Sign in to follow this  
Geoffreycfp

Need To Install W7 64 bit on 32 bit HD

This may seem a very basic question for you but please bear with me. I spend all my time on a Mac and only keep a MS partition to run FSXNow I have W7 32 bit version installed and want to install the 64 bit version. From what I can tell I need to wipe the drive and start from scratch to do thisMy questions relate to the various addons and other third party s/w I have on the HD. What is the best way to copy those for reinstall later? Just drag the programs over to a backup disk before wiping? Something else? Reinstall everything from scratch (if i can find all my records for purchase to re download?From the old days I seem to recall that MS files are sorta broken up into all kinds of bits in different locations do dragging a folder may not have all the bits in itAny help on this would be most appreciated. Thanks so muchGeoff

hi,you are right in that you must reinstall windows - you cannot upgrade from 32 bit (x86) to 64 bit (x64).now because you cant upgrade your OS, you generally have to reinstall everything. though backing up and restoring folders can help to a certain extent, most programs make use of the Windows Registry, AppData and System folders which is complex and dangerous to backup.i find its nicer to just reinstall.

Guest firehawk44

Agree with Micky. To add -- if you don't reformat or repartition your harddrives, Windows will save your old system files in a folder entitled Windows.old. So, if you want some of your old system files or want the documents in My Documents, etc., you can look in there. It's still best to back up all your personal documents though just in case something goes bad with the installation of the new 64 bit system.Best regards,Jim

Laplink has a utility that will probably do what you want - move everything from one system to another, even 32 bit to 64 bit.http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/They don't guarantee that all 32 bit programs will work in a 64 bit OS, though, but that is normal.Best regards.Luis

I would create a backup of every file (Norton Ghost, Acronis...) of the W7 32bit (well, actually system backup, not only files), wipe it out and install 64bit from scratch. If case something goes wrong, or does not work as it used to be, You can restore some of the files (like logbook, saved FPLs, FSUIPC config and so on). Good luck!