Sign in to follow this  
meccadom

Approach Heading RC vs FSNavigator

How do you explain the discrepancy in runway information that is displayed by approach in RCv4 and that which I see in FSNavigator afcad, For example, at EGLC runway 09 is displayed by RC with a heading of 91 degrees while the afcad in FSNavigator is shown as heading 98 degrees.Is there a solution for this? Please excuse me for asking as I cannot find an appropriate posting using the search function.ThanksDom

Did you run the FSNAVOBC in FSNAvigator? Also did you run Makerwy in RC? Run FSNAV OBC as admin. Everything in FS and RC should line up then.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I always run FSNAVOBC in FSNAvigator and run Makerwy in RC (using update RC database) after adding, deleting or changing anything that is scenery related. Any other thoughts? Sould I run Makerwy independently of update RC database?Dom

do not run makerwys on it's own. only click the rebuild rc scenery database button.i imagine the difference you see is magnetic variation.where do you see the display that you are wondering about?jd

Hey JD....I see the display in FSNavigator in map mode by focusing on the airport afcad and mousing over the runway endpoint which brings up the box detailing the ILS identifer, frequency, heading etc.Dom

In 2009 the mag variation at EGLC was 1.7W with an annual change of .14E. The default FS9 airport has a variation of -3 for a mag heading of 95.9. The freeware UK2000 EGLC released a couple of years ago has the same mag heading and variation.If you are using a more modern release it would change by a degree or so but not as much.Apparently you have a newer version as you are getting a different runway numbering, not easy to do in FS afd files.FSX might be different but not much. Today the published ILS setting is 94 degrees. In the EGLC default and UK scenery the ILS inbound heading is 95.9.I haven't run version 4.3 for a while. Where are you reading 91 degrees in RC?Did you install any scenery that changed the magnetic declaration file in FS?

Thanks for the reply, Ronzie. Let me say that I am using FS9, RCv4.3 and the new London City Xtreme scenery by Gary Sutton.The 91 degree heading is displayed along with the runway designator (09) and ILS frequency (111.15, designator ILST). The corresponding reading in FSNav is 98 degrees. No big deal as I usually use the reading from FSNav in setting my course.I am not familiar with scenery software that changes the magnetic declaration file in FS other than the AFCAD bgl that is included with the scenery, Dom

First make sure your makerwys and FSUIPC is up to date with the ones references by the links pinned at the top. If makerwys.exe is updated run from within RC the scenery rebuild again after the install.When you run the scenery update be sure you put in the path to the FS9 folder. I keep mine in a text file to paste in every time. You then should see makerwys give a start dialog which you ok and then watch it count up runways and airports terminating in a finished dialog for you to OK. The you see RC pop-ups to OK first building r4.csv then a4.csv. Wait a minute after OK'ing the complete box of finished building a4.csv.The only departure from this scenario is if RC resides on a network client to an FS host. In that case you run makerwys.exe in your FS folder first.To verify your RC files updated go into the properties of the r5.csv file in your FS folder and get the date/time stamp it was modified. In your RCv4\data folder get the date time stamp of r4.csv which should match very closely the date\time stamp of r5.csv. RC copies r5.csv from your FS folder as r4.csv in your RCv4\data folder.Finally if you want to verify makerwys gave the proper priority follow this procedure:When you rebuild the scenery database a log file is created in your FS folder called runways.txt. This is a large file that should be loaded in Word or Wordpad.Search for EGLC. That first section has a path pointing to the stock airport.The rest of the sections are paired with a delete section followed by an add section with each pointing to the scenery folder involved.Repeat your EGLC search. The last pair of EGLC sections is the dominant high priority scenery set which forms the data for RC. The path for each section within that pair should be to your UK EGLC Extreme scenery folder. Any preceding sets for EGLC (except the default) might represent a conflict if they don't point to that same folder.

Hello Ronzie;I checked the runways.txt file and this is the result:Airport EGLC :N51:30:18.8985 E000:03:15.7291 17ft City Name="London" Airport Name="London City" in file: E:\scenery\UK2000 scenery\UK2000 London City Xtreme\scenery\af2_eglc_UK2xTRM.BGL Runway 9 /27 centre: N51:30:18.7365 E000:03:15.5345 17ft Start 9 : N51:30:18.0562 E000:02:43.0148 17ft Hdg: 2.9T, Length 4849ft Computed start 9 : Lat 51.505550 Long 0.043645 Offset Threshold primary: 479 feet Start 27 : N51:30:15.7238 E000:03:57.3239 17ft Hdg: 2.7T, Length 4849ft Computed start 27 : Lat 51.504856 Long 0.064985 Hdg: 92.990 true (MagVar 1.600), Concrete, 4849 x 98 ft Primary ILS ID = ILST Primary ILS: ILST 111.15 Hdg: 93.0 , Flags: GS DME BC "ILS/DME 09" Secondary ILS ID = ILSR Secondary ILS: ILSR 111.15 Hdg: 273.0 , Flags: GS DME BC "ILS/DME 27" *** Runway *** EGLC0090 Lat 51.505550 Long 0.043645 Alt 17 Hdg 91 Len 4849 Wid 98 ILS 111.15, Flags: GS DME BC *** Runway *** EGLC0270 Lat 51.504856 Long 0.064985 Alt 17 Hdg 271 Len 4849 Wid 98 ILS 111.15, Flags: GS DME BCI have also attached a screen print of the visual representation as it appears in FSNavigator. I am not trying to make an issue of this but am more curious than anything. Your comments please?Dom

I have also attached a screen print of the visual representation as it appears in FSNavigator.
Where does FSNav get its data from? Way back in the late 90's (probably also about the time FS2004 Magvar data was probably frozen), the ILS direction in Magnetic terms was 97 degrees. It is now at most 94.
I am not trying to make an issue of this but am more curious than anything. Your comments please?
The new scenery from UK2000 is based on really up to date information. The figures Gary uses are probably more up to date than my latest charts, which are from Navigraph (9th March 2011).Using a sim as old as FS2004 with up to date scenery will always introduce some anomalies unless all of the add-ons you are using get their information the same way. It seems Navigraph has information fixed for the way things were at or before FS2004's release. Radar Contact is using information derived from the scenery you actually installed since then.Doesn't FSNav have any facilities for updating its data so it relates correctly?RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Doesn't FSNav have any facilities for updating its data so it relates correctly?
Hi Pete. The Navigraph FMC service includes an option to download updates for FSNav. If Dom subscribes to that service maybe an update will help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

There is also the caution that planner data updates based of current data sites such as Navigraph could have differences from scenery properties actually installed in FS. The FS world is what matters for airport data during planning and navigation. Enroute information is not as critical as FS gets its enroute navigation coordinates from the plan but aircraft navs work based on what is observed in the afd properties (afcad) of the airport scenery including for ai the 'invisible' approach data layer.If a Navigraph AIRAC update for the airport area does not match the installed scenery that can cause problems for non-RNAV raw data matching the navaids of the airport scenery.This thread is about differences in raw data collection for use by aircraft nav equipment in particular ILS/LOC navigation on final. This data is provided by makerwys for RC and some other utilities. If Navigraph data is used and differs from the FS world then those instruments may not acquire the correct information. In addition Navigraph FMC updates may show an additional facility such as a new runway where it has not been installed in FS scenery.Pete's makerwys utility should really be used by by planners or some aircraft FMC terminal databases to keep all in sync with the FS world. It extracts data from the afd layers in airport scenery which is what the aircraft sees.

Hi Pete. The Navigraph FMC service includes an option to download updates for FSNav. If Dom subscribes to that service maybe an update will help.
Hi Ray,Yes, I do subscribe to Navigraph and update at each new AIRAC cycle release. Interesting discussion, eh?Dom

Hi Dom,Having thought about this a little more I don't think the Navigraph updates affect the airport data. They're more for keeping the navigation waypoints up to date.The NATS site shows the true heading as 92.89, magnetic is 94. I have no idea why FSNav is so far out but RC is within 1 degree so I'd use that one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather