post one, do I have to use FRAPS for that ?2) nope, on the annunciator I do not see any glide reference neither white nor green.3) nice question, how can I know that ? Landing on these runway ( image attached ) I guess those runways are all ILS qualified. ( screenshot taken from FSC )loww.pngUploaded with ImageShack.usHere below the ILS highlitghed for runway 16 at LSZH where you can see the altitude is 5000ft, the distance to commence the glide around 13nm, I tried inserting myself into at 4850ft to be sure.Do not look at the VOR selection on the right, it is just to show the glide orizontal and vertical path.ilse.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

Are APP when the GS indicator is about '1 dot' high and you are on the localizer, works every time.

Jay

In normal conditions, arm APP as soon as you capture the LLZ (or LOC).Bert Van Bulck
If the APP turned green I would do that for sure but the lazy APP button has an ego to massage and I am not always in the best mood to please it.

Do you have the G/S On/OFF button pressed to on, on the FMS app page?
This may be my problem..I'll check it when I get home.