Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

thinking about upgrading to gtx580 either 1.5 or 3.0 gb

Going to upgrade my computer to either a gtx 580/1.5gb ir 3.0gbFrist of all here are my specs: Cool Master half 932 windows 7 64 bit, fsx on its own drive, velcoraptor, evga x58 sli le, 980x processor, overclocked to 4.4ghz, 6gb of mushkin memory, and 2 video cards gtx 285, but use only one since fsx does not take advantage of sli, using driver 280.26 and nivida inspector as well/ along iwth 27" DEll monitor. still see some stuttering with PMDG 737-800 ngx, that is my major issue.Here are some questions if you can give me some good real decednt advise1- do you think with the gtx580 that might smooth things out a bit ????? Yes, I know its expensive2 would 3.0gb be more beneficial than 1.5gfb for FSX-would appreciatee all of your advise, and other thing have tired other drivers they all seem the same thats why its time to finally update my video card, instead of buying a whole new system which I cant afford now.

VRAM helps when running high resolutions like triplehead or NVsurround, also as you bump up AA etc it gives you more headroom. I bought a 2gb card as i am a 3head user and found the extra Vram helped but dont expect it to do anything for FPS as it wont, infact it may drop it slightly as your GPU has to work harder to address the larger memory.Its your choice but you must use a 64bit OS with these large cards, its a question of is the machine for now or do you plan adding more screens to itif its just to drive one screen my advice would be save your $$$$oh to add when I went from my 285 to the 480 I didnt notice anything changing in FSX, its all down to the CPU speed. Put it this way I went from a GTX8800 ultra to a 285, the 8800 is now in my old PC which I use to play crysis 2 ets and it works brilliant, FSX will never really benefit much from GPU upgrades as its the software architecture of FSX which is the Achilles heel

Hi,If you measure performances there will be a noticeable difference from a 285 GTX to a 580 GTX. Your OCed CPU is fast enough to feed the GPU beast, providing the rest of your components pull their own weight. It also seems to me that the 3gb version would benefit the system somewhat over the 1.5gb version, all things being otherwise equal.Kind regards,

It seems to me it would definitely be benefical upon upgrading my computer to a gtx 580, and with a bit more memory than 1.5.thanks so much, Stephen and KandRonny

Today I was at Microcenter, now here is my problem my specs are at the top of this topic, forgot t menton that my computer is 1,000 watts power supply.I was checking out the video cards for 580 gtxMy question then is which card would you buy, budget is not an issue here. 1- Evga Geforce GTX 580 1536 MB -cost =499.99 2-ZotacGeForce GTX 580 3072mb cost =539.99 both cards have the same core clock speed - 772 Mhz The main diffference is that one has one and a half gigs of memory and I am a big fan of EVGA Yet the zotac has 3 gb of memory. would this extra memory help fsx thats my main issue or it would not make much of a difference Tell me which one should I purchase ????

Going to upgrade my computer to either a gtx 580/1.5gb ir 3.0gbFrist of all here are my specs: Cool Master half 932 windows 7 64 bit, fsx on its own drive, velcoraptor, evga x58 sli le, 980x processor, overclocked to 4.4ghz, 6gb of mushkin memory, and 2 video cards gtx 285, but use only one since fsx does not take advantage of sli, using driver 280.26 and nivida inspector as well/ along iwth 27" DEll monitor.still see some stuttering with PMDG 737-800 ngx, that is my major issue.Here are some questions if you can give me some good real decednt advise1- do you think with the gtx580 that might smooth things out a bit ????? Yes, I know its expensive2 would 3.0gb be more beneficial than 1.5gfb for FSX-would appreciatee all of your advise, and other thing have tired other drivers they all seem the same thats why its time to finally update my video card, instead of buying a whole new system which I cant afford now.
I remember a previous post re the issue of 1.5 or 3 GB. At the time I had a 3GB Evga GTX580 and the advice from Ryan on the PMDG NGX forum was the 3GB Ram would take up VAS and possibly cause the system to crash. On the advice on the forum I sold the Evga Card a bought a MSI N580GTX with 1.5 GB of memory. I don't know if I have done the right thing but what I do know is that if I have the AA set to 32X, the videocard memory goes to around 1532GB according to MSI Afterburner when landing at FSDT KLAX with the NGX. Both use 4096HD textures. Even though the memory on the card was this high the system still performed as normal.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

also forgot to mention addons with my 27 monitor at 1920-1200, basically want to make the ngx run a bit smoother still get some stutters as well with sp1 so what would be better t smooth out ngx the EVGA or the Zotachere are my addonsrex2 with overdrive, gex utx ut2 fs dreamteam jfk and Ft. Lauderdale, and fly Tampa rebooted.pmdg 947-400, j41, 737 ngxcaptain sim - 727, 757, and 707airbus xlevel-d 767super 80 professionalthus what should I gowith in video memory and just overall, the EVGA or the Zotac.thanks Ronny

Well today I bought my evga 580gtx 1.5gb and thanks for everybodies advise, much appreciated.Now is there anything I have to do about installing this new video card ? I am using divers 280.26 on my current 285gtx, and my 980x is oc to 4.4ghz.Really need some good advise cause I want things to work right.