Sign in to follow this  
Alfa159

Aircraft Will Significantly Dip Right For No Apparent Reason

When hand flying the aircraft, it will without warning suddenly drop the right wing before I have to correct it to retain control. Does it at all altitudes. Joystick has been calibrated many times and it doesn't do it with other aircraft. Any ideas?

Turbulence or abrupt wind changes from weather updating possibly

When hand flying the aircraft, it will without warning suddenly drop the right wing before I have to correct it to retain control. Does it at all altitudes. Joystick has been calibrated many times and it doesn't do it with other aircraft. Any ideas?
Hello Anonymous,Are other pilots reporting this problem?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I've only had this once on my last online flight, over the treshhold, one a/c holding short. At about 50 feet or less, all of a sudden, the plane got simply kicked off to the left, there was nothing I could do. No idea what could have caused this, the weather (winds) was perfectly fine.Robert

You need to sign your full name on posts here, or the mods may simply terminate the life of your thread...Sounds like a windshear event... FS doesn't do it well... you have windshear enabled through some 3rd party weather generator?Andrew

I've only had this once on my last online flight, over the treshhold, one a/c holding short. At about 50 feet or less, all of a sudden, the plane got simply kicked off to the left, there was nothing I could do. No idea what could have caused this, the weather (winds) was perfectly fine.Robert
Your problem sounds like wake turbulence.To the op: It really sounds weather related to me. Try a few flights with calm skies to see if it happens again.

Thanks for your replies guys .... it's not the weather because I made sure I had the calmest weather settings when trying to determine the cause .... given the fairly realistic responses of the aircraft this is quite an abrupt sudden movement ....always the right wing dipping and I can be turning left or right or flying downwind, upwind or have a crosswind and it still occurs. Might have to do some more problem solving ...... doesn't occur with any of the other add on aircraft I have so thought it may have been a problem that others have experienced. Anyway I'll press on . Cheers.

There are several related threads about this.Yesterday, I've encountered a sudden bank to the left with only a few hundred meters approaching the runway (SP1 installed)It has been a while since i had this issue.... Before (pre-SP1) it happened a few times and always on an approach (and only with the PMDG NGX)I used to think it was related to the Saitek Yoke/Rudder callibration because when starting some 'saved' flights (having left the NGX at the gate) the Yokes were pointing to the right or left (ailerons were deployed in this state) when starting up this saved flight. Only when endlessly moving the aileron trim the Yokes/ailerons would respond and turn back to neutral positionOr, it must have had to do with the wheather settings in ASE.So I installed SP3 for ASE and disabled any wind/turbulence effects .... or so i thought.And didnot encounter the issue ever sinceThat was all before SP1What happened yesterday? At the moment i cannot check my ASE settings but i recall seeing an aircraft on the runway.So, it's either this WAKE TURBULENCE or is has something to do with Ultimate Traffic 2.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I've had a similar issue, haven't really had time to investigate it though. Seems to mainly occur on takeoff or short final. I had been assuming it was either ASE generated wake turbulence (which I turned down from 100 to 20, still occurs but might be less severe now, again haven't had much time to look into it) or a calibration/noise issue with my x52.

Are you guys calibrating your controllers before you leave the gate? Even if you have AXIS and Calibration setup in FSUIPC it still good idea that you calibrate to avoid any spiking issues, before you leave the gate. Go back to the desktop and My Computer, Control Panel, Game Controller. In there move your sticks around in a circle motion and if you have pedals do those too. Some will say you don't have to do this if your are calibrated in FSUIPC but it does help. I have found sometimes that if I do not do the above, then when I turn off the autopilot on final sometimes the aircraft will be extremely sensitve and just the slightest motion in one direction can flip the plane.So best thing to do is before your top of descent turn the auto pilot off and bank left and right to be sure you still calibrated and if not then pause sim go into control panel and repeat above. Once your sure everything is smooth turn autopilot back on and start your descent. Better safe than sorry!As stated above turbulence needs to be off with the NGX. You have 2 options to do this. Either tick Turbulence Box in FSUIPC or use the one in FSX. There is no getting around this, if you do not tick one or the other your going to have s-turns and experience the plane wanting to fly a different hdg that you set. It is not an NGX problem it is FSX and poor weather depiction and turbulence. If you gonna be stubborn and leave it on then you will just have to accept the bizarre behavior that happens when you run into turbulence.

Are you guys calibrating your controllers before you leave the gate? Even if you have your AXIS setup in FSUIPC you still have to calibrate. Or at least I do with the X52 Pro. Before you push back go back to the desktop and My Computer, Control Panel, Game Controller. In there move your sticks around in a circle motion and if you have pedals do those too. Some will say you dont have to do this if your are calibrated in FSUIPC but it does help. I have found sometimes that if I do not do the above, then when I turn off the autopilot on final sometimes the aircraft will be extremely sensitve and just the slightest motion in one direction can flip the plane.So best thing to do is before your top of descent turn the auto pilot off and bank left and right to be sure you still calibrated and if not then pause sim go into control panel and repeat above. Once your sure everything is smooth turn autopilot back on and start your descent. Better safe than sorry!As stated above turbulence needs to be off with the NGX. You have 2 options to do this. Either tick Turbulence Box in FSUIPC or use the one in FSX. There is no getting around this, if you do not tick one or the other your going to have s-turns and experiencing the plane wanting to fly a different hdg that you set. Blame FSX is not the NGX fault is bad FSX Coding and Since Turbulence is completey screwed up and not realistic at all your better leaving it off.
Thanks for the tip.Being such a great and responsible pilot myself (ahum) i always do the control surfaces check just before take-off. I sort of consider the indicators on the lower DU identical to what you would outside FSX, meaning the interface of the particular joystick callibrator software .... and if all's OK inside the NGX then i assume yoke and rudder are callibrated well? I hate leaving the plane.The callibration check in the middle of a flight (just before TOD) doesn't really add to the realism but if it'll help it's worth a try. always better then a dissapointing approach at the very end. I take it that i could do a full bank to left and right with the yoke and deploy full left and right rudder with the pedals as well before TOD. Then when i have really annoyed the passengers i'll switch over to LNAV/VNAV again ....:)But seriously, i am going to check whether indeed i have or have not switched the wake turbulence off in ASE SP3. I still have the feeling that THAT is the issue here.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I havn't hade this issue with the NGX, but talk about a coincidence.I was watching Air Crash Investigations (Aka Mayday or Air Emergency) on National Geographic last night, and the episode was about two crashes and one incident with the same problem in real world flights, with the difference being that it occured on the -200/300 series.More info here.But I doubt it should happen on the NGX for this reason since the failing part have been remodeled as a cause of the findings of the NTSB.

But seriously, i am going to check whether indeed i have or have not switched the wake turbulence off in ASE SP3. I still have the feeling that THAT is the issue here.
Just so there is not confusion here. I was not talking about wake turbulence in ASE. I was talking about weather turbulence.

Well, in my case it might have been wake turbulence as the twr controller asked a plane for immediate departure from the same rwy I was landing on.But again, this was the only instance so far.Robert