Sign in to follow this  
btacon

RealAir Turbine Duke question

Hello. Just upgraded my Beech Duke B60 to the Turbine. My question is simple. My Turbine's airspeed indicator redlines at 200 knots (see screenshot), but the owners manual and every video of the Turbine I've seen shows VNE at 235 knots. When I took the aircraft up for a spin today it would hit 200, overstress then crash. This is taking the fun out of my fun!Is it a configuration switch that I am missing somewhere, or is there an issue with the installation? Everything else seems fine, and the aircraft flys wonderfully, albeit it seems to fly very "hot" (fast).TIA,Braun

I believe 200 kts is correct, it changed from the original release. You may have seen 235 for Vne for the original BE60 piston duke...You can see in this video, around 1:02, that redline is indeed around 200kts... I think it's 198 or something in real life...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

but the owners manual and every video of the Turbine I've seen shows VNE at 235 knots. When I took the aircraft up for a spin today it would hit 200, overstress then crash.Braun
Hi Braun,Here is one website that shows in a piston Duke AFM a Vne of 235 kts. http://www.griffinstudios.tv/duke.htmlWhenever a piston aircraft is converted to a turbine, the yellow arc is removed and the top green becomes the new Vne (for FAR structural compliance). Technically... Vc (max design cruise) is to be the new Vne.I was looking for articles on the Turbine Duke, as there is nothing stated (re: airspeeds) in the STC (No. SA01672SE) nor on the Northwest Turbine website (holder of the STC and who does the conversion). I did manage to find one article on AOPA's website ("Turbine Pilot Beech Model 60 Duke - Ruler of Performance") that states the Royal Turbine's (what Northwest calls the Turbine Duke) new redline speed is 198 KIAS.And yes... the writer of that AOPA article noted too the new redline was "easy to exceed at lower altitudes".

Indeed I manage to crash it twice yesterday while going to level flight from a climb and while descending Angel.gifI think it makes you a prudent flyer and a swearing one... Praying.gif

RobdeVries.jpg

There have been Cessna simgles converted to Allison 250 turbines and they too have the yellow arc removed. With the turbine conversion comes more power and usually a higher altitude is attainable and thus a higher TAS is realized along with reduced fuel flows. The conversion of the Duke to turbine must make one really nice personal machine.

Indeed I manage to crash it twice yesterday while going to level flight from a climb and while descending Angel.gifI think it makes you a prudent flyer and a swearing one... Praying.gif
I believe RealAir recommends that you turn off crash detection in FSX. This will stop FSX getting upset and restarting the simulation.I do agree it is very easy to overspeed the Duke Turbine especially at lower altitudes but that's all part of the fun IMO and it forces you to fly the aircraft in a disciplined way.

The Turbine Duke has an Vne of 198 kt thus of some structural changes and compilance with the FAA standards. It everything all right with the arc. This has been discussed with the guys over there numerous times.

I believe RealAir recommends that you turn off crash detection in FSX. This will stop FSX getting upset and restarting the simulation.I do agree it is very easy to overspeed the Duke Turbine especially at lower altitudes but that's all part of the fun IMO and it forces you to fly the aircraft in a disciplined way.
Indeed, and with crash off you get a nice buffet effect and shake above 200 to warn you about your speed. Also with out the crash on you can enjoy making those gear up landings with lots of added special effects after touch down.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

All: Thank you very much for the prompt and insightful feedback. My take-a-ways are:* 200 kts is the appropriate VNE for the turbine B60* Turn off the crash detection...you'll have less headaches and gear-up landings are a hoot to watch! :-)Braun