Sign in to follow this  
Guest jahman

Madeira Funchal (LPMA) 3,300 ft (1,000m) Runway Bridge

St.Maarten, Kai Tak, Funchal, Innsbruck, Skiathos, Lukla, Courchevel or Tegucigalpa have simply always been icons of aviation when it comes to approaches.But, again, it is like with all other types of knowledge: some know a lot, others not so much. I agree it comes as a surprise a longtime simmer knows nothing of LPMA.On the other hand it is great to see how the MFS series plays an educative role and I am not talking only about aircraft's avionics and operations. smile.png

So, any of you heard of Tegucigalpa? Also a pretty famous airport. Crazy approach in the pre-2006 situation.
Lol, I was going to mention that one as well. I thought Tegucigalpa was pretty well known as well due to the approach.Another two in Brasil that you would think most would know due to their interesting approaches would be Santos Dumont and Congonhas. Congonhas doesnt have a difficult approach, but its short runway surrounded by buildings.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jahman

I brought up Funchal for the civil engineering aspect, but if the difficulty of the airport is of interest, try landing at the Island of SABA (TNCS) with its 1,300 ft RWY:Saba_airport.jpgIt is served by a single airline (Winair, that I would be tempted to rename "Splash!")

1. Details,
  2. (Pilot says: "Damn, that's short!"),
  3. (This guy does an off-axis approach and only uses half the runway!)

Then of course there's also deep mountain valley Paro International (VQPR), Bhutan ("Gateway to Shangri-La"):Paro_Airport.jpg

1. Details.
  2. (Private G-IV. The big white mountain in the background is Everest. Nine minutes of approach next to the mountains! Better pull the circuit breaker on the GPWS! Nice guitar soundtrack.)
  3. (Easy in the Druk Air A-310, but can you depart RWY33 in a B-377? Wish Aerosoft would do this airport...)

Cheers,- jahman.

Guest jahman
In the meantime you can use a very nice budget version by Thai Creation.I've made a few approaches using this addon and they were very enjoyable.http://secure.simmar...intl-vqpr.phtml
Many thanks! Unfortunately it seems to only work for FS9.Cheers,- jahman.

Unfortunately it seems to only work for FS9
Oops, sorry! Didn't think of it!As an FS9 user I sometimes take things for granted...blush.png

Jahman,Thanks for the phenomenal "heads up" on this. I would have never known about it. What a great forum!Stan

I have several of those mentioned and yes, there are frequent posts in the FSX forum just from me alone, begging for info on how to correctly make the approaches etc.The Madera scenery from Aerosoft is brilliant, if perhaps a little small in coverage. Then again they're a bit errr.... limited aren't theyLOL.gifI also HIGHLY recommend the MHTG Toncontin package by LatinVFR too, even if is now a bit long in tooth. Got mine at SimMarket I think.Lots & lots of threads about some of those airports and approaches in the PMDG forums also. Including some brilliantly detailed information.These fields are just fantastic when combined with the new 737NGX

I recommend this FREE Saba package.... It TOTALLY changes the airport from concrete on a flat surface with surrending trees to a beautiful mountain with the short runway. Here: http://flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=127642Probably the best freeware I've seen.
Not free, but the one that comes with FlyTampa's St. Maarten is pretty nice as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yep, Saba is also pretty nice. Never tried it to be honest, but I do have the FlyTampa scenery for it.Been watching videos of Madeira now, and I must say I had no idea of the approach into that place. Guess I just never came across a thread that talked about it. It's a pity that it's so far away though... Just don't see myself flying that distance. Although, then again, I do the same for Hond Kong.Phil: How is the Aerosoft scenery limited? From the screenshots it looks pretty good.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

It's a pity that it's so far away though... Just don't see myself flying that distance
It depends on where you are usually based in your sim. If you always fly from one place (e.g. Amsterdam or Tel Aviv) it does seem far away.In other case you may try flying a RW route from Lisbon to Funchal, which takes less than 90 minutes. That's how I do it usually.

That's exactly the problem indeed. I don't have a particular base, but most of my flights are around North and West Europe. While I do have scenery for Madrid and Lisbon, I don't really want to install sceneries that I probably will use once and then get rid of. Lisbon is exactly such a scenery...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The reference to the Aerosoft scenery being 'limited' really was meant to be tonge-in-cheek. Just referring to the fact that it MUST be limited by the size of the Island, and that of it's small military neighbour (LPPS), included in the package. That is a 10 minute flight. Great for practicing take offs the great R/W05 approach.

it's small military neighbour (LPPS)
Well, not exactly, to be precise. wink.png Porto Santo is successfully serving as an international (mainly charter) airport with airlines like TAP, White, SATA, Thomsonfly, Jetairfly, TUIfly, Air Berlin, Travel Service, Neos or Transavia.As for the idea of practicing Funchal approaches, I wholeheartedly agree!